McConville gloats about beating Dr Crokes, expects an easier win this time

Started by Mike Sheehy, February 15, 2012, 01:37:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghranger12

Funny BC1.  Cross win Armagh leagues by playing 7-8 boys just in from the minor team

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: armaghranger12 on February 22, 2012, 02:58:53 PM
Funny BC1.  Cross win Armagh leagues by playing 7-8 boys just in from the minor team

I was once asked how many league medals I have, I honestly don't know and I don't even know where there medals are.  In a corner on a cupboard somewhere. 

heffo

Unbelievable record from Crossmaglen. How they've remained so successful for so long I don't know.

I'll be shouting for Garrycastle on Paddys day as I know a few of them and they're the underdog but wouldn't begrudge CMG another AI either.

deiseach

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 22, 2012, 03:09:33 PM
I was once asked how many league medals I have, I honestly don't know and I don't even know where there medals are.  In a corner on a cupboard somewhere.

You may support Liverpool, but you can tell ya never played for them

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 22, 2012, 04:32:10 PM
He did. Remember Erik Meijer?

Thank God you didn't say Sean Dundee, but big Erik wasn't great either!

Armaghgeddon

Wonder what Armagh county team would be like if we had 6 or 7 clubs as dedicated as Cross.

armaghranger12

Still the same. Most club teams in Armagh do put the effort in that cross do but they dont just have the same number of quality players. Up untill last year Cross didnt have a gym in the club.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on February 22, 2012, 06:01:31 PM
Wonder what Armagh county team would be like if we had 6 or 7 clubs as dedicated as Cross.
Bit harsh. I know the Ogs are very dedicated and are IMO a top team in Ulster when at full strength.

ogshead

Quote from: fitzroyalty on February 22, 2012, 09:55:03 PM
Bit harsh. I know the Ogs are very dedicated and are IMO a top team in Ulster when at full strength.

Didn't Jarlath Burns say a few months ago after Cross beat St Galls that we were the second best team in Ireland!! Haha But seriously I know the lads in our club do put in a serious effort and will be going all out to give Cross a rattle this year (they have a tough game against Granemore to come first though) and there are quality players there too that have made the county panel. I think Armaghgeddon is getting dedication mixed up with belief, never say die attitude and hunger for success.

I think there are a couple of other clubs in the county that on their day could beat Cross in a championship match as well. Cullyhanna nearly beat them in 2010 and Granemore and the Nab (not including 2011 final) are improving big time year on year. Dromintee have missed the boat though I think. The point I am trying to make though is that there are a few teams in Armagh who would do quite well in the Ulster championship if they eventually got there.

armaghranger12

Quote from: ogshead on February 23, 2012, 12:13:19 AM

Didn't Jarlath Burns say a few months ago after Cross beat St Galls that we were the second best team in Ireland!! Haha But seriously I know the lads in our club do put in a serious effort and will be going all out to give Cross a rattle this year (they have a tough game against Granemore to come first though) and there are quality players there too that have made the county panel. I think Armaghgeddon is getting dedication mixed up with belief, never say die attitude and hunger for success.

I think there are a couple of other clubs in the county that on their day could beat Cross in a championship match as well. Cullyhanna nearly beat them in 2010 and Granemore and the Nab (not including 2011 final) are improving big time year on year. Dromintee have missed the boat though I think. The point I am trying to make though is that there are a few teams in Armagh who would do quite well in the Ulster championship if they eventually got there.

Are u serious Granemore? They couldn't even beat the Nab who Cross give a footballing lesson to. Cullyhanna had cross beat but could finish then off and cross won.  So many times down the years Cross were on the verge of been beat Ogs Dromintee Harps all had the chances but hadn't got the bottle to finish the game off.

I don't think that any team in Armagh would give Ulster a real go at the start of the season their goals have to be to try and win the Armagh Championship not an Ulster. Ogs didn't care if they beat St Galls or not they were just happy with the County and rightly so.

ogshead

Quote from: armaghranger12 on February 23, 2012, 09:27:31 AM

Are u serious Granemore? They couldn't even beat the Nab who Cross give a footballing lesson to. Cullyhanna had cross beat but could finish then off and cross won.  So many times down the years Cross were on the verge of been beat Ogs Dromintee Harps all had the chances but hadn't got the bottle to finish the game off.

I don't think that any team in Armagh would give Ulster a real go at the start of the season their goals have to be to try and win the Armagh Championship not an Ulster. Ogs didn't care if they beat St Galls or not they were just happy with the County and rightly so.

Your not taking this in the right context. I said that Granemore and the Nab are improving every year and what you said about the Ogs, Harps etc having their chances but 'hadn't got the bottle', well the Ogs beating them proves that if you keep plugging away a win will come. Surely Cullyhanna would take heart from that.

In terms of the Ulster I meant that we have good teams in the county but because Cross dominate we don't see them on the Ulster stage. I wouldn't say the Ogs cared about the St Galls match either... it wasn't their goal at the start of that year but when they got there they wanted to beat them

sheamy

Possibly not much different is the answer. It's an easy mistake to make to think strong clubs make a strong county team.

Lavey (1990, 1992), Bellaghy (1994, 2000), Dungiven (1997), Ballinderry (2001), Loup (2003)

Number of Ulster senior intercounty titles in the same period = 2. Sure them Tyronies can't win an Ulster club to save their lives but they can beat rings round them at intercounty.

Be careful what you wish for  :)

ballymac

A quick question to brokencrossbar1 I was wondering what your youth setup is like within the club. Is the club as successful at minor and u 16 level and what grade do they play at?

armaghranger12

Quote from: ogshead on February 23, 2012, 09:51:14 AM
Quote from: armaghranger12 on February 23, 2012, 09:27:31 AM

Your not taking this in the right context. I said that Granemore and the Nab are improving every year and what you said about the Ogs, Harps etc having their chances but 'hadn't got the bottle', well the Ogs beating them proves that if you keep plugging away a win will come. Surely Cullyhanna would take heart from that.

In terms of the Ulster I meant that we have good teams in the county but because Cross dominate we don't see them on the Ulster stage. I wouldn't say the Ogs cared about the St Galls match either... it wasn't their goal at the start of that year but when they got there they wanted to beat them

But are Cross teams not also improving year after year?  Before last year's win Jd, The Mc Entees, Cathal Short all retired after the Ogs defeat. Fair enough John mc came back (Thank God) but that was a very inexperienced team that was looking to get back their county title. Now look where these boys are second All Ireland in a row and take hearty and Oisin out the oldest player are Stephen Kernan and followed by Aaron. That's a young team in footballing terms.