Rangers FC to go into administration

Started by Lecale2, February 13, 2012, 03:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: deiseach on March 09, 2012, 04:51:48 PM
Quote from: camanchero on March 09, 2012, 04:49:17 PM
Quote from: deiseach on March 09, 2012, 03:53:07 PM
Quote from: camanchero on March 09, 2012, 03:18:33 PM
- what songs celebrate blowing people up- I dont know too many and certainly never heard them sung at CP.

Really? You've never heard any "ooh, aah, up the 'RA" chants from Celtic fans?
and what part of oohh ahh etc etc glorifies blowing up anyone ....

I sing the first line of our national anthem - It doesnt make me a 'soldier'  and I have no intention of manning the 'bear na baoil' either.
I dont sing that graffitti on the wall song either but use a a bit of cop on there man !

Utterly disingenuous

Please illustrate how and why....

I'm a tad bemused here!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 09, 2012, 06:50:20 PM
Quote from: camanchero on March 09, 2012, 04:49:17 PM
Quote from: deiseach on March 09, 2012, 03:53:07 PM
- what songs celebrate blowing people up- I dont know too many and certainly never heard them sung at CP.

Really? You've never heard any "ooh, aah, up the 'RA" chants from Celtic fans?
and what part of oohh ahh etc etc glorifies blowing up anyone ....

I sing the first line of our national anthem - It doesnt make me a 'soldier'  and I have no intention of manning the 'bear na baoil' either.
I dont sing that graffitti on the wall song either but use a a bit of cop on there man !

Its the same idiots who ruin a good sing a long of "the fields of Athenry" with "Sinn Féin" "IRA". The song has nothing to do with either.
....and???

Think those 'additions' are more that moronic
But it's still a sihte song!

Apart from that ... So what ??

Some of these replies are more than odd!!
If not  completely pointless! :)

lynchbhoy

Lda your opinion is valid as a jock and resident obv. As a Celtic fan traveling over for games since 1995 I've seen a fair bit and my opinion is obv one as a Celtic fan.i think that's a stereotype that non Glaswegians want to portray alright but Celtic clubs support and employees over the years would point to it being more inclusive, non sectarian and not bigoted - though there were pockets of these.
I don't fully grasp you 'explanations' above but it doesn't matter really.

Songs glorifying the IRA - that's a whole  other debate whether songs about the old IRA are the same etc etc
But the point really is about what songs glorified blowing people up?
Ok there are none.
I think you were using deliberate OTT language as many Celtic detractors are wont to do in order to make it look Like Celtic fans are al queda or something.

These songs have been banned ( despite the majority being harmless and about the deaths of Irish martyrs and not them killing anyone!!!) and thus apart from the odd time at an away match ( none at the one I attended last year) rebel songs are no longer heard at Celtic park - are there any more allegations you want me to debunk?
Look I know many of you dislike Celtic maybe hate them but plenty of jocko lads I've met from Dundee , hibs, Aberdeen , kilmarnock and dunfermeline all don't like the celts - but they hate rangers and reckon there is a difference between the two with Celtic being a lot better.
Maybe they ere just all being nice. Either way IMO you are over egging it - and your examples are mythbusted

Main Street

It's sad when the flying of the tricolour at Celtic Park is regarded as a bigoted act, a deliberate attempt to play the sectarian card, rather than what it is, a club staying true to its founding ethos, Scottish and Irish.
Not too different from the attitudes in the North when a player declares for the South, he's all of a sudden regarded a bitter narrow minded bigot by NI fans, for expressing  (what is for the player) just a normal natural part of national identity.

Main Street

Back on topic with a bullet. It appears Rangers fc have received a last minute postponement of the execution and can limp along (zombie like) for what remains of their season.

Regardless of what happens, it's inevitable they will be barred from European competitions for 1 to 3 years. There's no commercial sense in anybody contemplating a takeover with this multi million taxcase hanging over the club. The tax man having the same status as the grim reaper sharpening his shears outside the gates of Ibrox.

Should Rangers liquidate and are reincarnated in another form, they will have to apply to join division 3.
Unless of course, the rules are changed to accommodate a club whose ethos was rooted in financial doping and fraud. Most probably such an accommodation would be anathema to most Scottish fans, regardless of the financial cost to their club.

