Enda Muldoon has retired

Started by theticklemister, March 15, 2012, 09:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derry Optimist

Enda Muldoon was truly one of the most intelligent and classiest players ever to wear the red and white of Derry.His fielding ability,his accurate kicking but most of all the exceptional radar vision and foot passing skills set him apart from everyone else. He had countless top quality displays for club and county, at various levels, for the last seventeen years. My favourite memory is of his phenomenal performance in the All Ireland minor final of 1995 against Westmeath. He literally covered every blade of grass in his herculean efforts to win a game that Derry were unjustly denied by a terrible refereeing error when the official disallowed a perfectly legitimate goal by Joe Cassidy. I remember coming home that day disappointed with the result but consoled by the fact that Derry had unearthed a footballing genius.Thanks for so many wonderful memories,Enda, and for having the privilege of seeing you perform so often and so brilliantly in both the Derry and Ballindery jerseys.

Onlooker

Thanks for the details Derry Optimist.  I always believed that Derry were done out of a Minor All Ireland that day, because of the disallowed goal.  Just thought that it was Muldoon that got the goal.  Thanks for the clarification.

haranguerer

Whats that about him celebrating with the westmeath ones??

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 15, 2012, 04:09:46 PM
There was always a rumour that in 95 when Derry lost the AI minor final to westmeath he went and celebrated(on the pitch) with the westmeath boys.

I'd very much doubt that.

The story I always heard was that after Derry had beaten Tyrone in the 1995 Ulster Minor Semi-Final - he came out of the changing rooms and took his seat in the stand with the rest of the Derry minors wearing a Tyrone shirt for the senior game between the two teams.

ziggysego

Quote from: Onlooker on March 15, 2012, 04:29:39 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 15, 2012, 04:09:46 PM
There was always a rumour that in 95 when Derry lost the AI minor final to westmeath he went and celebrated(on the pitch) with the westmeath boys.

Great player - second best club player of recent era to Oisin McConville in my view.

I think to be honest he suffered a wee bit from his own versatility. I'm still not sure what his best position was.
I was at that match and I think I am correct in saying that Muldoon had a goal disallowed that would have won the All Ireland for Derry.  Is my memory of the day accurate.

You sure?
Testing Accessibility

Onlooker

I remember that Derry had a goal disallowed, but Derry Optimist informs us that it was not scored by Muldoon.  Always felt that Derry should have won that All Ireland.

Real Talk

Enda wasn't just a brilliant Club and County footballer he was also very modest and an absolute gentleman. I remember the first time I saw him playing for Ballinderry seniors was against Castledawson in the championship at Bellaghy.  I'm not sure which year that was must have been about 1996, can anyone clarify?

loughshore lad

Quote from: Real Talk on March 15, 2012, 10:51:15 PM
Enda wasn't just a brilliant Club and County footballer he was also very modest and an absolute gentleman. I remember the first time I saw him playing for Ballinderry seniors was against Castledawson in the championship at Bellaghy.  I'm not sure which year that was must have been about 1996, can anyone clarify?

He was playing on the Ballinderry team that won the Derry championship in 1995.

NaomhBridAbĂș

great footballer, great ambassador for his club and the county...great fella too
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

imtommygunn

Quote from: loughshore lad on March 15, 2012, 11:00:57 PM
Quote from: Real Talk on March 15, 2012, 10:51:15 PM

He was playing on the Ballinderry team that won the Derry championship in 1995.

Him and Adrian McGuckian were two of the best players on view that day even though they were still minors.

Any craic

Enda Muldoon explains the reasons for his retirement and says Derry 'underachieved'. See the interview from Friday night's game at Ballinderry to mark the 10th anniversary of their All Ireland win, here:
http://tinyurl.com/7fqdwrq

rrhf

Very good footballer. He played the game with a languid poise. Similar style of footballer to ger cavlan. He looked like a fish out of water sometimes playing for that derry team. The white maurice

ONeill

Often think about that phrase 'he owes ........ nothing'.

WTF does that mean? Do you know of anyone who owes the county something?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

Yeah its far too  easy said. And in big endas case his county was (yrone maybe he could give us a year or two yet.  He owes us that much