Rangers FC to go into administration

Started by Lecale2, February 13, 2012, 03:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: LondonCamanachd on March 09, 2012, 01:13:12 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 09, 2012, 12:19:03 PM
why do so many Irishmen follow a Scottish one?

There's a strong link between Donegal and Scotland isn't there ?

More traditionally between Antrim and Scotland - hence Antrim being an isolted hurling county, where the tradition was to play with the longer, leaner hurl.

Then the Celtic tricolour stuff must have set off a feedback loop with the rest of the country.  And the 1967 european cup could have been in the mix at some stage.

Ahh, gloryhunting essentially.  Suppose that explains why Lochee Harp never got the big support from over the water...

didn't a lot of Donegal men go working in glasgow ? The  Antrim thing is a bit older I think.
Do you know this map ?  All placenames as Gaeilge agus Gaidhlig
http://www.colmcille.net/en/projects/project.php?ID=24

the angle is a bit different - the countries are fairly close if you look at it sideways

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: seafoid on March 09, 2012, 02:10:08 PM
Quote from: LondonCamanachd on March 09, 2012, 01:13:12 PM
why do so many Irishmen follow a Scottish one?

There's a strong link between Donegal and Scotland isn't there ?

More traditionally between Antrim and Scotland - hence Antrim being an isolted hurling county, where the tradition was to play with the longer, leaner hurl.

Then the Celtic tricolour stuff must have set off a feedback loop with the rest of the country.  And the 1967 european cup could have been in the mix at some stage.

Ahh, gloryhunting essentially.  Suppose that explains why Lochee Harp never got the big support from over the water...

didn't a lot of Donegal men go working in glasgow ? The  Antrim thing is a bit older I think.
Do you know this map ?  All placenames as Gaeilge agus Gaidhlig
http://www.colmcille.net/en/projects/project.php?ID=24

the angle is a bit different - the countries are fairly close if you look at it sideways

Placenames are an interesting one.

For example, the Western Isles, the main Gaidhlig speaking region, has mostly Germanic/Nordic placenames (every island ending in an -ey sound for example). 

Meanwhile, you'll find Gaidhlig place names in the North East, where the original language was more related to Welsh than Gaidhlig, and the modern dialect heavily influenced with Germanicsms picked up through trade with Scandinavia and the low countries - you'll still hear people prounounce what? as "fit?" or "white" as "fite", and the local word for girl, "quine" is almost exactly the same as the Norwegian.  Yet our shinty pitch was called Balgownie, I'd be very surprised of there wasn't a Ballygowan, Smithstown, somewhere in Ireland.

deiseach

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: deiseach on March 09, 2012, 02:20:30 PM
How do you pronounce 'Camanachd'?

In English, as its written, with the ch pronounced in the Scots or German way (or a heavily aspirated h).

I think the Gaidhlig pronounciation is a bit more like "camanach-ck".

It's also quite hard to define what it means, it's somewhere between "shinty" and "shinty organisation", some teams call themselves Placename Camanachd and some Placename Camanachd Club.

The sport itself is normally referred to as "iomain" in Gaidhlig media.

deiseach

Quote from: LondonCamanachd on March 09, 2012, 02:27:54 PM
Ca-man-akh-k

Or Camanash-ed if you'r english, and encountering the word for the first time.

My wife rarely conceals her exasperation at pronunciations in Irish. Despite this, she gets very stroppy if anyone mispronounces her beloved Berkshire

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: deiseach on March 09, 2012, 02:33:15 PM
Ca-man-akh-k

Or Camanash-ed if you'r english, and encountering the word for the first time.

My wife rarely conceals her exasperation at pronunciations in Irish. Despite this, she gets very stroppy if anyone mispronounces her beloved Berkshire

It's not so much the pronounciation as the complete lack of it:-

"bh" = "v", except when it doesn't and remains silent
"ch" = "ch", except when it doesn't remains silent
"dh" = " "
"gh" = "ch", except when it doesn't and remains silent
"mh" = "v", except when it doesn't and remains silent
"sh" = " "
"th" = " "

It's a minefield.

I doubt many non-Scots could pronounce "Kirkcudbright", "Anstruther", "Garioch", "Milngavie" or "Footdee" correctly first round.

deiseach

Quote from: LondonCamanachd on March 09, 2012, 02:41:19 PM
I doubt many non-Scots could pronounce "Kirkcudbright", "Anstruther", "Garioch", "Milngavie" or "Footdee" correctly first round.

You can say that about any language. How about "Bache", "Kirkby" or "Gateacre", placenames I was well familiar with by the time I left Liverpool. Even familiar placenames like Leicester or Portsmouth are daft if you break them down.

LondonCamanachd

btw, I've been reading your username as "jay-shoch", is that right, nearly right, or miles away?

