Mayo v Down - March 11th

Started by Mayo4Sam, March 08, 2012, 01:17:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

southdown

No but respect and humility are traits which are always appreciated.

Leonardo

I think its a nonsense to call any inter-county player a poor player; particularly anyone thats playing in the top division. If we feel that there were poor players on either the Down or Mayo teams - what does that make the club players that cant make the county team. I can only speak for the Down team, and in my opinion the best players that are available in the county are on the panel. Now before people start on me about Ronan Murtagh/ John Clarke etc - as far as I know, they did not make themselves available. I watched quite a few first and second division games last year and there are alot of good footballers playing club football. Goalkeepers making excellent saves, defenders tackling well and blocking, high catching and long distance scoring from midfielders, and forwards that can take a score. Alot of these club players are giving up three nights minimum for training, and sacrifice a social life - so for posters to suggest that that the county players are poor???????????????????

muppet

Quote from: Leonardo on March 13, 2012, 02:50:17 PM
I think its a nonsense to call any inter-county player a poor player; particularly anyone thats playing in the top division. If we feel that there were poor players on either the Down or Mayo teams - what does that make the club players that cant make the county team. I can only speak for the Down team, and in my opinion the best players that are available in the county are on the panel. Now before people start on me about Ronan Murtagh/ John Clarke etc - as far as I know, they did not make themselves available. I watched quite a few first and second division games last year and there are alot of good footballers playing club football. Goalkeepers making excellent saves, defenders tackling well and blocking, high catching and long distance scoring from midfielders, and forwards that can take a score. Alot of these club players are giving up three nights minimum for training, and sacrifice a social life - so for posters to suggest that that the county players are poor???????????????????

Jesus Christ almighty, are we not allowed to compare the relative performances of players or do we all have to conclude that they are all brilliant all of the time?
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: southdown on March 13, 2012, 02:46:28 PM
No but respect and humility are traits which are always appreciated.

We have one Down poster demanding respect and humility while we have another promoting the deliberate kicking of players who are through on goal.
MWWSI 2017

Leonardo

Perhaps I read your post wrong, but I thought you said that Down had poor footballers. I would disagree - I think they have good footballers on their panel, and one brilliant player in Benny Coulter. But dont let it get to you big fella - you seem to be highly strung today

muppet

Quote from: Leonardo on March 13, 2012, 03:32:28 PM
Perhaps I read your post wrong, but I thought you said that Down had poor footballers. I would disagree - I think they have good footballers on their panel, and one brilliant player in Benny Coulter. But dont let it get to you big fella - you seem to be highly strung today

Both teams had quite a few poor performances on the day and I added a caveat that in Down's case it may have been because of injury or being off form or whatever. But there is no doubt that they have some very good footballers, particularly up front. Coulter did nothing of note but it we all know enough about him to know how good he can be. Down's problems were in midfield and the backs, especially the full back line, where the first substitution was made well before half time. The backs simply fouled as the first option and any team with a reliable free-taker will punish that severely. We of course didn't have a reliable free-taker as we are 'resting' him for the U-21 Championship.

I don't quite understand the touchiness here, as it would not be unusual for posters from other counties to make a comment along the lines of Mayo having some good and some poor footballers. In fact you could probably say that about most counties.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

Quote from: muppet on March 13, 2012, 02:55:29 PM
Quote from: Leonardo on March 13, 2012, 02:50:17 PM

Jesus Christ almighty, are we not allowed to compare the relative performances of players or do we all have to conclude that they are all brilliant all of the time?

Muppet the answer is in your question but you have to search for it.
Only Jesus Christ is almighty.  Players are mighty some of the time. 

Agent Orange

Who is the Down commentator on www.destinationnewry.com Obviously I don't mean "Seamus" who just sits there and nods and agrees with everything.

Leo

Quote from: Agent Orange on March 13, 2012, 07:29:31 PM
Who is the Down commentator on www.destinationnewry.com Obviously I don't mean "Seamus" who just sits there and nods and agrees with everything.

"Seamus" is Waldorf, the other guy is Statler - it is pure minted gold standard!
Fierce tame altogether

muppet

Quote from: Leo on March 13, 2012, 11:26:28 PM
Quote from: Agent Orange on March 13, 2012, 07:29:31 PM

"Seamus" is Waldorf, the other guy is Statler - it is pure minted gold standard!

It is very funny. Pity they wouldn't point the camera the other way though.
MWWSI 2017

Leo

"That's correct", says Waldorf
Fierce tame altogether

amallon

Quote from: muppet on March 13, 2012, 11:27:11 PM
It is very funny. Pity they wouldn't point the camera the other way though.

The suits in croker won't allow them to show the game because of TV rights.  Another small example of the corporate madness thats taking over the GAA.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.