Armagh v Mayo March 3

Started by onefaircounty, February 18, 2012, 05:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ross4life

Perfect start for Mayo 1-4 to 0-0 Moran with the goal Freeman 3 points & Varley i think with the other. Armagh slowly getting back into now 1-4 to 0-4
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Conor Mort free, seems its the first time he has touched the ball!!!

Armagh 0.04
Mayo 1.05

Mayo yellow card there.

Farrandeelin

Half time - Armagh 0-6 Mayo 1-7. Seems a good game on the radio anyway.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

ross4life

So much for Mayo forwards going to struggle for scores, they seem to be scoring from every effort tonight.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Farrandeelin

Armagh 0-8 Mayo 1-11.

John Casey not happy with referee on the radio.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Colm Boyle on for Mayo

Down to 5 points now

Armagh 0.08
Mayo 1.11

Armagh begining to get on top.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Saved off the Mayo line, Armagh 45. Mayo let off.

Farrandeelin

Great win for Mayo tonight. Took our scores when the ball went into the forwards. Thankfully that ball was cleared off the line. Mayo did well in the end. Still however, they went a long time in the second half without scoring. I suppose James Horan will need to remedy that before the next game against Down. Will let others who were at the game comment. Ref seemed fussy, according to what I was listening to.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Captain Obvious

Disheartening not to win this home game after the Kerry,Cork results. Mayo had this game wrapped up after the first ten minutes.

border rabbit

Armagh werent great tonight, but i have to say that Deegan tonight was an absolute disgrace, his application of the rules between the 2 teams was a farce! 2 men tackling and Armagh man was a free to Mayo for overcarrying while in the opposite was a free to Mayo for 2 man tackle!!

Again Armagh werent good enough and didnt deserve anything but its disappointing when nothing is going your way for the ref to be against you too!

mountainboii

Had a feeling Mayo would do us tonight. Disappointing after the feel good stuff of the last month or so.

Thought there were three periods of the game that killed us: the beginning of the first half, the beginning of the second half, and the last five minutes. That Mayo did feck all outside of these short spells, and still won comfortably, is fairly damning. Though, it was a very efficient showing from them. They were especially clinical from frees.

Was always going to be an uphill struggle after going seven down. The concession of another goal from a mishit 50 was a real killer. We played fairly well for the remainder of the half, with a lot of high tempo pressing paying dividends. But then we let all that hard work slip early in the second half, allowing Mayo saunter right through the middle repeatedly until they had rebuilt their seven or eight point lead. The efforts of our midfield and HB line left a lot to be desired during this phase, with several Mayo attacks failing to attract a single respectable tackle. This was followed by another credible comeback, but I felt that once we got within a goal a couple of poor decisions let the game trickle away. There was a missed free to get it down to two. Given his form with the frees tonight, Forker should have taken this. It wasn't really on his side but central enough for him to have a good go. There was then a couple of poor kick outs, which went straight to Mayo lads. For at least one of these a quick kick out to free men out wide was on, but the keeper didn't even look up to see these options.

Not many stand out performers on the Armagh side. Mackin was good again, Forker did alright and was good from frees, Donaghy did well and almost created the goal that would've given us a great platform to push on and win the game, Watters came on and hit a couple of points to his credit, and Lavery made a good impact when introduced - he probably should have replaced Vernon after his injury.

On the other side, the HB line was poor with only Dyas really showing anything at all. McKenna and, surprisingly, Mallon were turned a few times more often than you would like. Didn't think Kingham showed much. Didn't field anything and was over run repeatedly. The increased physical demands from intermediate club midfield to top level intercounty midfield are huge, and you'd have to question if too much, too quickly is being asked of the lad. Mallon and Duffy had their least effective games to date. McParland showed well in the first half and looked dangerous, but he faded as the game went on. Maybe he's not yet 100%, or maybe the ball just didn't find it's way in his direction. Thought that, although Rafferty was enterprising throughout, he never really looked like he was going to trouble the scoreboard. And Campbell seemed to take a knock shortly after coming on, which limited his ability to make an impact.

McKeever was a massive miss. The defence, and HB line in particular, looks a lot more impenetrable with him at the centre of things. The midfield needs work too. Lavery probably merits a start in the next game. Difficult to see us getting anything against the Dubs in Croke Park, but it's a nice fixture to lift the heads again. If we can get back to the positive stuff from the first two games then tonight will be easily forgotten.

Mayo4Sam

Armagh more lost this as much as we won it.
We were 1-4 up without really playing. Some excellent scores especially early in the second half when they moved the ball so fluidly. Armagh were always going to come back at us, the save by Boyle saved us but I'd have hoped we'd have closed out anyway.
I don't know how the armagh ones were so on the back of the ref, he gave about two soft frees to both sides, mackins in the second half was diabolical and there was one against caff in the 1st where he got pulled for a push when his two hands were clearly away. Mayo tackled well, at one stage got a free out when they had 6 players round the man in possession, the crowd seemed to thing that wasn't allowed.

Thought AOS was man of the match followed by freeman, Feeney, keegan & keane. How varley & Conor waited on the pitch is beyond me, neither got into the game.

Lovely pitch by the way, we were comparing it to McHale park, not a good comparison!
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me