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: deiseach on March 09, 2012, 02:20:30 PM
How do you pronounce 'Camanachd'?

In English, as its written, with the ch pronounced in the Scots or German way (or a heavily aspirated h).

I think the Gaidhlig pronounciation is a bit more like "camanach-ck".

It's also quite hard to define what it means, it's somewhere between "shinty" and "shinty organisation", some teams call themselves Placename Camanachd and some Placename Camanachd Club.

The sport itself is normally referred to as "iomain" in Gaidhlig media.

The phonetic pronounciation of the Gaelic word is camanach with an English k sound rolling of the end of the ch sound. It simply means the sport of shinty. Comunn na Camanachd - The Association of the Shinty. Camanachd an Obain - The Shinty of Oban.

As seafoid's map shows Scotland and Ireland share a common Gaelic culture and the links between the parts of the countries that are closest geographically go back thousands of years. The Gaelic of the southern isles in Scotland would traditionally be closer to the Irish of Ulster than to the Gaelic of Lewis. People having being coming and going over that bit of water for a long long time. The more recent Donegal link is due to mass immigration from there to Scotland in the 19th century but again you had Scots over there and Donegal folk over here long before that.  In fact, that's something else I can pin on the Old Firm fans, grossly over simplifying the long relationship between Scotland and Ireland. If you know your history indeed ;D

deiseach

Quote from: LondonCamanachd on March 09, 2012, 03:02:01 PM
btw, I've been reading your username as "jay-shoch", is that right, nearly right, or miles away?

Close enough. Day-shock, although I should spell it déiseach

camanchero

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 08, 2012, 09:36:39 PM
I don't think so. I think the rest of the Scottish fans despise the Old Firm for the fact that they have exploited sectarianism for mutual gain - carving up the spoils in Scottish football as a result - for over a century. The vast majority of the fans of other clubs couldn't give a shit about Irish politics yet since time immemorial have been subjected to morons brandishing red hand flags/tricolours and singing about being up to their knees in blood or blowing people up. And in the case of Celtic the bleating about how everybody is against them when in reality they have always been very much part of the establishment is tiresome.  Really they are both just horrible football clubs, and that's why the rest of Scottish football don't like them.
wouldnt be in agreement with you there
- i'd say the reason for dislike/hatred is the success of the two glasgow clubs. plus the townies v hicks old global feud.
- whats sectarian about an Irish Tricolour flag - or even how it is brandished.....come off it...
- what songs celebrate blowing people up- I dont know too many and certainly never heard them sung at CP.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: LondonCamanachd on March 09, 2012, 03:02:01 PM

I have been reading it "dey-shech". I probably wrong too, but it being Seachtain na Gaeilge I would be interested to get the correct pronunciation.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

LondonCamanachd

Quote from: camanchero on March 09, 2012, 03:18:33 PM
- i'd say the reason for dislike/hatred is the success of the two glasgow clubs. plus the townies v hicks old global feud.

Aye, such a shame that people from Aberdeen, Dundee and Edinburgh are hicks.  If only those cities were like Glasgow, they could be the centre of Europe's energy industry, have a flourishing regeneration and a world famous cultural festival.

deiseach

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 09, 2012, 03:21:34 PM
I have been reading it "dey-shech". I probably wrong too, but it being Seachtain na Gaeilge I would be interested to get the correct pronunciation.

I suppose it would be pronounced differently in other parts of the country. To me, 'Pól' is pronounced Pole. But the way my friend from Donegal pronounces his own name is as close to Paul as makes no difference. Which is handy, considering he only started using the Irish variant on his name a few years back!

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: camanchero on March 09, 2012, 03:18:33 PM
Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on March 08, 2012, 09:36:39 PM
I don't think so. I think the rest of the Scottish fans despise the Old Firm for the fact that they have exploited sectarianism for mutual gain - carving up the spoils in Scottish football as a result - for over a century. The vast majority of the fans of other clubs couldn't give a shit about Irish politics yet since time immemorial have been subjected to morons brandishing red hand flags/tricolours and singing about being up to their knees in blood or blowing people up. And in the case of Celtic the bleating about how everybody is against them when in reality they have always been very much part of the establishment is tiresome.  Really they are both just horrible football clubs, and that's why the rest of Scottish football don't like them.
wouldnt be in agreement with you there
- whats sectarian about an Irish Tricolour flag - or even how it is brandished.....come off it...
- what songs celebrate blowing people up- I dont know too many and certainly never heard them sung at CP.

Well that doesn't surprise me in the slightest. Those are however some of the key reasons for the dislike many Scottish football fans have for the Old Firm, or the "bigot brothers" as they are more commonly known amongst Scottish football fans.