Moyle District Council Officially Twins With Gaza City

Started by give her dixie, March 13, 2012, 12:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

Quote from: glens abu on October 21, 2013, 08:53:42 PM
Quote from: give her dixie on October 21, 2013, 08:43:52 PM
Quote from: glens abu on October 19, 2013, 11:04:55 PM
A woman scorned lol and Dixie :-[

Very intelligent response Glens. Nothing to say how Sinn Fein colluded with the Unionists in order to bring down the twinning because "it was an embarrassment to some of their friends"? Any idea who these "friends" are?

Why don't you ask the councillor who was deselected,as I said a woman scorned.

I am asking you glens.
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

glens abu

Quote from: give her dixie on October 21, 2013, 08:57:12 PM

Very intelligent response Glens. Nothing to say how Sinn Fein colluded with the Unionists in order to bring down the twinning because "it was an embarrassment to some of their friends"? Any idea who these "friends" are?

I am asking you glens.

You are asking me to read her mind,I haven't a clue what she is talking about and don't believe her,but you do so go ask her.Dixie I would give what you say a bit more credit if every post you make now wasnt SF bashing so can't really take what you say seriously anymore.You are like the rest of these boys who become dissatisfied with SF,can't disagree with certain policies and move on,it becomes abuse about everything and everyone so sorry can't take you seriously.

give her dixie

Quote from: glens abu on October 21, 2013, 09:07:42 PM

I am asking you glens.

You are asking me to read her mind,I haven't a clue what she is talking about and don't believe her,but you do so go ask her.Dixie I would give what you say a bit more credit if every post you make now wasnt SF bashing so can't really take what you say seriously anymore.You are like the rest of these boys who become dissatisfied with SF,can't disagree with certain policies and move on,it becomes abuse about everything and everyone so sorry can't take you seriously.

Glens, the lady in question made a statement, which i'm sure you have read. In her statement she tells how sinn Fein pulled down the twinning with the help of the Unionists, and you have nothing to say about it? You can attack me all you like and dance around the subject, but the fact remains that sinn Fein pulled it down because it was embarrassing to some of their friends. Have you any idea who these freinds might be? Would it be their Israeli friend Ron Prossor?

glens abu

Quote from: give her dixie on October 21, 2013, 09:14:21 PM

I am asking you glens.

Glens, the lady in question made a statement, which i'm sure you have read. In her statement she tells how sinn Fein pulled down the twinning with the help of the Unionists, and you have nothing to say about it? You can attack me all you like and dance around the subject, but the fact remains that sinn Fein pulled it down because it was embarrassing to some of their friends. Have you any idea who these freinds might be? Would it be their Israeli friend Ron Prossor?

Again don't believe her but I do know that SF have and will always support the Palestinian cause and you know as well as you have been with them many a time at rallies and on the ships to break the blockade.Because one scorned women who has been deselected suddenly makes a statement like that and you believe her proves my point in the last post.

give her dixie

Quote from: glens abu on October 21, 2013, 09:28:00 PM

I am asking you glens.

Again don't believe her but I do know that SF have and will always support the Palestinian cause and you know as well as you have been with them many a time at rallies and on the ships to break the blockade.Because one scorned women who has been deselected suddenly makes a statement like that and you believe her proves my point in the last post.

Glens, to a certain point, Sinn Fein will support the Palestinian cause. Supporting them in the form of the Twinning was a step too far` for them, and they brought it down. A quick refresh for you would be to go back to the 2nd page in this thread. There you will see that they were warned 10 days before their actions that night that the twinning would come down if they went ahead. They went ahead anyway with full co operation of the Unionists. Plus, if you read on down you will find that you confidently predicted that at the next full council meeting it would be re instated. It wasn't, as you well know.

As for me been with them at rallies and on the ships, well that is a lie. I have never been on any ship to Gaza, and as for the rallies, it's hard to forget been at the rally outside the City Hall the day the Mavi Marmara was attacked and 9 people were murdered. Gerry Adams was also there, and when asked to speak, he refused. However, his picture appeared in all the papers at having been there.