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: camanchero on March 09, 2012, 04:46:46 PM
Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 09, 2012, 03:39:53 PM
Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 08, 2012, 09:36:39 PM
I don't think so. I think the rest of the Scottish fans despise the Old Firm for the fact that they have exploited sectarianism for mutual gain - carving up the spoils in Scottish football as a result - for over a century. The vast majority of the fans of other clubs couldn't give a shit about Irish politics yet since time immemorial have been subjected to morons brandishing red hand flags/tricolours and singing about being up to their knees in blood or blowing people up. And in the case of Celtic the bleating about how everybody is against them when in reality they have always been very much part of the establishment is tiresome.  Really they are both just horrible football clubs, and that's why the rest of Scottish football don't like them.
wouldnt be in agreement with you there
- i'd say the reason for dislike/hatred is the success of the two glasgow clubs. plus the townies v hicks old global feud.
- whats sectarian about an Irish Tricolour flag - or even how it is brandished.....come off it...

Well that doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Those are however some of the key reasons for the dislike many Scottish football fans have for the Old Firm, or the "bigot brothers" as they are more commonly known amongst Scottish football fans.
well it was nothing personal there fella.

I'm happy to say that Celtic are disliked by many if not all clubs in scotland - or elements of them, but apart from the potential for jealosy, I cannot see too many jocks disliking one or the other because of 'bigotry' ! no harm to you folks, but for the 75% of the population, thats a bit too above their level - and I am trying not to put that in a bad way - the working classes just dont or wont be too bothered about that. imo.

but I would like to hear your response to my other parts in my last post . no problem if not.

That is both horrendously arrogant, and utter shite.

The average Scot is well aware of what bigotry is - it's not above us, it's beneath us.  We're better than that, and we loathe the Old Firm for dragging us down.

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: Main Street on March 10, 2012, 08:41:17 AM
It's sad when the flying of the tricolour at Celtic Park is regarded as a bigoted act, a deliberate attempt to play the sectarian card, rather than what it is, a club staying true to its founding ethos, Scottish and Irish.

No-one has suggested it it.  Its a flag in celtic colours, flown at celtic games.

The songs glorifying murderers leave a sour note.  And despite the Kevin Lynch players on here trying to deflect and deny it, the celtic happily sings songs in praise of the provos.

Main Street

Quote from: LondonCamanachd on March 10, 2012, 09:35:34 AM

No-one has suggested it it.  Its a flag in celtic colours, flown at celtic games.

It's the irish tricolour flag that is flown at Celtic Park on match days.

And yes, reference has been made about Celtic fans brandishing the tricolour, alluding to that it was a weapon of hate. And that the basis of the club was to play the flag/irish issue as if it was the flip side in a game of bigots with Rangers.

QuoteThe songs glorifying murderers leave a sour note.  And despite the Kevin Lynch players on here trying to deflect and deny it, the celtic happily sings songs in praise of the provos.

The only murder song I've heard Celtic fans sing  is the McAnespie song, and there is no glorification.

If it's the provo add on, 'ooh ahh up the raa', it's definitely not appropriate at a football game.
But if you want to put a magnifying glass on that, don't expect me to take you seriously, that that reflects malevolence on the fans in general  or the ethos of the club. 

If you have deliberate political opinions/bias on republican violence from the recent past, then I suggest you take it to the thread that abhors some violence  but is somehow at ease with other forms of violence. Or start a thread that abhors all forms of violence, call it the Jain thread  :)

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: Main Street on March 10, 2012, 10:15:56 AM
Quote from: LondonCamanachd on March 10, 2012, 09:35:34 AM

It's the irish tricolour flag that is flown at Celtic Park on match days.

And yes, reference has been made about Celtic fans brandishing the tricolour, alluding to that it was a weapon of hate. And that the basis of the club was to play the flag/irish issue as if it was the flip side in a game of bigots with Rangers.

QuoteThe songs glorifying murderers leave a sour note.  And despite the Kevin Lynch players on here trying to deflect and deny it, the celtic happily sings songs in praise of the provos.

The only murder song I've heard Celtic fans sing  is the McAnespie song, and there is no glorification

If it's the provo add on, 'ooh ahh up the raa', it's definitely not appropriate at a football game.
But if you want to put a magnifying glass on that, don't expect me to take you seriously, that that reflects malevolence on the fans in general  or the ethos of the club. 

