Partitionist abuse - The poison of the meeja?

Started by whiskeysteve, March 21, 2012, 02:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheamy

So far we've established loyalists are black (or orange), although in the case of the most zealous, extremely white. Armagh are British (or orange), free-staters are in fact fenians (or fond of desserts), Seamus Heaney and John Hume were nearly West Brits, Down are stoops and Britain is a race.

EG, I don't see anything remotely funny in this whatsoever. It's no laughing matter...

Evil Genius

Quote from: sheamy on March 23, 2012, 02:25:30 PM

EG, I don't see anything remotely funny in this whatsoever. It's no laughing matter...
I thought I had made it clear, but maybe not.

Anyhow, quite aside from Gaelic footballers exchanging (deplorable) sectarian insults etc on the playing field, as a Unionist I find it hugely amusing that Republicans who all profess to want to see a United Ireland, should at the same time give each other so much grief from their respective sides of the border.

It all reminds me of Brendan Behan's observation that whenever Irish Republicans meet, the first item on the Agenda is always 'The Split'...  ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

LeoMc

Quote from: Evil Genius on March 23, 2012, 03:03:43 PM

Anyhow, quite aside from Gaelic footballers exchanging (deplorable) sectarian insults etc on the playing field, as a Unionist I find it hugely amusing that Republicans who all profess to want to see a United Ireland, should at the same time give each other so much grief from their respective sides of the border.

It all reminds me of Brendan Behan's observation that whenever Irish Republicans meet, the first item on the Agenda is always 'The Split'...  ;)

You want to go to a few parish derbys to see boys falling out.

Applesisapples

And ofcourse the good Loyalists of Linfield and Glentoran are choirboys.

Benny Sweeney

Not all of us want a united Ireland, most of us want nothing to do with Northern Ireland.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Benny Sweeney on March 23, 2012, 03:43:29 PM

Not all of us want a united Ireland, most of us want nothing to do with Northern Ireland.
Boy don't we know!

haranguerer

Quote from: Evil Genius on March 23, 2012, 02:16:27 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 22, 2012, 11:10:18 PM
Anyway....

Read Breheny today - he claims that during the troubles, there would have been regular stories of southern players being called 'fenians' by northern players. I'm gonna stick my neck out (not far though cos it isnt necessary) and say this is absolute total and utter bollocks. Has anyone ever heard of this happening??? He really should have thought up his lies better - it makes absolutely no sense!!!
Perhaps the northern players dishing out the insults were Prods*? That would make sense...

P.S. Leaving to one side the internecine GAA feuding, I must say, I find this whole thread enormously amusing  :D 

* - Like Sam Maguire  ;)

In fairness, thats very good.   ;D

Rossfan

Quote from: haranguerer on March 23, 2012, 04:12:53 PM
[
Perhaps the northern players dishing out the insults were Prods*? * - Like Sam Maguire   ;)

[/quote]
It's awful ... Sam was from Cork  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AQMP

Quote from: haranguerer on March 22, 2012, 11:10:18 PM
Anyway....

Read Breheny today - he claims that during the troubles, there would have been regular stories of southern players being called 'fenians' by northern players. I'm gonna stick my neck out (not far though cos it isnt necessary) and say this is absolute total and utter bollocks. Has anyone ever heard of this happening??? He really should have thought up his lies better - it makes absolutely no sense!!!
Perhaps the northern players dishing out the insults were Prods*? That would make sense...

P.S. Leaving to one side the internecine GAA feuding, I must say, I find this whole thread enormously amusing  :D 

* - Like Sam Maguire  ;)

Didn't know Sam was from the North.

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: Rossfan on March 23, 2012, 04:43:14 PM
[
Perhaps the northern players dishing out the insults were Prods*? * - Like Sam Maguire   ;)

It's awful ... Sam was from Cork  ;D
[/quote]

EG didn't make any comment about where Sam was from, just his religion.

Presumably if he was a Cork man, he'd be rather galled that the trophy he lends his name to is for the All-Ireland, rather than the Cork-Not Cork Joint Championship?

haranguerer

Rossfan, AQMP, as our london friend says, EG was talking about the religion.

Not that it matters much anyway, if yous couldnt match up two asterisks its unlikely yous got the wit  :P

muppet

Quote from: Nally Stand on March 23, 2012, 10:47:49 AM
Quote from: muppet on March 22, 2012, 07:11:13 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on March 22, 2012, 06:52:36 PM

Some people. But not many. I don't believe for a minute that Hume or Heaney would have had a reception similar to McGuinness. In my opinion, either of them would probably have won comfortably.

After which they would be condemned as 'West Brits'.

Why would someone be called a west-brit for being from Derry and winning the Presidency?

Why would any Irish person be called a 'West Brit'?
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Quote from: haranguerer on March 23, 2012, 05:52:27 PM

Not that it matters much anyway, if yous couldnt match up two asterisks its unlikely yous got the wit  :P

I take it you're from the North yourself  ... not even the  ;D I put on it could make you see it was a humourous comment.
As for the London Scotch ( :P ) buck ..  Thought he might be able to understand a biteen of Irish humour at this stage.

Speciall for ye boys 
:) :D ;D :D :) :D ;D :D :)
or maybe  :'( :'( :'(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Partitionism will end sooner than we think. But not in the way we would have previously thought, patitionism will end by the full rejoining of the 32 counties to the UK. I firmly believe that more and more people in the 26 counties would be glad of this to happen. The anglisicaton of the Free State in the last 10 years has been unreal. The media lap it up, it as if they are thinking thank God we can finally admit we love  Britain! I was listening to 2fm last week prior to St Patricks and the DJ's comment was somehthing like- there will be a great parade in Cork tomorrow, I reckon there will be a lot of peoople dressed up as the Queen this year- very minor thing but, why would this even enter your head to say it-very strange. 

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: Rossfan on March 23, 2012, 09:26:09 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 23, 2012, 05:52:27 PM

I take it you're from the North yourself  ... not even the  ;D I put on it could make you see it was a humourous comment.
As for the London Scotch ( :P ) buck ..  Thought he might be able to understand a biteen of Irish humour at this stage*.

Speciall for ye boys 
:) :D ;D :D :) :D ;D :D :)
or maybe  :'( :'( :'(

Sure I do, hence my attempt at a Cork joke.  But then you're just glad an Aberdonian's on this site, so that there's somebody even a Rossie can call a sheepshagger :P

*unless you read MainStreet's posts, in which case I'm an evil Scotsman who just can't contain his hatred for the irish