Laois v Armagh - NFL Round 5 - Sunday 18th March

Started by BennyCake, March 06, 2012, 10:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nally Stand

Quote from: Hound on March 21, 2012, 03:42:14 PM

There's no doubt that stuff like this....

Quote from: splintered arse on March 21, 2012, 03:24:48 PM
After what the GAA community have endured to help the games survive and flourish in the north all we ask from the rest of the country is a bit of respect and to be treated and looked upon equally.

... just makes me  ::)

They say a sign of intelligence is being able to put yourself firmly in another mans shoes and really see things from his perspective. What level of intelligence must it take to instead, just roll your eyes? That post of yours just sums it up really. It's pointed out that GAA people in the north put their lives at risk to keep the association alive and took a serious bit of harassment for doing so, and when told of this your response is a " ::)"?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

yellowcard

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 21, 2012, 04:38:17 PM
Its a f**king joke and if it had been anybody bar McKeever I could have seen past it.  Sledging goes on in sport world wide, and to be frankly honest I think the whole thing is a joke.  The world is creating f**king namby pamby ginnits who stick the chest out at one minute and then cower the next.  McKeever if he had any sense would have bided his time and buried thon nhemancy through the wire and at least of he got a red card he would have deserved it.  Now he looks like a cry baby who will get dogs abuse for running to the press.  Ginnits the lot of them.

We can't be sure that it was McKeever who ran to the press but whoever it was needs to cop themselves on. McKeever will bear the brunt in games to come because of it though. the self appointed moralists in society will have a field day again. How the Armagh Co Board can think that the 'Mammy he called me a so and so' approach will garner much sympathy is beyond me. Nancy boys the lot of them!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Ulick on March 21, 2012, 04:56:29 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 21, 2012, 04:48:53 PM
Also I think it is very irresponsible to be bandying words like Sectarian or racist about in respect of what was said here.  These are 2 very serious issues and the misuse of the words dilutes what is the real issue.  Sectarianism is bigotry, discrimination or hatred arising from attaching importance to perceived differences between subdivisions within a group, such as between different denominations of a religion, class, regional or factions of a political movement.  Ciaran McKeever was not abused because of any of these issues.  Racism is the belief that inherent different traits in human racial groups justify discrimination.  These comments were not this either.  They do amounty to a form of xenophbia but this is not a crime nor associated to a crime.  Throwing these comments out like this willy nilly are dangerous and unhelpful to people who really are suffering racist or sectarian abuse.

How do you figure that? What was different about the abuse McKeever recieved and that doled out to Darren Graham?

It's a joke and you know it is Ulick.  Graham was abused because he is Protestant.  It was clearly sectarian.  What McKeever was called was neother sectarian nor racist.  Frankly, I think in irrespective of whatever McKeever was called he should have kept his powder dry and waited his chance.  People are too quick these days to jump for the racist/sectarian/homophobic card and I think that it creates the scenario where real instances of bigotry are missed or diluted.  Armagh should have shut their mouth and sorted out to me what seems like a general discipline problem which has been growing within the current squad.

Yellowcard, I agree that we can't be sure that it was McKeever who made tha approach but you know what the perception will be.

haranguerer

Also I think it is very irresponsible to be bandying words like Sectarian or racist about in respect of what was said here.  These are 2 very serious issues and the misuse of the words dilutes what is the real issue.  Sectarianism is bigotry, discrimination or hatred arising from attaching importance to perceived differences between subdivisions within a group, such as between different denominations of a religion, class, regional or factions of a political movement.  Ciaran McKeever was not abused because of any of these issues.  Racism is the belief that inherent different traits in human racial groups justify discrimination.  These comments were not this either.  They do amounty to a form of xenophbia but this is not a crime nor associated to a crime.  Throwing these comments out like this willy nilly are dangerous and unhelpful to people who really are suffering racist or sectarian abuse.

How do you figure that? What was different about the abuse McKeever recieved and that doled out to Darren Graham?

He was one...  ;)

Aoise

I'm quite surprised at how many people are trying to play this down here.  I've got thick skin, and I can take a laugh and a bit of craic as much as the next person, but I will say this, if someone, especially a fellow Irish man called me a 'British B***ard', whether in jest or for insult, my reaction would not be a civil one.  And lets be honest, when someone comes out with that statement they know full well what their doing.  I make no excuses for ignorance from anyone on the Island of Ireland regarding the meaning of this insult.

It makes me query the hierarchy of those who can feel insulted.  We do not use the term n****r to a black man, as it provokes images of the worst treatment that any human being should have to face.  black people were dehumanised, starved, raped, deposed, murdered by the British (and other) slave owners who gave them that label in order to subordinate them.  This is an accepted rule that to apply a label onto someone in order to insult or dehumanise is wrong, yet when it applies to a Northern Catholic then we should just suck it up and laugh it off.  There are some insults that you do not throw and this is most definitely one of them.  Because contrary to what many southerners believe, we had enough at the hands of the British in very recent times, you have a short memory as it was not too long ago that you too fell under their so called slave ownership.  Try calling a black man a 'slave owning b***ard' and see if you walk away with two legs intact.

