Laois v Armagh - NFL Round 5 - Sunday 18th March

Started by BennyCake, March 06, 2012, 10:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

All of a Sludden

McKeever was pissed off because the Laois player knew more of GSTQ than he did.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: lawnseed on March 21, 2012, 06:57:33 PM
the word your looking for is XENOPHOBIA the hatred of another nationality or in this case percieved nationality

Exactly what I said and consequently should not be mixed up with sectarianism.  I believe the County Board in their efforts to deflect from McKeevers transgressions have scored an own goal.

Ulick

Quote from: Benny Sweeney on March 21, 2012, 06:49:59 PM
Quote from: Ulick on March 21, 2012, 04:56:29 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 21, 2012, 04:48:53 PM
Also I think it is very irresponsible to be bandying words like Sectarian or racist about in respect of what was said here.  These are 2 very serious issues and the misuse of the words dilutes what is the real issue.  Sectarianism is bigotry, discrimination or hatred arising from attaching importance to perceived differences between subdivisions within a group, such as between different denominations of a religion, class, regional or factions of a political movement.  Ciaran McKeever was not abused because of any of these issues.  Racism is the belief that inherent different traits in human racial groups justify discrimination.  These comments were not this either.  They do amounty to a form of xenophbia but this is not a crime nor associated to a crime.  Throwing these comments out like this willy nilly are dangerous and unhelpful to people who really are suffering racist or sectarian abuse.

How do you figure that? What was different about the abuse McKeever recieved and that doled out to Darren Graham?

What a hypocrite!

I remember you around the time of the presidential election dishing out this "free state b**tards" stuff and other general partitionist stuff.

Maybe you missed this bit:

Quote from: Ulick
Graham got a bit of sledging about being a Prod, McKeever for being a Nordie, no big deal in either case, you take your medicine.

Ulick

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 21, 2012, 07:06:45 PM
the word your looking for is XENOPHOBIA the hatred of another nationality or in this case percieved nationality

Exactly what I said and consequently should not be mixed up with sectarianism.  I believe the County Board in their efforts to deflect from McKeevers transgressions have scored an own goal.

Right then are you two redefining the common accepted meaning of sectarianism in the north? It's not really "sectarianism" but "xenophobia". Not saying I disagree with you, but you can't blame the County Board with using the same term everyone else uses.

bennydorano

The County board have defintely overplayed their hand and I'd also imagine McKeever isn't a willing participant in the charade as I doubt he gives a flying one, but I'd agree there is a Societal issue there, I'd also imagine refs will be taking action in future.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Ulick on March 21, 2012, 07:20:57 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 21, 2012, 07:06:45 PM

Right then are you two redefining the common accepted meaning of sectarianism in the north? It's not really "sectarianism" but "xenophobia". Not saying I disagree with you, but you can't blame the County Board with using the same term everyone else uses.

Personally I am disagreeing with the "common accepted meaning" in this instance.  Context is everything and in this situation there was no level of "bigotry" which is commonly accepted as part of the meaning.  To accept otherwise is to accept that any reference can be seen to be either racist or sectarian.  If a black man calls another black man a nigger is he being racist?  If he uses is as a term of friendship as is often the case, is it still racist?  If I call friends who are English Brit Imperialist Bastards is that sectarian? (I do that and they call me a dirty fenian, it is all about context though)  I really couldn't care less, I simply feel that this is stretching the terms racist and sectarian to the enth degree and has no benefit to anyone.  Armagh CB have gone down in my estimation big time.

Jinxy

The stuff county boards come out with on a regular basis really does the GAA no favours.
It's grist to the mill for reporters.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

haranguerer

Quote from: Jinxy on March 21, 2012, 07:49:59 PM
The stuff county boards come out with on a regular basis really does the GAA no favours.
It's grist to the mill for reporters.

It bes amateurish aright...  ;)

pintsofguinness

The county board statement is embarrassing and I don't know why McKeever didn't respond with "German bastard" and walk away but in this day and age an organisation like the GAA can't have players giving out that sort of abuse. It shouldn't be treated any differently to racist abuse and has to be stamped out if we want to expand in to protestant areas/schools in the north or to other countries. 

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Agent Orange

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 21, 2012, 08:22:56 PM
I don't know why McKeever didn't respond with "German b**tard" and walk away

You are a bigger eejit than McKeever.

naka

Quote from: Take Your Points on March 21, 2012, 08:50:56 PM
The county board jumped in for a simple reason and it had little to do with the card for McKeever.  Everyone knew that once Grimley would be reported for his words with the referee he was sure thing for a lengthy ban.

I know from bitter experience that once a referee writes a report (even when blatantly untrue as in my case) you have no chance.  The rules state that the referee will always be believed regardless of what he writes and no one can counter his statement.  Justice is not a factor.  So the county board have made the greatest fuss possible by wrongly claiming racism when it has nothing to do with racism, it is xenophobia if not just a simple waving of a red flag to get a required reaction.  It is wrong but not racism or sectarian simply Irish man abuse Irish man.

It would be interesting to see if the same reaction would have been drawn from management or county board if it was another player rather than McKeever but someone who contributes just as much to the team.
this is all about the 3 months for grimley
referee has claimed abusive language  by grimley and reccommended suspension yet disregards the laois player`s comments which he heard he chose to ignore
this is why the county board are crying foul, they are undermining the ref because he allowed it to happen ,
this is to get the recommendation thrown out

Nally Stand

"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 21, 2012, 09:21:12 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on March 21, 2012, 09:02:01 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 21, 2012, 07:30:57 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on March 15, 2012, 06:08:54 PM
Jaysus some lads love being offended.

Le contexte c'est tout.
Ah right, so when it affects YOU it's different.

No, when congress organises a religious service of a Mass I wouldn't see it as anything worth getting the knickers in a twist over as most of the congress members are Catholic. It is safe to say no malice is intended on the part of anybody in the holding of the Mass and those who don't wish to go, are not forced to. On the contrary, when a player begins making sustained abusive comments at another, it demonstrates open malice which shows no consideration for the possibility that the player being abused in this way could have personally suffered as a result of the conflict and the player being abused cannot simply choose not to be abused.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Nally Stand

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 21, 2012, 09:38:42 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on March 21, 2012, 09:31:46 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 21, 2012, 09:21:12 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on March 21, 2012, 09:02:01 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on March 21, 2012, 07:30:57 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on March 15, 2012, 06:08:54 PM
Jaysus some lads love being offended.

Le contexte c'est tout.
Ah right, so when it affects YOU it's different.

No, when congress organises a religious service of a Mass I wouldn't see it as anything worth getting the knickers in a twist over as most of the congress members are Catholic. It is safe to say no malice is intended on the part of anybody in the holding of the Mass and those who don't wish to go, are not forced to. On the contrary, when a player begins making sustained abusive comments at another, it demonstrates open malice which shows no consideration for the possibility that the player being abused in this way could have personally suffered as a result of the conflict and the player being abused cannot simply choose not to be abused.
So it's your own narrow determination that decides it then. Got it. Let the MOPEry begin.
No more so than your narrow determination decides anything, but at least I gave my reasoning.

saffron sam2

I'm not getting the difference between British Bastard and Londonderry Bastard.

I heard Billy Sheehan's great-grandfather touted on Roger Casement.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet