Do the People Care Anymore?

Started by behind the wire, March 28, 2012, 11:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Sliogonian the religions that believe in 'you only have one life' do not promote consumerism, materialism or anything you describe. It is the unbelief in God that promotes all these things.

If people truly followed God and the call to holiness, the world would be a much better place.

We live in a world where Atheism and Naturalism tells us we are simply evolved species with no real purpose, where nothing exists but nature and only that which is material and can be measured and explained by Science is real.

I think these things have brought us to where we are as a society today.......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Orangemac

The more people lose faith in the political system the more it suits the staus quo. In the North voter turnout has been declining steadily strengthening SF and the DUPs grip on power.Similarly in the South the more disillusioned with politics people become the more it will suit FG as their supporters will be more likely to vote.

Why has the pension never been cut in the South when other social welfare has? Because old people vote.

At the end of the day most of us only care about ourselves and what affects us. Why did a FG/Lab government managing an improving economy in 1997 get kicked out? Because FF promised people more.

As someone who has always had an interest in politics I have found myself listening to music on the way home from work rather than Matt Cooper etc over the last while and I have stopped watching Vincent Brown. Life is too short to listen to the same crap over and over again.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Hashtag on March 28, 2012, 01:16:34 PM
If i'm totally honest, as long as I can cover the basics of living every month I don't really care about all the other stuff. As long as mortgage, food, daily running expenses are covered and my peano works. I'm happy.
It's this attitude that is largely responsible for the mess the country is in. 
Me me me. I'm alright Jack, the hell with the rest of you. 

"First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me."
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

deiseach

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 29, 2012, 10:22:24 AM
If i'm totally honest, as long as I can cover the basics of living every month I don't really care about all the other stuff. As long as mortgage, food, daily running expenses are covered and my peano works. I'm happy.
It's this attitude that is largely responsible for the mess the country is in. 
Me me me. I'm alright Jack, the hell with the rest of you. 

Then they came for me

I invoke Godwin's Law on this one. End of thread.

thebigfella

Mods can we merge this with the moaning Nordies thread  ;)

orangeman

Quote from: orangeman on March 28, 2012, 10:46:33 PM
Legal Aid system badly needs looking at - there's millions upon millions of pounds being wasted by solicitors, barristers and all sorts of so called experts.

No harm in cutting back on this antiquated system of privilege.

This was timely -

NI lawyers' legal aid fees revealed

The identities of 200 barristers and solicitors' firms in Northern Ireland paid nearly £70m in legal aid fees have been revealed.

The top earning legal aid barrister was Eilis McDermott, who was paid almost £900,000. Seven firms of solicitors made more than £1m each.

The figures, for the 12 months up to last March, were revealed by the NI Legal Services Commission. Many lawyers had objected to their identities and earnings being published.

The cost of legal aid in Northern Ireland is higher than anywhere else in the world.

The figures show that another three barristers earned more than £500,000, whilst a further sixteen earned more than £250,000.

In total, the top 20 barristers received more than £8m.

When it comes to solicitors' firms, the top earner was Kevin Winters and company - they received more than £2.5m.

Northern Ireland Legal Services Commission
Twenty-nine others were paid more than £500,000 and 40 other firms received more than £250,000.

The figures do not include what the barristers and solicitors received for their private legal work.

Ronnie Spence, Chair of the Northern Ireland Legal Services Commission, said: "The commission is committed to transparency in accounting for significant sums of public money paid out of the legal aid fund.

"I welcome the continued co-operation of the Law Society and the Bar Council in the publication of this information.

"The amounts paid to each barrister and solicitors' practice listed may represent payments for work undertaken across a number of years and for a variety of cases."

Last year, Justice Minister David Ford introduced new lower, legal aid fees, which he said would result in much lower payments in future years.

Barristers and solicitors have said they believe the reduced fees will damage the quality of legal representation on offer to those who qualify for legal aid.

orangeman

Quote from: orangeman on March 29, 2012, 01:06:35 PM
Quote from: orangeman on March 28, 2012, 10:46:33 PM
Legal Aid system badly needs looking at - there's millions upon millions of pounds being wasted by solicitors, barristers and all sorts of so called experts.

No harm in cutting back on this antiquated system of privilege.

This was timely -

NI lawyers' legal aid fees revealed

The identities of 200 barristers and solicitors' firms in Northern Ireland paid nearly £70m in legal aid fees have been revealed.

The top earning legal aid barrister was Eilis McDermott, who was paid almost £900,000. Seven firms of solicitors made more than £1m each.

The figures, for the 12 months up to last March, were revealed by the NI Legal Services Commission. Many lawyers had objected to their identities and earnings being published.

The cost of legal aid in Northern Ireland is higher than anywhere else in the world.

The figures show that another three barristers earned more than £500,000, whilst a further sixteen earned more than £250,000.

In total, the top 20 barristers received more than £8m.

When it comes to solicitors' firms, the top earner was Kevin Winters and company - they received more than £2.5m.

Northern Ireland Legal Services Commission
Twenty-nine others were paid more than £500,000 and 40 other firms received more than £250,000.

The figures do not include what the barristers and solicitors received for their private legal work.

Ronnie Spence, Chair of the Northern Ireland Legal Services Commission, said: "The commission is committed to transparency in accounting for significant sums of public money paid out of the legal aid fund.

"I welcome the continued co-operation of the Law Society and the Bar Council in the publication of this information.

"The amounts paid to each barrister and solicitors' practice listed may represent payments for work undertaken across a number of years and for a variety of cases."

Last year, Justice Minister David Ford introduced new lower, legal aid fees, which he said would result in much lower payments in future years.

Barristers and solicitors have said they believe the reduced fees will damage the quality of legal representation on offer to those who qualify for legal aid.

Hashtag

Quote from: behind the wire on March 29, 2012, 09:15:35 AM
If I'm totally honest, as long as I can cover the basics of living every month I don't really care about all the other stuff. As long as mortgage, food, daily running expenses are covered and my peano works. I'm happy.

Very honest summary there. Have you ever considered that we appear to be approaching a time where the cost of basic living (as we have known it in recent times) is probably going to get too much for most of us? Or will we all just sit and wait for that day to come and then complain about it.

I personally think a lot of moaners are the ones living above their means anyway. Sky TV, fancy cars, foreign holidays every year, eating out etc. I'm chatting basic living here. I would love all the things mentioned but try to limit these things as I know the consequences if I don't manage the outflow. Diesel, food etc are costs I can do nothing about but the luxuries are.

Rossfan

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 29, 2012, 10:22:24 AM

Then they came for me

Sure you were as well out of it then if there was no one else left   :-\
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM