Brainless PSNI and Parades Commission

Started by RealSpiritof98, March 08, 2012, 02:30:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: BennyCake on March 20, 2012, 08:09:58 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on March 20, 2012, 07:52:14 PM
For the 3rd (and last) time, I compared Paddy's Day in Armagh with Paddy's Day in Belfast.

You know, the more you insist on rebutting an argument that no-one is making, the more you expose your complete inability to rebut the argument which is being made.

It's St Patrick's Day. Its not "Paddy's Day" or "St P's Day".

Can you not recognise the name of Ireland's (North and South) National saint, properly?
Is using abbreviation on an internet forum a mortal sin or a venial one?

Ach dammit, I suppose it doesn't matter, since I'm bound for Hell anyway...  ::)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Myles Na G.

Quote from: BennyCake on March 20, 2012, 08:09:58 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on March 20, 2012, 07:52:14 PM
For the 3rd (and last) time, I compared Paddy's Day in Armagh with Paddy's Day in Belfast.

You know, the more you insist on rebutting an argument that no-one is making, the more you expose your complete inability to rebut the argument which is being made.

It's St Patrick's Day. Its not "Paddy's Day" or "St P's Day".

Can you not recognise the name of Ireland's (North and South) National saint, properly?
Tell me you're joking. Please. I think I might boke otherwise.

Applesisapples

Celebrating the feast day of a Roman Catholic Irish Saint by holding a loyalist band parade to underline your British culture and identity? Even though he may have been of Romano/Franco/Welsh extraction seems a bit bizarre.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 21, 2012, 12:13:22 PM
Celebrating the feast day of a Roman Catholic Irish Saint by holding a loyalist band parade to underline your British culture and identity? Even though he may have been of Romano/Franco/Welsh extraction seems a bit bizarre.

No more / less bizarre than your post.

St Patrick a fenian?

Is that you Shane?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Applesisapples

Quote from: saffron sam2 on March 21, 2012, 02:40:20 PM

St Patrick a fenian?

Is that you Shane?
Not a fenian but a Saint created by the RC church, to my knowledge the Protestant churches don't create Saints they use all the old pre reformation ones.

ziggysego

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 21, 2012, 04:19:45 PM

St Patrick a fenian?

Is that you Shane?
Not a fenian but a Saint created by the RC church, to my knowledge the Protestant churches don't create Saints they use all the old pre reformation ones.

I remember seeing Ian Paisley Senior interviewed on the telly, in the late 90s. He said that St. Patrick was as much a saint to Protestants as he was to RCs.
Testing Accessibility

Applesisapples

Quote from: ziggysego on March 21, 2012, 04:28:52 PM

St Patrick a fenian?

Is that you Shane?

I remember seeing Ian Paisley Senior interviewed on the telly, in the late 90s. He said that St. Patrick was as much a saint to Protestants as he was to RCs.
He was still an RC Bishop.

Evil Genius

St Patrick a fenian?

Is that you Shane?
Patrick was not created Saint by "the RC church" [sic], he was created Saint by the Christian Church.

And the present-day Protestant Churches recognise these (pre-Reformation) Saints just as much as the present-day Roman Catholic Church.

Or why do you imagine eg the centre of Anglicanism in Ireland is  (ahem) St. Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh?
http://www.stpatricks-cathedral.org/

P.S. I've just checked, and it seems Patrick is also a Saint of the Eastern Orthodox Church:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Eastern_Orthodox_saints
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 21, 2012, 04:41:38 PM

St Patrick a fenian?

Is that you Shane?

If you must insist on ascribing a denomination towards Patrick, then you you would be better placed in choosing the only appropriate one for a 5th Century Welshman who ministered in Ireland, i.e. a bishop of the Celtic Christian church, later recognised by all the other denominations of the Christian Church.

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Applesisapples

Quote from: Evil Genius on March 21, 2012, 05:03:35 PM

St Patrick a fenian?

Is that you Shane?

If you must insist on ascribing a denomination towards Patrick, then you you would be better placed in choosing the only appropriate one for a 5th Century Welshman who ministered in Ireland, i.e. a bishop of the Celtic Christian church, later recognised by all the other denominations of the Christian Church.
Created a Saint by the Bishop of Rome.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 21, 2012, 05:29:40 PM

St Patrick a fenian?

Is that you Shane?

Go on, then, which Bishop of Rome was it canonised him, and when?

"And if. You know. Your History. It's enough to make your heart go Woahhhhhhhhhh"  ;)
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Evil Genius on March 19, 2012, 02:39:39 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on March 19, 2012, 02:03:46 PM
And the big bonus is they are already planning for next year's parade already (today's Irish News).  It really is a no-win situation for Nationalists, wreck the place or leave them to it and then you have to put up with this shit every year, the best chance for it not going ahead is Council / Business pressure, the town lost out financially and as with everything else - money talks.
Is it really? [bold]

Why cannot we have the "Catholic" Parade and the "Civic" one, in the morning/afternoon, followed by the "Protestant" Parade in the evening, as appears to have happened on Saturday?

I accept that the Loyalist Parade gets up the noses of Nationalist etc and it would be better all round if the paraders made a sincere effort to understand this.

But in truth, for many years Unionists had to put up with eg the ChuckyFest that was Belfast's St.Paddy's Day (Tricolours, Celtic tops and painted faces etc), without feeling the irresistable urge to "wreck the place".

Quote from: bennydorano on March 19, 2012, 02:03:46 PMI always thought that the Marching season ran from Easter to Black Saturday?
I suspect it may be no coincidence that Saturday passed off peacefully because by the time the Band Parade got under way, it was already cold, dark and wet - preedictable enough for mid-March in Armagh!

Therefore if these Loyalists are mad enough to want to walk the streets in those conditions, let them - sensible folk will already be inside somewhere, enjoying traditional winter evening entertainment in Ireland!

I think you've shown your true colours there. So what you're saying is that its payback time. It doesn't matter that things have moved on and Belfast/Armagh/Downpatrick/Newry have taken massive strides to make their St Patrick's Day events all inclusive, the fact is that they didn't use to be and that therefore appears to be your justification for supporting a loyalist march with all the loyalist paraphernalia through Armagh.
Careful now

armaghniac

QuoteWhile the event is of course a traditional Ulster band parade, and obviously participation will therefore be limited to bands from within that sector

So f**k off to inclusive events then. But the croppies can watch, if they wish.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Applesisapples

Quote from: Evil Genius on March 21, 2012, 05:44:46 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on March 21, 2012, 05:29:40 PM

St Patrick a fenian?

Is that you Shane?

Go on, then, which Bishop of Rome was it canonised him, and when?

"And if. You know. Your History. It's enough to make your heart go Woahhhhhhhhhh"  ;)
Ok so you want to be pedantic he has never been canonized by the Roman Catholic Church.  But when the Roman Catholic Church established its first list of Saints , Patrick was on it. Therefore he was created and accepted as as Saint by the One Holy and Apostolic Catholic Church.

Applesisapples

Quote from: hardstation on March 22, 2012, 12:40:06 PM
There was more than one St. Patrick.

Anyway, rival St. Patricks' day parades have been part and parcel of Irish culture for years. Who could forget the rivalry of A.O.H Luganderry and The Sons of St. Patrick between 1912 and 1917.
who indeed