If you have deliberate political opinions/bias on republican violence from the recent past, then I suggest you take it to the thread that abhors some violence  but is somehow at ease with other forms of violence. Or start a thread that abhors all forms of violence, call it the Jain thread  :)

Everyone has deliberate political opinions.  But no, it's not limited to republican violence.  But there's no argument if I said that rangers supporters glorify murderers.  You know it, I know it, they'll deny it, but they won't come on here to deny it.

The Glasgow press love to play semantics "is "hun" sectarian?" "is "fenian" sectarian?" "is it the old or new ira/uvf they're singing about?" .  That's not the point - there is a significant minority within both supports that seeks to import the violence and hatred that marked the conflict in Northern Ireland into Scottish football.

LDA, I and the vast majority of Scots are thoroughly sick of it.  We don't recognise it, we don't understand it, it's not part of our culture, yet every football match involving either of those teams turns into a party political broadcast from the 18th century.

If Irishmen want to celebrate their culture, why can't they do it in Ireland, at Irish football games?  We've got enough problems of our own to deal with already.

Main Street

Is this a rant against some Irish who go over and follow Celtic as if they are low breed bigots, that's rather condescending of you.

Why don't those Celtic fans just go home ;D

I often wonder where they would have been
If we hadn't have taken them in
Fed them and washed them
Thousands in Glasgow alone
From Ireland they came
Brought us nothing but trouble and shame
Well the famine is over
Why don't they go home?

I suspect you have have a selective definition of what constitutes Scottish culture.

LondonCamanachd

You'd suspect very very wrong.

Bigots whoever they follow aren't welcome in scottish football.

Genuine football supporters whoever they follow are.

There is no one scottish culture - there's many, and a lot of them have broad definitions.

Thinking that public expressions of hate and violence are stupid and outdated does not make a send them back type, no matter what you think.

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: Main Street on March 10, 2012, 11:29:16 AM
Is this a rant against some Irish who go over and follow Celtic as if they are low breed bigots, that's rather condescending of you.

against bigots full stop. Be they irish bigots that come over to watch rangers or celtic, or our own home grown arseholes

Main Street

I certainly have not got the impression that you are as broad  minded as you claim. And part of why you are here is not to discuss but rather to give vent to your type of Scottishness and the moral superiority of your pacifist world view vis a vis  selected aspects of republican ideology.
If you wish to discuss these matters, as I suggested start another thread. It would appear that you have much to learn about morality and violence.

On the modern wave of the pollution of Scottish culture by hoards of Irish bigots ;D
It would make no difference to Celtic fc, its ethos  or the traditions it is rooted in, if there were no travelling support from Ireland. If Scots today feel it is an integral part of their identity to celebrate aspects of Irish republican culture as espoused by the founding honourable patron Michael Davitt, it might be advisable for you to stretch your Scottishness at least to a point of respect.

Tony Baloney

Not too different from the attitudes in the North when a player declares for the South, he's all of a sudden regarded a bitter narrow minded bigot by NI fans, for expressing  (what is for the player) just a normal natural part of national identity.
Yes, boys like McClean feel so strongly about their national identity that it seems inextricably linked with the fortunes of the teams.

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: Main Street on March 10, 2012, 12:19:48 PM
I certainly have not got the impression that you are as broad  minded as you claim. And part of why you are here is not to discuss but rather to give vent to your type of Scottishness and the moral superiority of your pacifist world view vis a vis  selected aspects of republican ideology.
If you wish to discuss these matters, as I suggested start another thread. It would appear that you have much to learn about morality and violence.

That others choose a football stadium as a place to celebrate acts of violence would not suggest that I'm the one with much to learn about either morality or violence.

We differ in our opinions on that - cool.  We both live in modern european democracies where that sort of thing should be encouraged.  But to base the identity of a football club in another country on one strain of irish political thought is rather strange, no?

Quote from: Main Street on March 10, 2012, 12:19:48 PMOn the modern wave of the pollution of Scottish culture by hoards of Irish bigots ;D
It would make no difference to Celtic fc, its ethos  or the traditions it is rooted in, if there were no travelling support from Ireland. If Scots today feel it is an integral part of their identity to celebrate aspects of Irish republican culture as espoused by the founding honourable patron Michael Davitt, it might be advisable for you to stretch your Scottishness at least to a point of respect.

Its a rare celtic fan that sings about land reform.