As for the lady in question been de selected it is worth pointing out that her name was put forward by her Cumann, and not by herself. You are just following the party line in saying she is a woman scorned. It is just a pity that neither the party nor yourself adressed one single point she made in her resignation letter.

The truth is that Sinn Fein brought the twinning down with the full co operation of the Unionists because "it was embarrassing to some of their friends". Some friends they are to the besieged Palestinians living in Gaza.

glens abu

Quote from: give her dixie on October 21, 2013, 09:46:32 PM

I am asking you glens.

Glens, to a certain point, Sinn Fein will support the Palestinian cause. Supporting them in the form of the Twinning was a step too far` for them, and they brought it down. A quick refresh for you would be to go back to the 2nd page in this thread. There you will see that they were warned 10 days before their actions that night that the twinning would come down if they went ahead. They went ahead anyway with full co operation of the Unionists. Plus, if you read on down you will find that you confidently predicted that at the next full council meeting it would be re instated. It wasn't, as you well know.

As for me been with them at rallies and on the ships, well that is a lie. I have never been on any ship to Gaza, and as for the rallies, it's hard to forget been at the rally outside the City Hall the day the Mavi Marmara was attacked and 9 people were murdered. Gerry Adams was also there, and when asked to speak, he refused. However, his picture appeared in all the papers at having been there.

As for the lady in question been de selected it is worth pointing out that her name was put forward by her Cumann, and not by herself. You are just following the party line in saying she is a woman scorned. It is just a pity that neither the party nor yourself adressed one single point she made in her resignation letter.

The truth is that Sinn Fein brought the twinning down with the full co operation of the Unionists because "it was embarrassing to some of their friends". Some friends they are to the besieged Palestinians living in Gaza.

As I said before regarding yourself I just can't believe anything you say now about Gerry Adams or anyone else in SF and if this Lady was so principled why did she wait until she was deselected before she made all these accusations against the party,others like Angela Nelson who disagreed with the party and left I can respect both them and their views but find it hard to believe anything this woman says.

give her dixie

Quote from: glens abu on October 21, 2013, 09:55:14 PM
Quote from: give her dixie on October 21, 2013, 09:46:32 PM

I am asking you glens.

As I said before regarding yourself I just can't believe anything you say now about Gerry Adams or anyone else in SF and if this Lady was so principled why did she wait until she was deselected before she made all these accusations against the party,others like Angela Nelson who disagreed with the party and left I can respect both them and their views but find it hard to believe anything this woman says.

Glens, unlike Gerry Adams, I don't lie. I was standing beside him that day in Belfast when he refused to speak at the rally been held to speak out against the Israeli murder of 9 innocent people.

Whatever the timing of the councillors resignation, the fact remains that she told the truth on why the twinning was brought down. Just a pity that the party, and yourself for that matter, refuse to comment on it and instead call her either a liar or a woman scorned.

muppet

Dixie surely you know the routine by now.

Stage 1. Attack the individual.

Stage 2. Claim any inconvenient source is discredited.
MWWSI 2017

gallsman

At the end of the day, hark back to the first page of this thread and it's a tiny storm in a f**king massive teacup.

Dixie, I acknowledge how dedicated you are to your work on behalf of the people of Palestine but, at the end of the day, what would twinning ever have delivered? Nothing. What percentage of the Gaza population were aware of the proposed twinning? What percentage were devastated when it collapsed?

theticklemister

Quote from: gallsman on October 23, 2013, 10:22:18 AM
At the end of the day, hark back to the first page of this thread and it's a tiny storm in a f**king massive teacup.

Dixie, I acknowledge how dedicated you are to your work on behalf of the people of Palestine but, at the end of the day, what would twinning ever have delivered? Nothing. What percentage of the Gaza population were aware of the proposed twinning? What percentage were devastated when it collapsed?

