Ford smax

Started by Smokin Joe, March 20, 2012, 07:19:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

What about the Touran, any experience of those?

Smokin Joe

Quote from: NAG1 on March 20, 2012, 02:15:02 PM
What about the Touran, any experience of those?

The missus has ruled that out due to its shape  :(

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Ulick on March 20, 2012, 10:54:56 AM
Thanks lads, will give the Zafira a miss. Will have a look at the Peugeot and Seat.
Ulick we have the Zafira and although grand it is slightly on the small end of the MPV range.

Like everything you shop according to budget and if I was trading it in I'd be seriously looking at the new Alhambra. As the Derryman above says, good solid car with a high spec.

phpearse

I got a Feb 2011 Peugeot 5008 for a bit less than £14,000 with 15K miles. Very happy with it so far.

Smokin Joe

This thread has certainly put me off the SMax notion.

Alhambra and 5008 certainly seem to be Top of the GaaBoard Pops for MPVs.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Smokin Joe on March 20, 2012, 08:32:35 PM
This thread has certainly put me off the SMax notion.

Alhambra and 5008 certainly seem to be Top of the GaaBoard Pops for MPVs.
Still not sure why you are put off the S Max. It has a reputation of being the most "car like" MPV on the market. The S Max v Alhambra review below might help.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews/grouptests/270202/seat_alhambra_vs_ford_smax.html

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 20, 2012, 08:40:47 PM
Still not sure why you are put off the S Max. It has a reputation of being the most "car like" MPV on the market. The S Max v Alhambra review below might help.

There seems to be seriously bad reviews floating about the web in relation to build quality, faults and lack of service from Ford and I have heard a number of people saying that the fuel economy of the SMax is not great.
If I'm going to be spending £17k on a car I can't hand the money over with those niggles in my head.

Smokin Joe

Ahh, it's doing my head in.

The Alhambra is probably too big for both what we need and what the missus would feel comfortable driving and parking around town in.

I think I am definitely drawn more to the SMax / 5008 type large cars as opposed to boxy MPVs.

tbrick18

I know 2 lads with an S-Max and both have given a lot of bother....head gasket went on one, clutch went on the other and both had low miles on the clock.
I've got an espace...avoid like the plague, too many reasons to go into.
I used to have a Volvo XC90, deadly yoke....about 35mpg, plenty of space and comfortable with a built in booster seat. Parts pricey though in saying that it rarely needed anything.
Sharans and Alhambras (Sharan has built in booster seat, not sure about Alhambra) seem to be the best out there, though if you can stretch the Audi Q7 is some article. My cousin has one and I only wish I could afford one.
There's very few mpvs that have space for the full 3 seats across the one row. From what I can tell you have to go for the bigger type motors like the Sharan or Volvo.
There's an avensis verso and corrolla verso that are both supposed to be very good but I've never been near on, though I'd guess they'd be narrow enough too.