Census

Started by Maguire01, March 30, 2012, 09:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ard-Rí

That Polish thing is media spin. Take the blinkers off lads.

Total Irish speakers up 7%, in line with the total population, also total number of weekly speakers up 7%. Offhand, 2002 yielded a result of 1.54 million Irish speakers, 2006 yielded 1.66 million, and now 1.77 million means that we are progressing quite nicely. Not so good news with native speakers, as the figures are fairly static, only showing a minor increase. However, there is good news as the Gaeltacht regions like the rest of the country have a young population and with work this can be converted into a strengthening of the Gaeltachtaí. Finally we are beginning to get it right, and I can't help but feel TG4 plays a huge part in promoting the language, beyond that attributed by even its most enthusiastic supporters.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Ulick

Quote from: Myles Na G. on March 31, 2012, 11:47:28 PM
Here's another thing. There are more Polish speakers than Irish speakers in Ireland. In the north, there are more people for whom Mandarin Chinese is their first language. Do we need to do something about the road signs??

There are 4500 Chinese speakers in the six counties. (http://www.ycni.org/downloads/publications/Celebrate_Diversity.pdf). The 2001 census has 75,125 people who "speaks, reads, writes and understands Irish".

So tell me what are you getting at with the road signs comment?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Ulick on April 01, 2012, 12:40:12 AM
Here's another thing. There are more Polish speakers than Irish speakers in Ireland. In the north, there are more people for whom Mandarin Chinese is their first language. Do we need to do something about the road signs??

There are 4500 Chinese speakers in the six counties. (http://www.ycni.org/downloads/publications/Celebrate_Diversity.pdf). The 2001 census has 75,125 people who "speaks, reads, writes and understands Irish".

So tell me what are you getting at with the road signs comment?
He said "first language". My missus speaks French but it isnt her first language.

Ulick

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 01, 2012, 12:50:40 AM
He said "first language". My missus speaks French but it isnt her first language.

We all know what he was getting at. Anyhow, makes no difference whether they're native speakers or not (note difference between 'first' and 'native'). IMO there's a hell of a lot more respect due to someone who has went off and bothered to learn a "dead" language like Irish than someone who was born speaking it. Commitment.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Ulick on April 01, 2012, 12:57:40 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 01, 2012, 12:50:40 AM

We all know what he was getting at. Anyhow, makes no difference whether they're native speakers or not (note difference between 'first' and 'native'). IMO there's a hell of a lot more respect due to someone who has went off and bothered to learn a "dead" language like Irish than someone who was born speaking it. Commitment.
No one is born speaking any language.

Ulick

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 01, 2012, 12:58:42 AM

Obviously, but 75k to 5k is a hell of a margin to get wrong. Are you seriously backing up his claim there are more Chinese speakers in the six counties than Irish?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Ulick on April 01, 2012, 01:00:37 AM

Obviously, but 75k to 5k is a hell of a margin to get wrong. Are you seriously backing up his claim there are more Chinese speakers in the six counties than Irish?
Nope. Was merely pointing out that auld George Knowall was careful in his choice of words when making his statement.

Tony Baloney

Obviously the native Chinese speaker will grow up immersed in their own language. To what extent do you need to be able to speak Irish to state on the census that it is another language you speak? Obviously the smell of grant money artificially inflates any numbers associated with the Irish language but would still say it is several multiples of native Mandarin speakers.

Ulick

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 01, 2012, 01:03:32 AM

Nope. Was merely pointing out that auld George Knowall was careful in his choice of words when making his statement.

I don't buy it though. As Hardstation pointed out, Irish isn't his 'native' language but is probably now his 'first'. I'd say my wife now speaks Spanish with more fluency than English, her brother practically speaks pigeon English in comparison to his Italian after living in Milan for 6 years. My point being, even if Myles was pedantic in his phrasing, the logic is bollocks but suited him to repeat a well worn fallacy to make a petty point against perceived Fenians on a GAA Board. 

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Ulick on April 01, 2012, 12:14:19 AM

No, you should go back and read the results again.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17561881

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Myles Na G. on April 01, 2012, 11:26:55 AM

82,600 reported that they spoke Irish outside school, compared to 119000 Polish speakers. Also (and obviously this is just an opinion), there's a world of difference between someone using a language as their first and preferred means of communication (Polish and Chinese, for e.g) and someone who peppers their English conversation with 'slan' and go raibh maith agat' and then claims to be an Irish speaker. The census reflects the fact that Ireland is a modern European country which is becoming increasingly diverse in its population. That's to be welcomed. 

Maguire01

Quote from: hardstation on April 01, 2012, 01:56:43 AM
How many admitted to knowing Ulster Scots?

I mean, everyone could say that they understand it. About 50,000 can spake it.
And those 50,000 don't even realise it - they just think they have a strong Coleraine accent.

Maguire01

Why would we? Can those Polish and Chinese people not understand any English? I'd doubt that very much.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 01, 2012, 11:52:47 AM
Why would we? Can those Polish and Chinese people not understand any English? I'd doubt that very much.
Can the Irish speakers not understand English? I'd doubt that even more.

Ulick

Quote from: Myles Na G. on April 01, 2012, 11:36:04 AM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on April 01, 2012, 11:26:55 AM

82,600 reported that they spoke Irish outside school, compared to 119000 Polish speakers. Also (and obviously this is just an opinion), there's a world of difference between someone using a language as their first and preferred means of communication (Polish and Chinese, for e.g) and someone who peppers their English conversation with 'slan' and go raibh maith agat' and then claims to be an Irish speaker. The census reflects the fact that Ireland is a modern European country which is becoming increasingly diverse in its population. That's to be welcomed.

Go and get it from the horses mouth:

http://www.cso.ie/en/census/census2011reports/census2011thisisirelandpart1/

Irish Speakers (Number) Census Year 2011 Both sexes All ages

Polish Speakers (Number) Census Year 2011 Both sexes All ages