John Heslin - The grass isn't always greener...

Started by Jinxy, February 19, 2012, 01:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

I'm sure Westmeath people are delighted to have him back.
Serious player (if a bit hot-headed).
This is another cautionary tale for young lads that think paradise awaits in the AFL.
As Joni always said, "You don't know what you've got till it's gone."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/home-is-where-the-heart-is-for-talented-heslin-3024266.html
If you were any use you'd be playing.

shark

He's the best young player Westmeath have had since Dessie came on the scene, so it's obviously a huge plus for the county.  Also the county u21 team look twice as strong as midfield was their weakness.  St.Lomans I'm sure are delighted and it will mean they will prevent the club championship from being a 2 horse race.  He scored 2-6 from play in his last championship game for them before leaving. He seems happy with his decision.

Hardy

Captain Scarlet

he is a class act but saw him for ucd last year and he ran into contact a bit much, still should be a top top player with experience.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Jinxy

Is the life of a professional sportsman all it's cracked up to be I wonder?
I'd say the novelty probably wears off pretty quickly and it becomes just another job.

Bill Haven

Great to have him back from a Westmeath perspective.

He tends to be overrated simply because he's a lot better at the spectacular than at the basics of the game, but he has massive potential.

Syferus

Ah Jaysus. If you love sport and competing and you can make a very good living doing it professionally that's a dream come true for most who achieve it. The simple fact is there's a hundred failures for every success story at that level of sport.

shark

There is one major difference between being a pro sportsman and a pro Aussie Rules player. You're living the other side of the world. It's not like being a sportsman in London where you can pop home for 2 days.

Jinxy

Quote from: Syferus on February 20, 2012, 02:41:49 AM
Ah Jaysus. If you love sport and competing and you can make a very good living doing it professionally that's a dream come true for most who achieve it. The simple fact is there's a hundred failures for every success story at that level of sport.

Do any of the Irish converts to the AFL think aussie rules is a better game than gaelic football?
I know some of them are on the record as saying they prefer our own game.

Croí na hÉireann

I thought (and hoped) he'd come back some day but I didn't think it'd be as soon. Hopefully he's developed physically and mentally after training professionally for a year, as he had a tendency to drift in some games.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

ross4life

Michael Quinn Longford is another young talent that has returned from the AFL
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Jinxy

Yeah, I don't get why people assume they will be better footballers when they return.

Jinxy

Well the idea seems to be that they will benefit from professional levels of conditioning.
Players here are already extremely fit though.
I think it hinders their development as senior footballers.

heffo

Chimley

I really wish that Pearse Hanley would decide to come home from a selfish point of view.