Derry v Monaghan

Started by tbrick18, February 29, 2012, 12:43:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Quote from: Main Street on March 01, 2012, 06:43:27 PM
The Derry posters are lot more humble these days.
Where's Max gone to?

Not very far.  ;)

Derry are shockingly bad at the minute.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Main Street

So, the real hope that Derry folk have, is that Derry will succeed in dragging Monaghan down to their level?

sheamy

Quote from: Main Street on March 02, 2012, 10:44:45 AM
So, the real hope that Derry folk have, is that Derry will succeed in dragging Monaghan down to their level?

random meaningless post alert! it's like discussion board tourettes

screenexile

You mean like back in 2009 when you boys came to Celtic Park to fight?? How did that work out for Monaghan again?!!

tbrick18

Quote from: sheamy on March 02, 2012, 11:47:58 AM

random meaningless post alert! it's like discussion board tourettes

Quote from: screenexile on March 02, 2012, 12:08:43 PM

You mean like back in 2009 when you boys came to Celtic Park to fight?? How did that work out for Monaghan again?!!

Auch lads, don't bite on that!
It's so obviously a wind up....as how could anyone drag Monaghan any lower than they already are!

shawshank

On the same theme, didn't Monaghan get a serious fine after their last match for fighting with Kildare. Common denominator

Keane

Any idea when lineups are likely to be announced?

Main Street

The pertinent point in the game against Kildare was that Monaghan exhibited a first class disciplined display of scoring points from play. The impotent Lilywhites were put to the sword before half time. They were a beaten docket before the handbag skirmish.
Personally, I don't read too much into that one game.
Anyway, isn't it obvious that Derry are struggling to play good football, good enough to beat a team like Monaghan?
Maybe I missed something in previous posters' comments but I thought I detected a kind of gloom, almost despair, mixed in with a bit of (commendable) blind optimism?
Maybe the pressure of the game will inspire Derry to do enough to win and lift the gloom. I'd say its 50/50 with Monaghan having the stronger 50.

tbrick18

I don't think anyone in Derry is under any illusions at the moment....we've an injury list as long as your arm including quite a few players returning from long term injury, we don't seem to be as fit as we should be and form is not good.

We've had 2 very poor games in a row and it would be naive to think that all the problems are going to be fixed in the space of 3 weeks.
It's impossible to guess at how the game will go as a result. We cant be any worse than we were against tyrone, we should have improved a bit given the return of McBride and O'Kane from injury but it's difficult to say if we've come on enough to beat Monaghan.
I'd agree it's a 50/50 game, but Derry need to win more than Monaghan and we're at home (even if it is Celtic Park) so I'm going to tip Derry by a point.

camanchero

Quote from: Main Street on March 02, 2012, 01:28:39 PM
The pertinent point in the game against Kildare was that Monaghan exhibited a first class disciplined display of scoring points from play. The impotent Lilywhites were put to the sword before half time. They were a beaten docket before the handbag skirmish.
Personally, I don't read too much into that one game.
Anyway, isn't it obvious that Derry are struggling to play good football, good enough to beat a team like Monaghan?
Maybe I missed something in previous posters' comments but I thought I detected a kind of gloom, almost despair, mixed in with a bit of (commendable) blind optimism?
Maybe the pressure of the game will inspire Derry to do enough to win and lift the gloom. I'd say its 50/50 with Monaghan having the stronger 50.
its Monaghans to win (providing they dont drag it down into scraps and give Derry a chance as in a fight mode - all games are 50-50 ....unless its Tyrone as them buxtaurds are masters at that oul craic !!).
IMO Derry are a month behind in fitness, continuity and team cohesion. Let alone big question marks over some playing personnel.
We have talent, but its on paper only right now.
Hopefully we will be right by championship, but I dont hold out much hope for this game unless Monaghan do one of their famous implosions!

sheamy

I'd say Monaghan would be favourites. With Gilligan out in addition to all the others, it's not gonna help matters. Mind Kildare and Donegal have both lost their opening two games as well. The league is a funny auld beast. This time last year Tyrone had lost their opening two games. In the words of that great City Gael Peter Cunnah 'Things can only get better'....

screenexile

Having seen the Derry team Monaghan are big favourites imo.

Keane

1    Barry Gillis
2    Brian McCallion
3    Chrissy McKaigue
4    Aidan McAlynn
5    Mark Craig
6    Michael Bateson
7    Sean Leo McGoldrick
8    Michael Friel
9    P J McCloskey
10    Neill Forrester
11    Cailean O'Boyle
12    Barry McGoldrick
13    Mark Lynch
14    Paddy Bradley
15    Enda Lynn

16    Kevin Farren
17    Michael Drumm
18    Ryan Scott
19    Gerard O'Kane
20    Brian Doyle
21    Charlie Kielt
28    Patsy Bradley
27    Blaine Gormley
24    Enda Muldoon
25    Conleith Gilligan
26    Emmett McGuckin

Main Street

Seemed like an easy enough win for Derry, never under threat at any time, led from start to finish.
The game was so poor that even Michael Tynan's ramblings on Northern Sound were more interesting.

theticklemister

Aye an easy win alright. Derry had a strong wind in first half and made use of it especially after Monaghan went down to 14. Monaghan failed to make use of the elements, but to be honest the wind had slowed and the wind had been taken from their sails in the first half.

Monaghan set up in a very defensive mood. This usually makes Derry struggle but the Farney failed to do it properly; they set up their defensive plan between 25m to 45m out and left enough space for Lynn and co to make runs inside the 21m line. Tyrone do this properly they set up home from the 14m line ou and make life very difficult for opposing teams and especially Derry.

Derry improved in the middle sector with PJ McCloskey and Neil Forrester winning clean ball and breaking ball respectivley. They moved the ball quicker also and there were better runs from the inside trio.

Much improved performance but Monaghan didnt seem their own bustling themselves. Even Dick Clerkin gave a wry smile on a few occasions; usually he would just thump ye!!! ah oul Dick good GAA man and good player; not his best day today.