Congress Mass going ahead as planned

Started by shawshank, March 15, 2012, 03:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Jaysus some lads love being offended. This is worse than MGHU with his stress and anxiety over what bands will might offend him at the Liverpool St Patrick's* Day Parade!

Despite claims to the contrary on this thread:
Having a Mass does not mean we are not a multicultural country.
Having a Mass does not make us sectarian.

Am I allowed to say 'Saint'? I'd hate to be offending any non-Christians on the board.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

ardchieftain

Quote from: Hardy on March 15, 2012, 05:13:41 PM
Shawshank, Eamonnca1 - I couldn't agree more.

Rossfan, does your interpretation of Mass as an "Irishy" thing mean that those who prefer to keep their religious and sporting affiliations separate are "un-Irishy" people?

Bullshit about "reaching out" to what the previous president referred to as "Protestants" will be seen as just that until the GAA divorces itself from the Catholic church in practice as well as in theory. I would go as far as to suggest that the holding of an "official" Mass under the auspices of the Congress is a flouting of the spirit of the rules of the GAA, which are specifically non-sectarian.

Well said sir

Eamonnca1

"Having mass" is one thing. "Having mass listed as an official part of the order of business at the GAA world congress" is quite another. It sends out a message that this organization is closely aligned with one particular religious denomination and is in violation of the Official Guide rule that says the association is non sectarian.

shawshank

Quote from: Rossfan on March 15, 2012, 04:58:06 PM
Quote from: shawshank on March 15, 2012, 04:07:48 PM
I thought Ireland was developing into a mutlicutural society,
First thing we need to do is get rid of them oul Gaelic games . Sure how can we ever get to be "multicultural" if we keep on doing Irishy things like that.
As for Mass- if you don't believe in it dont go.
Or is it better to try and force the silent majority to comply with the intolerant liberal ( oxy moronism?)agenda so espoused by some people in this land of ours

First things first, I go to mass every week, never miss, I believe in God and my faith. I also play GAA. The two should not be in the one glove, plain and simple. The GAA is not A Catholic organisation, so why are the suits making it so?

Maguire01

I didn't realise this was practice. Does this mean that Jack Boothman had to sit through Mass when he was President?

I have no problem with people going to Mass, but I don't see why it should be part of the programme for a secular organisation. And i'd say the same if the IFA or Ulster Rugby were having a Service for one of the Protestant denominations as part of their congress (or equivalent). The GAA is not a Catholic organisation, it's an Irish sporting and cultural organisation.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 15, 2012, 07:28:38 PM
I didn't realise this was practice. Does this mean that Jack Boothman had to sit through Mass when he was President?

I have no problem with people going to Mass, but I don't see why it should be part of the programme for a secular organisation. And i'd say the same if the IFA or Ulster Rugby were having a Service for one of the Protestant denominations as part of their congress (or equivalent). The GAA is not a Catholic organisation, it's an Irish sporting and cultural organisation.

Hear hear.

heffo

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 15, 2012, 04:21:13 PM
I've been complaining about this congress mass business for years.  I've a good mind to run for a position on the North American Board just to get to congress and get giving out about it. It's time someone stood up at congress and spoke up about this.  The annual report always contains a couple of pages about the fine work being done, particularly by the Ulster council, to reach out beyond the traditional support base and become more inclusive.  But that work is undermined by silly traditions like mass being listed on the clar as if it's part of official GAA business and archbishops presenting cups.

This is the Gaelic Athletic Association, not the Catholic Athletic Association.

Should anyone attending Congress this year, last year or next year and is Jew, Hindu, Protestant or any other faith and would like to celebrate their faith they will be accomodated and a room made available to them.

The majority of people attending are practicing Catholics - is that a crime now?

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

Quote from: heffo on March 15, 2012, 08:11:36 PM
I've been complaining about this congress mass business for years.  I've a good mind to run for a position on the North American Board just to get to congress and get giving out about it. It's time someone stood up at congress and spoke up about this.  The annual report always contains a couple of pages about the fine work being done, particularly by the Ulster council, to reach out beyond the traditional support base and become more inclusive.  But that work is undermined by silly traditions like mass being listed on the clar as if it's part of official GAA business and archbishops presenting cups.

Should anyone attending Congress this year, last year or next year and is Jew, Hindu, Protestant or any other faith and would like to celebrate their faith they will be accomodated and a room made available to them.

The majority of people attending are practicing Catholics - is that a crime now?

Missing the point completely.

If there's an OFFICIAL Hindu service as part of the schedule of Congress, as well as one for every other religion represented, then the rules are not being breached. If the only OFFICAL religious service offered is a Catholic one, that's in breach of the Official Guide Part1, Rule 7b.

mylestheslasher

Hardy is 100% right and anyone who thinks different is not using any sort of logic to form their opinion . Quite ironic when you think how the catholic church single handedly shut the gaa down once upon a time. We have even had them whinging from the pulpit about the gaa playing matches on a sunday morning.

heffo

Quote from: Hardy on March 15, 2012, 08:23:35 PM
Quote from: heffo on March 15, 2012, 08:11:36 PM

Missing the point completely.

If there's an OFFICIAL Hindu service as part of the schedule of Congress, as well as one for every other religion represented, then the rules are not being breached. If the only OFFICAL religious service offered is a Catholic one, that's in breach of the Official Guide Part1, Rule 7b.

Please explain further Hardy

Hardy

What would you like me to explain? (I'm not being smart. I think the above is as straightforward as I can state it.)

heffo

Quote from: Hardy on March 15, 2012, 08:40:48 PM
What would you like me to explain? (I'm not being smart. I think the above is as straightforward as I can state it.)

How is advertising a Catholic mass on the official agenda of GAA Congress in breach of "Rule 7b"?

Hardy

heffo