All Ireland contenders...

Started by EC Unique, March 25, 2012, 01:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Fuzzman

Galwayboy, I haven't saw ye play this year yet but is there any chance Galway will abandon their free flowing football and become more defensive minded like the rest of the teams of late.
Maybe not as bad as Donegal or the Dubs but I think ye having 6 on 6 at the back has left ye quite vulnerable.

As its only approaching April its hard to say who's gonna be the teams making the last 4 in August but I for one would have Galway, Mayo and Kildare all in the same basket as ourselves, if ye have everyone fit and hungry again.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on March 26, 2012, 11:01:29 PM
Impossible to tell where Tyrone are in terms of being All-Ireland challengers. Even the worst Division One teams are better than the best of Division Two.

Customary pessimistic understatement there I see.  :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

sheamy

Watched Donegal on saturday night and they're shaping up well into their mean old horrible selves. Honestly don't think there's anything in Ulster to touch them if Murphy and McFadden are fit. Lose one of them and they're in bother. Down should make an Ulster final or there is something seriously wrong. If they met Donegal I think they'd struggle.

Tyrone and Armagh will be tight and if Armagh are up for it (which they haven't been in recent years), they could spring a surprise at home. If Tyrone do get by Armagh, Donegal will take them again even minus Kevin Cassidy who looks to be running the Gweedore Celtic Supporters club at this stage. Expect some trash talking and Armagh neutrals to get offended.

Tyrone will progress to last 8 with ease through the back door and possibly the last 4 if they get a good draw. Once that far, who knows. If they drew Kerry or someone like that the auld mind games would come back and the Kingdom would crumble (again). The Dubs or Cork would be who they would want to avoid.

Mayo will win Connacht and Kerry will win Munster.

Dubs and Kildare could be interesting as this surely has to be the big year for the Lilywhites. There isn't enough money in the country to keep McGeeney going for much longer. The troika will step in here but the Dubs will see them and McGeeney off.

No surprises then that it's Kerry, Dubs, Tyrone or Donegal, Cork, Mayo I'd have as title winners (in that order)...Let's face it, Dublin won it last year but Kerry were 6 points a better team. Slackness cost them. If they win, it could also be their last for a good while.

Fuzzman

Very good Mystic Sheamy

Will Everton overcome Sunderland tonight?
Davy wants me to find out from ya

sheamy

oh, we have more of the more mentally challenged red arses here. Apologies for the abundance of opinion...I'll post another one for yourself.

sheamy

FAO Fuzzman

It's Kerry, Dubs, Tyrone or Donegal, Cork, Mayo I'd have as title winners (in that order)

EC Unique

Quote from: sheamy on March 27, 2012, 11:22:53 AM
Watched Donegal on saturday night and they're shaping up well into their mean old horrible selves. Honestly don't think there's anything in Ulster to touch them if Murphy and McFadden are fit. Lose one of them and they're in bother. Down should make an Ulster final or there is something seriously wrong. If they met Donegal I think they'd struggle.

Tyrone and Armagh will be tight and if Armagh are up for it (which they haven't been in recent years), they could spring a surprise at home. If Tyrone do get by Armagh, Donegal will take them again even minus Kevin Cassidy who looks to be running the Gweedore Celtic Supporters club at this stage. Expect some trash talking and Armagh neutrals to get offended.

Tyrone will progress to last 8 with ease through the back door and possibly the last 4 if they get a good draw. Once that far, who knows. If they drew Kerry or someone like that the auld mind games would come back and the Kingdom would crumble (again). The Dubs or Cork would be who they would want to avoid.

Dubs and Kildare could be interesting as this surely has to be the big year for the Lilywhites. There isn't enough money in the country to keep McGeeney going for much longer. The troika will step in here but the Dubs will see them and McGeeney off.

No surprises then that it's Kerry, Dubs, Tyrone or Donegal, Cork, Mayo I'd have as title winners (in that order)...Let's face it, Dublin won it last year but Kerry were 6 points a better team. Slackness cost them. If they win, it could also be their last for a good while.

You think Donegal will beat Tyrone again? Last year it was more a case of Tyrone loosing the game than Donegal winning it. Pete harte missed frees that he will never miss again, Tyrone were in cruise control but took their foot off. They will be hoping to meet Donegal this year to address a few things that happened in that game last year ;)  Armagh will be Tyrone's biggest challange in Ulster this year.

brokencrossbar1

I actually think it will be Tyrone's to lose this year.  They have built up a great run of momentum, Dublin, while were very strong last year had a lot of balls bounce for them, Kerry will be hard to bet but Tyrone have the mental edge on them, Cork have too many injuries and Mayo are Mayo.  Donegal will be a busted balloon by July.  Tyrone will win it.

sheamy

I know what you mean EC and it will be tight between Tyrone and Donegal. However, I don't think they took their foot off the pedal, I think Donegal took the pedal off them and Tyrone couldn't match the intensity. That might change this year all the same so you could be right. We won't know the colour of Tyrone's money until they play Armagh and Donegal. They're cruising along playing scrap teams at present with depleted squads. Young Harte is key this year as will be the attacking midfield of Murphy or Cassidy. Harte buckled under pressure last year and for that reason the jury is still out to my mind. Real class act all the same with massive potential. I actually thought Tyrone were gonna win it last year before the quarter final so shows I know nuthin anyway! I do know however if BC1 is talking you up, you should be wary coming into the Athletic Grounds  ;)

sheamy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 27, 2012, 03:36:24 PM
I actually think it will be Tyrone's to lose this year.  They have built up a great run of momentum, Dublin, while were very strong last year had a lot of balls bounce for them, Kerry will be hard to bet but Tyrone have the mental edge on them, Cork have too many injuries and Mayo are Mayo.  Donegal will be a busted balloon by July.  Tyrone will win it.

I actually think they've taken measures to ensure they won't be. They were way ahead of their current state in terms of physical development this time last year. I think they're timing it with last years efforts still in mind. Like any top eight team they'll target to begin to come good for the quarters. Although they'll see Tyrone as a massive psychological factor and won't want to lose the Ulster semi final to them.

Fear ón Srath Bán

I actually think it will be Tyrone's to lose this year.... Tyrone will win it.

Beware of BCB1s bearing gifts!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

squire_in_navy_slacks

Can you elaborate a bit more on that one please brokencrossbar ???

heffo

Dublin, while were very strong last year had a lot of balls bounce for them

As do the AI champions every year - we've had more than our fair share of balls not bounce for us too over the years..

nrico2006

Quote from: EC Unique on March 27, 2012, 02:42:58 PM
Quote from: sheamy on March 27, 2012, 11:22:53 AM

You think Donegal will beat Tyrone again? Last year it was more a case of Tyrone loosing the game than Donegal winning it. Pete harte missed frees that he will never miss again, Tyrone were in cruise control but took their foot off. They will be hoping to meet Donegal this year to address a few things that happened in that game last year ;)  Armagh will be Tyrone's biggest challange in Ulster this year.

I was thinking the same.  That game was all Tyrone until a few sucker punches came at the end.  Tyrone were the better team by far.  There are far better footballers on the Tyrone panel than the Donegal one. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'