Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: naka on February 02, 2015, 11:57:44 AM
watched the game last night on bbc sport
jeez some drop in standard from the o neill/advocaat eras
rangers are a poor side
felt that both sides were content with the 2-0 scoreline
rangers are going to struggle ever to get back to where celtic are now

But not great though, Celtic that is.... Would they hack in in the English championship even?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

T Fearon

As Peter Lawwell said at the AGM before Xmas,if Celtic were in EPL,with their worldwide fan base they'd be up there with Real Madrid,Barcelona.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 02, 2015, 06:34:31 PM
Quote from: naka on February 02, 2015, 11:57:44 AM
watched the game last night on bbc sport
jeez some drop in standard from the o neill/advocaat eras
rangers are a poor side
felt that both sides were content with the 2-0 scoreline
rangers are going to struggle ever to get back to where celtic are now

But not great though, Celtic that is.... Would they hack in in the English championship even?

No! But their a presently tailored to cope with a diminished Scottish league that has lost Hibs, Hearts and Rangers. There is no point paying over the odds for players you don't need in a below par league. The Purchase power depends on qualifying for Champions league group stages. Players will not be purchased if No CL football. The Irony is that these players are often needed for CL group stage qualification, but the club cannot afford to risk it. Scottish football has reached a crossroads and the only hope for it is mergers of smaller clubs and almost reinventing itself.

rrhf

Quote from: frostbit on February 02, 2015, 07:52:45 PM
Nah. The economic hegemony that exists in world soccer is too powerful now for it to ever change. Manchester is about as far north as footballers are prepared to go now in England these days. It would take Celtic to be bought by some rich oligarch for them ever to compete with the big boys and sure where would that sit with Brother Walfrid values?
Brother Walfrid would have been a pragmatist I have no doubt. 

gallsman

Quote from: T Fearon on February 02, 2015, 07:47:22 PM
As Peter Lawwell said at the AGM before Xmas,if Celtic were in EPL,with their worldwide fan base they'd be up there with Real Madrid,Barcelona.

Such utter bollocks.

From the Bunker

Quote from: gallsman on February 02, 2015, 08:12:38 PM

Such utter bollocks.

The thing is. Most Irish people have Celtic as their Second team and support them that way because they are in Scotland and don't play English sides. How many would have them as their first or even Second in the EPL. They get dual support when in Scotland, this would be lost in the EPL?

T Fearon

It's not bollocks.For history,tradition,stadium and global fan base Celtic are on a par with Man Utd and any other English club.

T Fearon

A successful Celtic in the EPL would be the first choice of many supporters,all over the globe

annapr

Quote from: gallsman on February 02, 2015, 08:12:38 PM

Such utter bollocks.

+1
He's deluded.

AZOffaly

Quote from: T Fearon on February 02, 2015, 08:19:19 PM
It's not bollocks.For history,tradition,stadium and global fan base Celtic are on a par with Man Utd and any other English club.

Is this true? Have Celtic a large fan base in India, the Far East, Europe, usa etc? I know uk and Ireland.

From the Bunker

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 02, 2015, 08:23:38 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on February 02, 2015, 08:19:19 PM

Is this true? Have Celtic a large fan base in India, the Far East, Europe, usa etc? I know uk and Ireland.

South America?

AZOffaly

Maybe, presumably with the Catholic element? But they have a fair few Catholic clubs of their own down there.  I just don't see a lot of evidence of Celtic fans in those countries. Could be wrong.

T Fearon

They have numerous fan clubs in USA,Australia and elsewhere where large contingents of Scots have emigrated.Celtic are much bigger than the likes of Burnley,Swansea,QPR and a host of current EPL clubs.

AZOffaly

I'd believe that alright. But you were talking about United, barca and real. That's slightly different. Celtic claim 9 million fans worldwide. United have about 600 million.

Boycey

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 02, 2015, 08:59:48 PM
I'd believe that alright. But you were talking about United, barca and real. That's slightly different. Celtic claim 9 million fans worldwide. United have about 600 million.

Spot on AZ, I wouldn't deny Celtic their history or tradition but the size of their global fan base wouldn't touch the sides of the teams you have named or Liverpool amongst others..