I believe it was a symbolic decision to show that another part of the world isaware the suffering and plight that the people of Gaza is going through

gallsman

Quote from: theticklemister on October 23, 2013, 10:49:35 AM

I believe it was a symbolic decision to show that another part of the world isaware the suffering and plight that the people of Gaza is going through

Exactly - this bickering about who said what, who undermined who, whether SF's policies and practices differ does absolutely nothing to alleviate the suffering of the the people in Gaza. Political (you can just about call it that) infighting a thousand miles away over a symbolic gesture that would have had no material impact whatsoever.

glens abu

Quote from: muppet on October 22, 2013, 11:00:41 PM
Dixie surely you know the routine by now.

Stage 1. Attack the individual.

Stage 2. Claim any inconvenient source is discredited.

Dixie already knows he does that,doesnt need you to tell him.

muppet

To be honest this looks like the murky world of real politics.

Rather than operating in ideological isolation, as they have always done, Sinn Féin (and whoever the counter-party is) now has matured to live with some give and take. The frustrating thing for some supporters who are particularly focussed on single issues, will be when the 'give' comes down on their issue, as it appears to be the case with this councillor and Dixie.

It is now never about the merit of the argument, it is only about politics.

In a strange way this actually shows that politics up north is actually slowly moving away from the past medieval ranting to somewhere in the wheeling and dealing 20th century, and joining the UK & Ireland there.
MWWSI 2017

give her dixie

Without going back into the benefits that I outlined a few pages back at the time of the twinning, suffice to say it firstly was a symolic gesture of solidarity from one part of Ireland to one part of Palestine. Secondly, there was the humanitarian aspect, and thirdly, it was the 1st council in Ireland to twin with a city in Palestine.

The news of the twinning was very widely reported across the world in Palestinian solidarity circles, and it inspired others to pursue similar ideas. In Gaza, it was also big news as every news channel reported on it, both in print and on TV.

We will never get to know how it would have eventually played out given that it was stopped in it's tracks in its early days, but i'm quite sure if it had of been running for a while, there would have been tangible results.

As for Sinn Fein, they can hang their head in shame over this as they use the Palestinian cause as a political football whenever it suits them. Sure only recently they had a Palestinian speaker at their Ard Fheis in order to show their party faithful that they support Palestine. However, when push came to shove, they put their selfish interests first and brought the twinning down.

Up until this twinning took place, several members of Sinn Fein, including the then mayor, Paul Fleming, went on several junkets to Gaza and on those occassions they promised the mayor of Khan Younis that they would twin Derry city with them. This went on for a couple of years, and each time they would bring a piece of crystal calling Khan younis their "Sister City". Following the official Moyle twinning, the officials in Khan Younis pushed them on taking the twinning to an official level. They were told that it wouldn't be happening, and sister city was the best they could do.

From the start of this thread I have been posting on the progress of the twinning. People can read into it and believe what they want to. I for one was very proud of the twinning, and it's a shame that it was brought down by those who claim to support Palestine.

PS Sure you never know, Khan Younis might be twinned yet with another council in Ireland, only this time officially.........

Nally Stand

Quote from: muppet on October 23, 2013, 11:46:59 AM
To be honest this looks like the murky world of real politics.

Rather than operating in ideological isolation, as they have always done, Sinn Féin (and whoever the counter-party is) now has matured to live with some give and take. The frustrating thing for some supporters who are particularly focussed on single issues, will be when the 'give' comes down on their issue, as it appears to be the case with this councillor and Dixie.

It is now never about the merit of the argument, it is only about politics.

In a strange way this actually shows that politics up north is actually slowly moving away from the past medieval ranting to somewhere in the wheeling and dealing 20th century, and joining the UK & Ireland there.

So the north has been stuck in the past, but the south hasn't? Not the impression I got during the presidential elections!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore