Cork v Mayo NFL

Started by Redgreenery, March 18, 2007, 09:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redgreenery

So fixtured for Saturday in Pairc Ui Rinn, long trip.
I feel this is going to be tough for Mayo to win. Cork have had an up and down season beating Tyrone by a good margin at home and then been beaten by a good margin by Dublin in Parnell Park.
Obviously Cork have a good home record.
Hard to give an opinion on who I think will win at the present time.
Good news for Mayo is that K O Neill is expected to return for this match which should be a boost for the team while D Brady isnt expected back till the Dublin game unfortuneatly.

stephenite

Is this an evening kick off with TG4 coverage?

KIDDO

Setanta coverage for this game.

stephenite

Redgreenery

The games going to be at 7:30pm.

Redgreenery

QuoteThe Cork Senior Football squad have been boosted by the return of Kevin MacMahon as they prepare for their crucial league clash with Mayo at Páirc Uí Rinn on Saturday.

The Rebels have only a single win to their name in the current campaign but they can still ensure Division 1 football next time around, according to selector John Corcoran.

"As far as next year's league is concerned, our position in the table is very worrying," he admitted to the Irish Independent, "but it's far from hopeless.

"If we win our remaining three league games, we'll have an excellent chance of at least avoiding playing in division two next season.

"And if a combination of results in other games went in our favour, we could yet make the play-offs."

Michael Cussen is expected to start in the number 14 jersey for Billy Morgan's side, but Donnocha O'Connor will miss the encounter because of a shoulder injury which is likely to keep him out of action for up to four weeks.

Meanwhile, Mayo forward Ciaran McDonald has returned to light training with his county's squad but will not play any part in the clash against.

Midfielder David Brady is also sidelined, while Kevin O'Neill and Trevor Mortimer are doubtful for the fixture.

Anyone know what happened to Trevor?

Redgreenery

Ok just read there that Trevor Mortimer sustained a foot injury in a trial game last weekend against the U-21 panel, McDonald also featured in this game for 15 minutes.
Brady will be out still with the calf injury while K O Neill is available for the first team but it is not yet known if he'll start.

Bod Mor

Ok this is the last time I will say this. John O'Mahony if you are reading this, Aidan Kilcoyne needs to start a few league matches. He scored 8 points at the weekend against Castlebar, what has this lad got to do to start a match.
There won't be much in this match, one or two point victory for someone. We need to keep Masters quiet and compete with Nicholas Murphy in the middle.
Cork badly need the 2 points, lets hope we can match them with our hunger!
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Tubberman

According to today's Independent, David Heaney and Aidan Kilcoyne come in for James Nallen and Trevor Mortimer.
So Aidan Kilcoyne gets his long awaited NFL start you'll be glad to see Redgreenery  :)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Tubberman

From Mayogaa.com:

Cionait Ó Maille (Kenneth O'Malley) Baile An Roba

Liam Ó Maille (Liam O'Malley) Burris Umhaill

Seamus Mac GiollachuiliN (James Kilcullen) Bealach A Doirin

Ciot Ó h-Uigin (Keith Higgins) Béal Atha h-Amhnais

Eanna Ó Duibheannaigh (Enda Devenney) Beal An Fheadha

Liam S Mac Phaidin (Billy Padden) Béal An Mhuirthead

Peadar Ó Gardineir (Peadar Gardiner) Crois Mhaoiliona

Paraic Ó h-Airt (Pat Harte) Beal An Fheadha

Daithi Ó h-Einne (David Heaney) Beal Atha Na Muice

Aodan Ó Cathmhaoil (Aidan Campbell) Beal Atha Na Muice

Aodan MacGiolla Chadhain (Aidan Kilcoyne) Cnoc Mór

Gearoid Ó Brádaigh (Ger Brady) Beal An Fheadha

Conc Ó Muircheartaigh (Conor Mortimer) Sruthair G/C

Alan Ó Dioluin (Alan Dillon) Baile An Tobair

Aindriu Ó Morain (Andy Moran) Bealach A Doirin

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Redgreenery

Quote from: Tubberman on March 22, 2007, 08:42:09 AM
According to today's Independent, David Heaney and Aidan Kilcoyne come in for James Nallen and Trevor Mortimer.
So Aidan Kilcoyne gets his long awaited NFL start you'll be glad to see Redgreenery  :)
Twas Bod Mor wanting desperatetly for him to start but I will admit I am also happy to see him start.
What happened to James Nallen or was he just dropped?
Probably is the strongest team we have although I was under the impression that K O Neill would be back to start this game, pity hes still out!
Would be a bit concerned about D Heany in midfield but there isnt really anyone else on the team that has played there before.
Glad to see Andy Moran staying in full forward as I thought he put a good performance in against Fermanagh there.
Happy enough with the team overall.
Its impossible to say who'll win though!

OirthearMhaigheo

will be a tough one to call alright. Cork have been very patchy to say the least so far but we haven't been setting the world alight either, although still picking up the points. I'm glad to see Andy M in the team again but wouldn't agree that he did well in the full forward line 2 weeks ago as he was moved out to half-forward early on. That is where he consistently does his best work, so I would expect to see him come out again if we aren't making hay at midfied which realistically could happen given Murphy is back for the langers. Another good test for Kilcullen and BJP, every day they'll learn something new, so hopefully they'll pass this test aswell. Tough one to call but I would be disappointed if we don't win this one all the same. There will be a Cork backlash after the pasting they got off the dubs but hopefully we'll have enough about us to come out the other side, a one point win will do just fine, and hopefull a good performance to go with it.

ildanach

i think this will be a tough test. Cork will  definately up there game from the shite they displayed against dubin add to that,that it is there home game. We have 3 games left cork , dublin (home) and tyrone (away) . We realistically need a minimum of 4 points to have a chance of making the play offs.
I would have liked to see dillion in the half forward line. The team is very much changed from what lined out last year against them:
John Healy, Liam O'Malley, David Heaney, Keith Higgins, Pat Kelly, James Nallen, Peadar Gardiner, James Gill, Ronan McGarrity, Alan Costello, Ger Brady, Billy Joe Padden, Andy Moran, Austin O'Malley, Alan Dillon. Although the team this time seems more pacey and maybe if we had our first choice midfield i would be more confident- but i dont think we will get a result this week

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Farrandeelin

I'm also glad that Kilcoyne has started. Mayo need to raise their game from the last couple of outings or we will be beat easily. If we do (raise our game) there's no reason why we can't get a good result in Cork. I'd take a draw myself.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tatler Jack

If Cork line out as selected then I cannot see them winning especially as Donnacha O'Connor is injured and they are only playing Shields from the U21's. Cork have decent enough backs but the forwards are weak both in terms of creating and taking scores - they need twice as much possession as the other team. Even against Tyrone there was only two points in it when Mulligan was sent off and also Tyrone had to replace their two corner backs. Tyrone more or less gave up in the last 15 mins and it was easy for Cork to get some handy points. If Mayo break even at midfield they should win as I cannot see Cork scoring more than 9 or 10 points and Mayo are capable of 1-12 or 1-13. Forecast is for dry weather which will test the cork backs..the night against Tyrone pitch was heavy and it was more suited to backs.