Armagh v Mayo March 3

Started by onefaircounty, February 18, 2012, 05:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

bit of an odd team . if ever there was a day for throwing the big men in it's against armagh who mayo normally struggle physically agains much as kerry did the last day . if it was a Campionship game  i wouldnt be too bothered about them but they are a fine winter league side.
From a horse for course point of view i would have put in S oSe gibbon and even give Geraghty a run.
any word on Kirby? injured?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Applesisapples

Quote from: fitzroyalty on March 02, 2012, 12:18:59 AM
We also have 'Naomh Mhuire, An Ghráinseach Mhór' agus 'Naomh Mhuire, An Gráinne Mór'.

Surely 'Sháirséiligh na Móinte Arda' is incorrect?
I've seen this before as Na Sairseligh na Mointe Arda

Onion Bag

Why has Mal Mackin allowed to play and K Mc Keever not
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Onion Bag on March 02, 2012, 01:35:03 PM
Why has Mal Mackin allowed to play and K Mc Keever not

Mal Mackin's suspension was lifted, K Mc Keever retired from Derry years ago.

moysider

Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 18, 2012, 10:18:42 PM
Beat them in Castlebar last year and will be disheartening not to win this after the Kerry,Cork results.

I was at that game last year and it was close enough 2-10 to 1-10. Armagh s best were Padden (sweeping), McDonnell, Vernon and McKeever. Mayo s selection on the day bears little resemblance to what developed later in the year, and indeed to what is happening now.
MAYO V ARMAGH 2011: Kenneth O'Malley; Tom Cunniffe, Cathal Hallinan, Chris Barrett; Peadar Gardiner, Ger Cafferkey, Ruaidhri O'Connor; Tom Parsons, Jason Gibbons; Aidan Campbell (0-3, frees), Alan Dillon (0-2, one free), Kevin McLoughlin; Aidan Kilcoyne (0-1), Andy Moran (0-3), Jason Doherty (1-1).  Subs: Richie Feeney for Gardiner, Ronan McGarrity for Parsons, Enda Varley for Kilcoyne, Aidan O'Shea for McLoughlin.

At least 5 of those starters no longer even in the panel!

I d prefer todays team of course but I doubt if it is close to a championship team though. It ll be interesting to see what kind of Mayo performance shows up tomorrow night. Horan has been saying the right things since the abandoned Dub. game. He s correctly identified where the problems were. Another watery display and you d have to begin to wonder if the message is getting through to some players though.

On reflection, I can really see our forwards struggle. I think we might have only 2 championship forwards in there.

Mac2

Prefer to see Andy Moran at no.11 he's a good distributor and fearless for breaking ball, I'd have O'Connor at full instead.

ross4life

On reflection, I can really see our forwards struggle. I think we might have only 2 championship forwards in there.
I'm curious as to who you think will be Mayo's 6 starting forwards come championship time? IMO Alan Freeman,Alan Dillon,Conor Mortimer & Andy Moran will be starters.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

muppet

Quote from: ross4life on March 02, 2012, 03:18:32 PM
I'm curious as to who you think will be Mayo's 6 starting forwards come championship time? IMO Alan Freeman,Alan Dillon,Conor Mortimer & Andy Moran will be starters.

Moran and O'Connor definites.
Freeman, Dillon, McLoughlin and Mort if they are in good health and good form.

Dark horses:
Doherty: if he is flying like in the League last year;
Varley: has done ok but needs to catch fire sometime;
Kirby: 4 goals from FF on his first start fairly catches the eye and can't be ruled out;
Conroy: Can always do a job and could easily get in at 15;
Trevor Mort: too good not to consider if he is flying fit
AOS: I think Barry and Seamus could play midfield with AOS at 11 and Cillian in the FF line.

Back to the Armagh game. Glad to see Keane getting another go, the other 5 look stronger with Caff at 3 and Richie at 5, so he should have an easier first half than the last day, hopefully. Midfield will do fine but it is a funny looking front 6. Freeman is being moved about a lot after bursting on the scene in an otherwise disastrous 2010. I would like to see him allowed to settle at 14 or 15.

The only ball we won at midfield against the Dubs was when Barry caught it, I would prefer as Mac2 said Andy out at hf winning breaking ball. Richie should improve things here too. Doherty at 12 is interesting and worth a look as he is a good man running straight at a defense.
MWWSI 2017

mountainboii

Quote from: Keane on March 02, 2012, 08:04:56 AM
What's McParland like compared to McVerry? McVerry a loss or..?

McVerry is a loss. He'd been bedding in fairly well for a newcomer, with his work rate typifying the positive attitude displayed by Armagh in their first two games. That said, McParland is a good alternative. He is probably a bit further ahead in his senior development, appearing in last year's championship, but has been easing his way back from injury. Had McVerry been available I reckon both he and McParland would've started in the corners, with Rafferty dropping out.

blast05

Quote from: muppet on March 02, 2012, 03:42:23 PM
Moran and O'Connor definites.
Freeman, Dillon, McLoughlin and Mort if they are in good health and good form.

Dark horses:
Doherty: if he is flying like in the League last year;
Varley: has done ok but needs to catch fire sometime;
Kirby: 4 goals from FF on his first start fairly catches the eye and can't be ruled out;
Conroy: Can always do a job and could easily get in at 15;
Trevor Mort: too good not to consider if he is flying fit
AOS: I think Barry and Seamus could play midfield with AOS at 11 and Cillian in the FF line.

One other to mention as a dark horse.
Michael Forde .... minor from 2010 - was badly injured in the Connacht junior final last year (shoulder dislocation) which was only a few days after he was drafted into the senior panel. Started with U-21s last year as well. Only coming back to full fitness but yet has been on the senior panel since start of season (was on bench v Dublin).

Keane

Quote from: AFS on March 02, 2012, 06:49:31 PM
McVerry is a loss. He'd been bedding in fairly well for a newcomer, with his work rate typifying the positive attitude displayed by Armagh in their first two games. That said, McParland is a good alternative. He is probably a bit further ahead in his senior development, appearing in last year's championship, but has been easing his way back from injury. Had McVerry been available I reckon both he and McParland would've started in the corners, with Rafferty dropping out.

TY for the info.

sans pessimism

Quote from: Mayo Mick on March 02, 2012, 10:47:20 AM
Good enough team but would have liked to have McLoughlin available - have doubts about Freeman in half forward line. Still expect we will win by 5 or 6 points against an Armagh team that have probably over performed in first two games and may get a reality check in this one.
Good man mick.Keep takin the hooch!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Oraisteach

Anyone know what radio station is covering the match?  Tx

Tubberman

Quote from: Oraisteach on March 03, 2012, 03:57:55 PM
Anyone know what radio station is covering the match?  Tx

Mid-west will definitely be giving live commentary, and you can listen online. But you'll have to put up with a mayo slant :-)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Oraisteach

Thanks, Tubber.  Have my Mayo-Armagh Berlitz dictionary ready.