Also, the point re McKeever is that he was punished even though the ref witnessed the continued provocation and did nothing.  To me this is provocation in the extreme and no GAA player should be subjected to this or have to tolerate it.  Highlight it surely, and lets see what will be done.  My guess is nothing!

Dont Matter

This better not turn into a Kerry/Tyrone thing, what reception will Laois folk get next time we're up in Armagh?
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

naka

Quote from: sheamy on March 21, 2012, 04:39:31 PM
Quote from: Stevie Nicks on March 21, 2012, 04:23:39 PM
There is a big point which is being overlooked here to a certain degree, 2 officials were aware of the verbal abuse during the match and decided to ignore/overlook it instead of dealing with it at the time. All we are looking is a fair crack of the whip, which by the way Armagh were not afforded on Sunday

Armagh gave the world Padraig Hughes. It's called Karma.

the best yet ;D

Applesisapples

Quote from: Dont Matter on March 21, 2012, 05:18:45 PM
This better not turn into a Kerry/Tyrone thing, what reception will Laois folk get next time we're up in Armagh?
The actions of one idiot player and a balless official can not be held against a county, although your county board could have handled it better.

Jinxy

Quote from: Dont Matter on March 21, 2012, 05:18:45 PM

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jinxy

Quote from: Aoise on March 21, 2012, 05:11:31 PM
I'm quite surprised at how many people are trying to play this down here.  I've got thick skin, and I can take a laugh and a bit of craic as much as the next person, but I will say this, if someone, especially a fellow Irish man called me a 'British B***ard', whether in jest or for insult, my reaction would not be a civil one.  And lets be honest, when someone comes out with that statement they know full well what their doing.  I make no excuses for ignorance from anyone on the Island of Ireland regarding the meaning of this insult.

It makes me query the hierarchy of those who can feel insulted.  We do not use the term n****r to a black man, as it provokes images of the worst treatment that any human being should have to face.  black people were dehumanised, starved, raped, deposed, murdered by the British (and other) slave owners who gave them that label in order to subordinate them.  This is an accepted rule that to apply a label onto someone in order to insult or dehumanise is wrong, yet when it applies to a Northern Catholic then we should just suck it up and laugh it off.  There are some insults that you do not throw and this is most definitely one of them.  Because contrary to what many southerners believe, we had enough at the hands of the British in very recent times, you have a short memory as it was not too long ago that you too fell under their so called slave ownership.  Try calling a black man a 'slave owning b***ard' and see if you walk away with two legs intact.

Also, the point re McKeever is that he was punished even though the ref witnessed the continued provocation and did nothing.  To me this is provocation in the extreme and no GAA player should be subjected to this or have to tolerate it.  Highlight it surely, and lets see what will be done.  My guess is nothing!

About here is where you lost me.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

yellowcard

Quote from: Aoise on March 21, 2012, 05:11:31 PM

Are you serious? Your equating the slavery of blacks with calling McKeever a British b*****d! Ring Joe Duffy tomorrow and express your outrage at this incident and you will likely get some air time.

Lets be honest the only reason this was brought up by Armagh management/Co Board is because of the sending off and suspensions meted out. Dramatising the event to the extreme that you have gone to is simply ludicrous.

mountainboii

I am outraged by this!

I am also prepared to become even more outraged given any indication that this outrage might get Paul Grimley or Ciaran McKeever off the hook.

Ulick

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 21, 2012, 05:04:32 PM
It's a joke and you know it is Ulick.  Graham was abused because he is Protestant.  It was clearly sectarian.  What McKeever was called was neother sectarian nor racist.  Frankly, I think in irrespective of whatever McKeever was called he should have kept his powder dry and waited his chance.  People are too quick these days to jump for the racist/sectarian/homophobic card and I think that it creates the scenario where real instances of bigotry are missed or diluted.  Armagh should have shut their mouth and sorted out to me what seems like a general discipline problem which has been growing within the current squad.

Yellowcard, I agree that we can't be sure that it was McKeever who made tha approach but you know what the perception will be.

Graham got a bit of sledging about being a Prod, McKeever for being a Nordie, no big deal in either case, you take your medicine. However if one is 'sectarian' then so is the other.

Benny Sweeney

What a hypocrite!

I remember you around the time of the presidential election dishing out this "free state bastards" stuff and other general partitionist stuff.

lawnseed

the word your looking for is XENOPHOBIA the hatred of another nationality or in this case percieved nationality
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once