AFL 2012

Started by Aerlik, February 17, 2012, 04:24:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qz

This quote from an Australian professor in cultural studies in the Age indicates Collingwood historically were the irish catholic team in AFL. Plus currently having 3 irishmen in their panel would also attract Irish support

Before multiculturalism, religious rivalries played a part in Australian sport, mainly pitting Protestants against Catholics.
"Most Collingwood fans were Catholic and Irish, and pretty much working class, so they've had a history of exclusion," Professor Stratton said.
He believed the "residue" of that religious rivalry has contributed to the general dislike for the Pies today.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/everybody-hates-collingwood--but-why-20100921-15l4l.html#ixzz1t3Wyx3V9

southdown

How is Mooney getting on at Collingwood?

Canalman

Yep. Collingwood still pretty much regarded as the "Irish/Catholic" team in Melbourne. Richmond, I believe to a lesser extent.

Due to passing of time etc pretty much a historical thing now.

JimStynes

Quote from: Canalman on April 25, 2012, 02:11:52 PM
Yep. Collingwood still pretty much regarded as the "Irish/Catholic" team in Melbourne. Richmond, I believe to a lesser extent.

Due to passing of time etc pretty much a historical thing now.

Doing rightly in the b team. Scored a few goals and learning the game well. They are all impresssed with the pace and vertical leap of mooney.

Marty Clarke had a stormer in the Anzac day game today. He was playing as a tagger (man marking role) on one of the Bombers danger men and hardly gave him a kick.

AlriteHorse

Only got to see the last 10mins of the ANZAC Clash as we were training y'day morning. Going by the highlights, it seemed to be a pretty good game! My tips are flying this week again!!

Up the Swans!
Allez les bleus! Forza azzurri!

Aerlik

Freo's big man Sandilands is out for tomorrow's game.  In comes the smaller 6'7" Jonathon Griffin.  Should be a great battle in the middle.  Missed the ANZAC game due to work...AlriteHorse, youse boys have an easy time  ;) ... but was listening to it in snippets with an Essendon fan.  Would seem Clarke did very well. 

Walsh is again in the Swans' panel prior to selection.  Would be good to see him in action this weekend.

No word on Setanta at the GWS.  Hope he's enjoying the money.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Carmen Stateside

Glad to see Fox soccer channel plus has started to show live games here in the states. 2 live games a week with a hour long highlight show weekly.
Tomorrow morning it's Fremantle vs Carlton live 6 30 am, the times are not the best for catching it live but i myself will be recording to watch over the weekend.

mick999

Aerlik

Jaysus what a frustrating night, Friday was.  Freo couldn't hit a bull's arse with a barn door.  7-15.  Fifteen fcukin behinds.  Christ I bet there were alot more kicked after the game.  Tuohy did ok, but was subbed.  Coulda, shoulda, woulda....

Walsh didn't play for the Swans or make the panel for the mercurial, magnificent, man-mountain Adam Goodes' club record 304th. game.  And to think he was going to go to Freo.  Fcuk.  Goodes is a brilliant player to watch either on tv or from the stands.  And the Swans walloped Hawthorn by 30 points even holding the supposed Premiership favourites to a scoreless third quarter.  Now that is some feat.

Still don't know the situation with Setanta.  Anyone else know?  By all accounts Marty had a fair auld decent game v. Essendon.

Only two unbeaten teams remain; Swans and that other mob who shall remain unspoken of.

As an aside if any of the Perth readers are going to the game on Sunday, my young lad is lining out for his district in the half-time game.  Let's just say, of all the wanes, he's the one that looks the most "Irish" ;)   It is breaking his heart cos he wants to play but will have to wear that other West Australian shirt (not the Freo one >:()  I told him if he had an allergic reaction to it or at any stage felt unwell after, to seek urgent medical attention.  I think he took me seriously.

qz

very bad news it seems for Setanta O'hAilpin

Carlton produced a solid but uninspiring performance to beat a stubborn Greater Western Sydney side by 67
Setanta O'hAilpin had enjoyed playing against his old side, kicking two goals for GWS, but O'hAilpin finished the game on crutches after injuring his knee in the third quarter. The AFL reported O'hAilpin's season could be over, amid fears the Irishman had torn his anterior cruciate ligament.

HeaveHo

Now confirmed - Setanta has ruptured his ACL. He might opt for LARS given his age but I think he might have 2-3 years left all going well.

HeaveHo

Quote from: Aerlik on April 30, 2012, 01:14:54 PM
As an aside if any of the Perth readers are going to the game on Sunday, my young lad is lining out for his district in the half-time game.  Let's just say, of all the wanes, he's the one that looks the most "Irish" ;)   It is breaking his heart cos he wants to play but will have to wear that other West Australian shirt (not the Freo one >:()  I told him if he had an allergic reaction to it or at any stage felt unwell after, to seek urgent medical attention.  I think he took me seriously.

Did he get to keep that jumper? If yes I hope you burned it as soon as you got home.

Did he get a kick on the night? I was down at Busselton and couldn't get along.

Aerlik

Round Six:
Owing to shift work, I didn't get to see a single game all weekend.  Ummm, actually I could have watched the last game of the round in Perth, but considering who was playing and the amount of hot air that is being spewed at the moment about them being top of the table...nuff said. 

Well, Sydney came unstuck against a resurgent Adelaide Crows.  Bit of a shock as practically everyone had the Swans to win...oh wait they said that about Saints v. Freo, too, didn't they? ;)  Still no Tommy Walsh.

Collingwood had a handy enough but not convincing win against Western Bulldogs.  Clarke did ok, by all accounts.

Sad news about Setanta, indeed.  It's an all too frequent injury in Aus rules.  Nevertheless, Carlton and Zac keep winning.  By all accounts it was not the most inpiring performance.

Freo dodged a bullet.  Thank Christ I was sleeping and missed it.  Hopefully the lads will get the finger out and play well against the Power on Sunday.

Heave Ho, the lad was on cloud nine after the game.  All he could do was talk about the noise.  He was happy too, as he wore the N.Mel jersey.(Phew)  He didn't score but took about 6 marks and got a few kicks and tackles in.   :)

Aerlik

A delayed report on Round 7.
For perhaps the first time ever, three Irishmen took the field for the Brisbane Lions v. Collingwood game.  No surprises in the result with a fairly comprehensive win for the pies.

Tuohy and Carlton were well beaten by St.Kilda in a good game.

Still no Walsh for Sydney who were surprisingly well-beaten by Richmond.  However, Walsh is named as Centre Half Forward for the game v. Melbourne.  Should be a comprehensive win for the Swans as Melbourne have been shit this year.

Setanta's GWS had their first ever win last weekend. 

Freo won again, I'm happy. (That'll not last long though, as we play Hawthorn in Tasmania....eek!)

stephenite

Tommy Walsh showed well for his debut, kicked 2 goals, 6 marks and 14 odd possessions.

Wearing Tadhg's old jersey as well, #17