Congress Mass going ahead as planned

Started by shawshank, March 15, 2012, 03:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawshank

Source:Hoganstand

Congress Mass going ahead as planned
15 March 2012

Incoming GAA president Liam O'Neill has dismissed a claim by TV3 that the Association isn't holding a Mass at next month's Congress in Killenard, Co. Laois.

It is tradition for the GAA to hold a Mass at the venue of the Congress after the motions have concluded on the Saturday evening. However, TV3 has reported that delegates this year will be made aware of a regular Saturday evening Mass at a nearby church which will have no official GAA involvement.

But O'Neill, who will take over the presidency from Christy Cooney in his own county, has rubbished the report.

"I really don't understand how TV3 could have construed that from our arrangements," he said on Midlands 103.

"The fact of the matter is that the Congress is being held in Killenard in a hotel which is opposite the church and for the first time ever we're using the church for the Congress Mass because it would be a shame to have Mass in a room when you have a wonderful church within 50 yards walk of the main door. So far from downgrading the Mass we're actually upgrading it."

Seriously what is going on, why is religion and sport being mixed like this at a national event. And I wasn't aware that this was the norm :o
Do the leaders of our association not see the folly of their ways. We should not be in bed with any religion, never mind the catholic church. So much for a forward moving association, I find this embarrassing

camanchero

I do not find this embarrassing.
fair play to them for continuing tradition.
people dont have to go to this if they dont want to.
its even now in a seperate location !
still we have whinging about it.....

tv3 are sihte stirring cnuts - its a non story !

thejuice

Surely if the church is across the road, anyone who feels the need to go can go. Ah but sure it's all a show, we know at congress they sacrifice referees and Leitrim county players upon an altar of skulls. Well that's the rumour anyway.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

shawshank

I thought Ireland was developing into a mutlicutural society, and here the GAA wants to be directly linked to the catholic church. A very wrong strategy.  dino thinking

Eamonnca1

I've been complaining about this congress mass business for years.  I've a good mind to run for a position on the North American Board just to get to congress and get giving out about it. It's time someone stood up at congress and spoke up about this.  The annual report always contains a couple of pages about the fine work being done, particularly by the Ulster council, to reach out beyond the traditional support base and become more inclusive.  But that work is undermined by silly traditions like mass being listed on the clar as if it's part of official GAA business and archbishops presenting cups.

This is the Gaelic Athletic Association, not the Catholic Athletic Association.

Rossfan

Quote from: shawshank on March 15, 2012, 04:07:48 PM
I thought Ireland was developing into a mutlicutural society,
First thing we need to do is get rid of them oul Gaelic games . Sure how can we ever get to be "multicultural" if we keep on doing Irishy things like that.
As for Mass- if you don't believe in it dont go.
Or is it better to try and force the silent majority to comply with the intolerant liberal ( oxy moronism?)agenda so espoused by some people in this land of ours
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

camanchero

Quote from: Rossfan on March 15, 2012, 04:58:06 PM
First thing we need to do is get rid of them oul Gaelic games . Sure how can we ever get to be "multicultural" if we keep on doing Irishy things like that.
Or is it better to try and force the silent majority to comply with the intolerant liberal ( oxy moronism?)agenda so espoused by some people in this land of ours
+1

funnily- if other religions wanted to celebrate this, they could easily organise something.
as you say though, if you dont like it- just dont go !
lots of people have short memories. The Catholic church have help promote the GAA, but not vice versa and they dont whinge about it. the CC dont have any say in the GAA - so whats the whinge here about...

bailestil

Sure how can we ever get to be "multicultural" if we keep on doing Irishy things like that.

So going to a Catholic Mass is somehow part of our culture?
Catholicism is nothing to do with GAA. Nor should it.

Not stopping anyone going to mass, but it shouldn't be part of the Clar.

Hardy

Shawshank, Eamonnca1 - I couldn't agree more.

Rossfan, does your interpretation of Mass as an "Irishy" thing mean that those who prefer to keep their religious and sporting affiliations separate are "un-Irishy" people?

Bullshit about "reaching out" to what the previous president referred to as "Protestants" will be seen as just that until the GAA divorces itself from the Catholic church in practice as well as in theory. I would go as far as to suggest that the holding of an "official" Mass under the auspices of the Congress is a flouting of the spirit of the rules of the GAA, which are specifically non-sectarian.

Denn Forever

QuoteNot stopping anyone going to mass, but it shouldn't be part of the Clar.

Lets get rid of the playing of the National Anthem before games as well.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

The Iceman

The NY Jets have a Mass every week before games for those who want to attend.....

This is getting ridiculous...... it's funny the only discrimination tolerated is to be anti-catholic......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Eamonnca1

Quote from: camanchero on March 15, 2012, 05:07:53 PM
lots of people have short memories. The Catholic church have help promote the GAA, but not vice versa and they dont whinge about it.

The catholic church opposed the GAA from the start because they were concerned about it affecting attendances (and hence contributions) at mass. Archibishop Croke was so revered by the early organization because he was the exception to the rule, most of the rest of the clergy was preaching for the people to stay away from the games.

"Short memories" indeed.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: The Iceman on March 15, 2012, 05:29:16 PM
The NY Jets have a Mass every week before games for those who want to attend.....

This is getting ridiculous...... it's funny the only discrimination tolerated is to be anti-catholic......

We must pick up our crosses daily.

Eamonnca1

Eamonnca1

The clar should list a "break for religious services" and the various denominations can go and make their own arrangements.