Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Thinking of going, would like to hear your impressions of place

hassletravel

Was there for euro 2012 qualifier, great spot, love to go back
why travel direct

Atticus_Finch

Would agree with hassle, great spot.

Can fly for next to nothing with Ryanair from Dublin and it is very cheap.

All the locals were very friendly and found that the vast majority of people speak english which differed from other Eastern European countries I have been to.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Evil Genius

Only went to Tallinn for a football weekend, but from what I saw (remember!), it was a charming wee place, so that I am planning to go back sometime for a "proper" visit. And most of the lads felt it more attractive eg then Riga (though I didn't mind Riga personally).

One possible tip, on the way out I took advantage of a very cheap flight to Helsinki, where I stayed overnight before catching the ferry* across the Baltic into Tallinn. Helsinki was also attractive-looking, though a lot more expensive than Estonia; anyhow if you've the time and the budget, you should consider combining the two (imo).

* - Btw, I'm not normally good with ferries, but our (September) crossing was smooth as a mill pond and the ship itself was very modern, indeed almost like a mini-Cruise ship.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Main Street

I found it a fascinating place, even if my visit was made during a particularly cold spell where the Baltic chill factor slowed you down to the speed of a snowman.
The history of the place is interesting. At the bottom of the hill at the edge of the old town, there is the Museum of Occupation.
Apart from an incredibly mundane collection of artifacts, there are 4 videos on the history of Estonia starting with the occupation by the Bolsheviks, an experience so dreadful that Ribbentrop's Germans were regarded as liberators, then back to the post war Bolshevik occupation and the import of hundreds of thousands of loyalist Russian proletariat planters, then to the 'singing revolution' in the early 1990's and the birth of the modern day independent republic. Much of the Russian ethnic minority are still there, moaning.

Up the hill from the museum you have the Alexander Nevsky cathedral  which is one amazing structure and one weird experience as you step into a darkly atmospheric enclave of Russian orthodoxy.  I suppose the ice skating ring at the top of the old town will be a duck pond for the summer. Around the old town you have some lovely relaxed coffee houses with a unique 'ambiance'.
Tallinn itself is mix of the old, the new and the Bolshevik era dull grey apartment lined streets.

armaghniac

I don't always agree with EG, but Taillin is indeed a charming wee place connected to Helsinki by all manners of ferries. Locals are friendly but somewhat reserved. Go!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ludermor

If you are going towards the end of July definetely check out the viljandi folk music festival. It has bands from all over europe and it is hte best small festival i ever been to ,about 30k people over 4-5 days based in a wee medival town. Even though Talinn is lovely id get out as soon as possible and check out Tartu and Parnu as well as the festival. The women are georgous are the population seems to be very well educated so plenty of craic to be had. They love the irish there as well as a good few trad bands played when they were still occupied and their own trad music and culture formed the basis of their own revolution.
If anyone knows The Cobblestone bar in smithfield (dublin)  the owner of that place and his brothers are almost folk heros amoung the estonian music scene and they used to play there every year.

Kimbap

I was there for the football in Nov for 5 days.Didn't put on an Ireland shirt or any colours until the day of the game because meself and me mates wanted to just have a normal tourist experience rather than a boozy football wknd (we ended up having both) IMO a great spot,the old town is lovely and I'd recommend it for a wknd away with the wife or gf.
               A modern European city with an interesting history/sights etc where you won't get ripped off.I'll defo go back.