Why when wages are going down are prices going through the roof ?

Started by orangeman, March 27, 2012, 12:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Why in these straitened times are prices for goods and services seemingly going through the roof ?

We're going to have petrol and diesel at crazyy prices shortly and now the price of a stamp is jumping from 46p to 60p.

A first-class stamp will rise in price from 46p to 60p from 30 April after the regulator lifted some price controls on Royal Mail.

A second-class stamp will go up from 36p to 50p - some 5p below the top price allowed by Ofcom.

The regulator has allowed Royal Mail to set the price of first-class and business mail.

It claimed the future of the universal service was at "severe risk" without relaxing controls.

The 30% price rise in first-class stamps, and 39% rise for second-class, mark record annual increases.

armaghniac

The price of petrol is going up because the price of oil has gone up, no mystery about that.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

orangeman

I know about the price of oil. But there's a world wide recession on and prices are rising all over - cost if living is increasing and the price of everything is going up - is this ALL down to the price of oil ?.

Surely the price of oil needs to be curtailed or controlled more if it's all to do with oil price ?. Is it costing any more to extract the oil, process the crude oil or is it just a case of speculators driving the prices up and blaming regional instability ?.

Hashtag

Quote from: orangeman on March 27, 2012, 12:33:46 PM
I know about the price of oil. But there's a world wide recession on and prices are rising all over - cost if living is increasing and the price of everything is going up - is this ALL down to the price of oil ?.

Surely the price of oil needs to be curtailed or controlled more if it's all to do with oil price ?. Is it costing any more to extract the oil, process the crude oil or is it just a case of speculators driving the prices up and blaming regional instability ?.

Google 'Peak Oil'- Oil companies have bascially said that oil is scarce and harder to extract to drive the price up.

whiskeysteve

Because the central banks of the world and primarily the US federal reserve are printing money hand over foot to artificially boost insolvent banks, stock markets and heavily indebted economies.

The offshoot of this is that commodities across the board have surged in price. Oil, food, metals, whatever. Gold has gone up some 500% over the past decade for example.

As commodities surge in price so does transport, manufacturing and everything down the chain to the customer.

This is an international phenomenon. Rising food prices in poorer countries can spark revolutions. See the Arab Spring.

The million dollar question is how does this end? We are coming into a very dangerous phase of human history. Currency debasement and war are very real dangers in the coming years.

Aside from economic woes the worlds reserves of cheaply available oil are running out. There is plenty of oil left but at significant cost to get it out. There will be a move towards natural gas which is still in relatively plentiful supply so I would take an interest in natural gas vehicles and the infrastructure to supply them in the coming years.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

charlieTully

Quote from: Hashtag on March 27, 2012, 01:03:16 PM
Quote from: orangeman on March 27, 2012, 12:33:46 PM

Google 'Peak Oil'- Oil companies have bascially said that oil is scarce and harder to extract to drive the price up.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2012/feb/02/shell-profits-up-54-percent-oil

deiseach

Prices are not soaring. Employed a tradesman recently? They're a fraction of the price they were at the peak of the boom. Bought a car? Same deal, you get lot more bang for your buck. Heck, even the prices of most GAA tickets have gone down!

Hashtag

Quote from: deiseach on March 27, 2012, 01:17:04 PM
Prices are not soaring. Employed a tradesman recently? They're a fraction of the price they were at the peak of the boom. Bought a car? Same deal, you get lot more bang for your buck. Heck, even the prices of most GAA tickets have gone down!

I bet you fill your car up at the pumps, don't you?

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on March 27, 2012, 01:17:04 PM

A well known Gaa pub in Castlebar will frequently give you 3 pints for €10 these days.
MWWSI 2017

Puckoon

The price of mail stamps going up is world wide too. Just recently us mail decided that next day delivery for a first class stamp will no longer be guaranteed. Less people are using mail these days and the effect is knocked on. I think I post about 2 items per year. It's all electronic.

supersarsfields

Jammie Dodgers £0.49 a pack in B&M Bargins

Sure it's for nothin!!

Puck I bet the Tayto don't taste as good emailed!!

theticklemister

Don't let them kid ye. There is oil available and for a far lower price but the greedy oil merchants know that we all need it so are putting their prices higher and higher. Greed is the problem and always will be.

Incidently there maybe a oil drivers strike in britain so the army are getting prepared to oversee the duties of the striking drivers. A woman said on tv this morn that the government should do what reagan did when air traffic controllers went on strike in the U.S.; sack them all. Would not put it past the Tories!!!!!

rosnarun

and there is not a world wide recession  and even ireland is only dipping its toes into one . the world economy is still growing how ever slightly and the BRIC countries at a rapid rate .
apart from oil, Prices have never been as stable in my lifetime, and the Forces on oil prices are mainly external . esp with the weakened euro . oil is now at an all time high. some one has to pay for Man city's  latest signing
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

armaghniac

some things go up, some go down. I am in the market for a TV in the next 6 months, for obvious reasons. The new TV will be bigger and better than the old one and cheaper than the old one was 10 years ago.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B