Rangers FC to go into administration

Started by Lecale2, February 13, 2012, 03:43:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 22, 2014, 10:27:49 PM
How come welsh teams can enter the english league? Would it be any different to celtic in england?

(Genuinely don't know and would be surprised to see celtic there but if uefa can allow one can they not allow the other?)

I think that those clubs joined the English league before there was a Welsh league.  If so, there was never a point where they quit one league for the other. 

FLL

Quote from: lynchbhoy on December 23, 2014, 12:34:26 AM
Quote from: screenexile on December 22, 2014, 11:56:27 PM
Sorry but someone just said Celtic have a bigger fan base than Utd, Lpool, Chelsea, City... Celtics support comes from the green side of Glasgow, Green side of the North, some Free Staters and a class of weins in Thailand!!

For Celtic to move forward from here they need Rangers back or they need to get into England. Their appeal and fan base will continue to decline unless either of these 2 things happen.
Fan base def bigger than Chelsea ,City and most other English clubs

It's the international fan base

IMO Liverpool Man U would be around the same as Celtic internationally
Maybe bigger but I don't know for def.

Certainly nowhere in the same league as Barcelona or Real Madrid

But I agree they will better served by getting into English league

I'd have Celtic keep a reserve team in spl and enter into div 1 or 2 in English league and work their way up. Best of both worlds.

Are you for real?

bennydorano

They already seem to be playing EPL teams at underage / reserve level, played Sunderland last week. Could be the start of something. The cross-border issue is not an issue in modern Europe, as UEFA & FIFA will one day find out in court, Bosman etc..

take_yer_points

Sorry but someone just said Celtic have a bigger fan base than Utd, Lpool, Chelsea, City... Celtics support comes from the green side of Glasgow, Green side of the North, some Free Staters and a class of weins in Thailand!!

For Celtic to move forward from here they need Rangers back or they need to get into England. Their appeal and fan base will continue to decline unless either of these 2 things happen.

I'd have Celtic keep a reserve team in spl and enter into div 1 or 2 in English league and work their way up. Best of both worlds.

How would you define and quantify the international fan base of a football club? I'm interested what measure you're using that has Liverpool and Man U on a par with Celtic

gallsman

Quote from: bennydorano on December 23, 2014, 08:27:19 AM
They already seem to be playing EPL teams at underage / reserve level, played Sunderland last week. Could be the start of something. The cross-border issue is not an issue in modern Europe, as UEFA & FIFA will one day find out in court, Bosman etc..

What impact would Bosman have on rules concerning league membership?

JoG2

Chelsea, Man City....what's that John McEnroe quote? :-)

deiseach

Quote from: take_yer_points on December 23, 2014, 08:28:59 AM
How would you define and quantify the international fan base of a football club? I'm interested what measure you're using that has Liverpool and Man U on a par with Celtic

Almost everyone in southern Europe, Austria, Bavaria, Croatia, South & Central America, the Philippines . . . see a pattern emerging?

deiseach

Quote from: bennydorano on December 23, 2014, 08:27:19 AM

It might be the start of something all right. Something has to change in European football, you can't have grand old clubs like Benfica, Ajax and Celtic perpetually denied access to the telly gravy train. However, I doubt the European Commission will do anything about it, any more than they interfere in national broadcasting cartels like the BBC and RTÉ. As long as individuals have the freedom to move, they won't be bothered.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: take_yer_points on December 23, 2014, 08:28:59 AM

This kind of info crops up regularly enough - google it and see what you get.
I think it is in terms of marketing/merchandising.

Afaik the likes of Celtic are bigger in USA and Australia etc than most English clubs, but Man U would be huge in Asia - as were Liverpool but apparently on the decline after too many barren years.

Boycey

Sorry Lynchbhoy Celtic wouldn't touch the sides of the pull United or Liverpool for that matter have worldwide

Up to 30,000 people watched the United/Liverpool match in Mumbai a few weeks ago

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11293593/Manchester-United-v-Liverpool-Tens-of-thousands-of-fans-watch-game-on-big-screen-in-Mumbai.html

107,000 watched United and Real in the US during the summer, no disrespect to Celtic put they're not in that league

JimStynes

If celtic were in the premier league they would have the potential to have the same fan base as United and Liverpool. The bottom line is they need out of scotland, into english premier league or into a European league with the likes of Ajax, Benfica etc. There is minimal potential for growth or improvement playing in Scotland and that is not going to change any time soon.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Boycey on December 23, 2014, 11:56:19 AM
Sorry Lynchbhoy Celtic wouldn't touch the sides of the pull United or Liverpool for that matter have worldwide

Up to 30,000 people watched the United/Liverpool match in Mumbai a few weeks ago

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/11293593/Manchester-United-v-Liverpool-Tens-of-thousands-of-fans-watch-game-on-big-screen-in-Mumbai.html

107,000 watched United and Real in the US during the summer, no disrespect to Celtic put they're not in that league
India is in Asia ....

Hate to say it but these days the support is Man U

Younger fans are not supporting English teams - mostly Real Madrid and barca

lynchbhoy

Quote from: JimStynes on December 23, 2014, 12:12:04 PM
If celtic were in the premier league they would have the potential to have the same fan base as United and Liverpool. The bottom line is they need out of scotland, into english premier league or into a European league with the likes of Ajax, Benfica etc. There is minimal potential for growth or improvement playing in Scotland and that is not going to change any time soon.
+1

Or ever (never)

T Fearon

Don't know.Woukd you really prefer Celtic to become a U.S. or Arabian franchise like Liverpool,Man a Utd or Man City?

foxcommander

Quote from: T Fearon on December 23, 2014, 05:56:52 PM
Don't know.Woukd you really prefer Celtic to become a U.S. or Arabian franchise like Liverpool,Man a Utd or Man City?

Doesn't matter these days. the soul of the club is gone. Fans are now consumers. Most players don't give a monkeys, they still get paid no matter what and look to leave if better offers come their way.

Gone are the days of Paul McStay
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie