An Unexpected Road

Started by laoislad, February 06, 2012, 12:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lfdown2

Lad, let me start by saying how it's funny how you get to know people's goings on from an Internet forum, it's not so long since I remember you going out on your own as a spark (am I right?) and now we're here for the birth of your first child...congratulations!

THE SEQUEL
I wasn't around for the birth of my sister and I thank you for giving an insight in to the thoughts of my parents, it must have been a difficult time for them (as it is for yourselves) I don't have many memories of the early years ( my sister is 3 years older) but Michelle dominates most of my early...in fact all memories. Michelle was born with both mentally and physical disabilities, she is totally dependant, from what I hear/remember she spent her first decade in and out of intensive care, 'supposedly' she had months to live, I'm told that ice pops saved her after a dislike of fluids...thank god she did because the years that followed made me the man I am. I grew up questioning people that sneaked a peak ("that's my sister don't fuking dare stare") I grew up going to carers groups which in one instance put me in charge of sailing a boat to Scotland and a cameo appearance on UTV. Michelle made us all the people we are and made us as close a family as I know. Through those groups I have met kids/adults with downsyndrome and they are the most loveable and easy to love people I have ever met. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that you have a hard road ahead, a very hard road, but a very very rewarding road. I hope and bet that in years to come that you will thank god for the most perfect child because I know that no money in the world or 'normal' children could ever replace my perfect sister, I love Michelle more than any (Irish) man could ever say. Lad best of luck to the 3 of you and (I'm sure you've plenty) you always have any ear here!  Comhghairdeas

Shortso79

A truly heart warming and moving post.

All the best for the future.

Asal Mor

Wow that's powerful stuff Laois lad. Very moving. All the best to you and your family.

Farrandeelin

Nothing more remains to be said from me that hasn't been said before. Just that you're in my thoughts and prayers. Don't know why I didn't have a look earlier.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

laoislad

Just wanted to thank everyone for the kind messages of support you all left on this thread and the dozens of Pm's and text messages I got.I really am overwhelmed by the amount of posters who left messages of support and goodwill and offered advice and help and I really appreciate them all.I can't get over how some of you even went to the trouble of sourcing and providing me with email address and numbers of people who may be of help to us and Eóghan in the immediate future and the months and years to come.
It was great to hear other posters open up and tell about their own experience with family members or friends who also have Down Syndrome or other conditions.I got many more of these type of stories through Pm's and they were all tales that were positive and it really helped to hear that it is possible to have a normal and fulfilling life despite what condition a person may have.

I didn't know what to expect when I sat down to write my post,I had my doubts that it would help me at all.I was never much for putting words together and I thought it would be a thing where I was looking at a blank screen thinking of something to write and it would make me even more annoyed than I was already.
Strangely enough though once I had the first sentence down I couldn't stop writing and it almost just seemed to write itself.
I have no doubts it's full of spelling, punctuation and grammar mistakes that O'Neill would spot blindfolded but the actual exercise of writing down what I was feeling and then reading it back to myself really did help more than I ever thought it would.

I know I have a long road ahead and there will be tough times that I didn't ever think I would have to face but I am more hopeful than I was even last week when I first wrote the post that Eóghan can and will lead a long,happy and independent life.
Yeah some of the dreams I had for him have gone but I have new hopes and dreams for him now and I know he will make me a very proud Dad some day,in fact he already has.

Thanks again to everyone for all the messages of goodwill and support.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: laoislad on February 14, 2012, 09:09:20 PM
Just wanted to thank everyone for the kind messages of support you all left on this thread and the dozens of Pm's and text messages I got.I really am overwhelmed by the amount of posters who left messages of support and goodwill and offered advice and help and I really appreciate them all.I can't get over how some of you even went to the trouble of sourcing and providing me with email address and numbers of people who may be of help to us and Eóghan in the immediate future and the months and years to come.
It was great to hear other posters open up and tell about their own experience with family members or friends who also have Down Syndrome or other conditions.I got many more of these type of stories through Pm's and they were all tales that were positive and it really helped to hear that it is possible to have a normal and fulfilling life despite what condition a person may have.

I didn't know what to expect when I sat down to write my post,I had my doubts that it would help me at all.I was never much for putting words together and I thought it would be a thing where I was looking at a blank screen thinking of something to write and it would make me even more annoyed than I was already.
Strangely enough though once I had the first sentence down I couldn't stop writing and it almost just seemed to write itself.
I have no doubts it's full of spelling, punctuation and grammar mistakes that O'Neill would spot blindfolded but the actual exercise of writing down what I was feeling and then reading it back to myself really did help more than I ever thought it would.

I know I have a long road ahead and there will be tough times that I didn't ever think I would have to face but I am more hopeful than I was even last week when I first wrote the post that Eóghan can and will lead a long,happy and independent life.
Yeah some of the dreams I had for him have gone but I have new hopes and dreams for him now and I know he will make me a very proud Dad some day,in fact he already has.

Thanks again to everyone for all the messages of goodwill and support.
Can you get back to the important business of tormenting Ross4life etc!

Feckitt

I know it's been a busy few weeks for ye LL , but did you hear that Paul Daniels near chopped his hand off?

johnpower

Best of luck to the 3 of you

laoislad

Hi All

Hope ye don't mind me dragging this thread up again but I thought it appropriate to post it here.
Eoghan became a big brother today with the birth of our second child and another son.
Thankfully all is well and there was none of the drama of the first time,apart from it being another bit of a dash to get there.
Both baby and Mammy are doing great.

Eoghan is also doing great and has exceeded our expectations and to be honest I wouldn't change a single thing about him now and that was something I never thought I'd be able to say.He is now a bold little 2 year old and he amazes me every day.
Anyone that is friends with me on Facebook will have seen him grow into the little boy he is today.

I read back on this thread this morning while wife and new baby were sleeping and it still amazes me the level of support and good will messages I got and believe me it really did help at the time.
There was one message that stood out as I read it back today and that was this one

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 07, 2012, 01:18:54 PM
As someone who has become a parent in the last year a lot of what you posted really resonated with me.  I sincerely wish you good luck with everything and with the guts you've displayed thus far, I'm sure you will get through the tough times, which I hope are few and savour the good times, which I know will be many.

I remember reading this at the time and while I certainly appreciated magpie taking the time to write it I thought the bit in bold could never be true. But do you know what,magpie seanie couldn't have been more right. The tough times have been tough but the good times in the last 2 and a half years have well out weighed the tough times.

Anyway that's it all is good ,but I've only just realised it's feckin Good Friday and I won't be able go for a pint tonight!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Glad all is well. Come up North tonight and we can all sup to your 2 great kids

From the Bunker

Howdy, Congratulations on becoming a father again LL. As I said parenthood is a big responsibility. We get no training in how really to deal with it bar looking back to how our parents dealt with things and more than likely mimicking them. Human nature and cop on kick in along the way if you are lucky.

You do realise you now have to purchase two Liverpool kits a year?

orangeman

Time to change the licensing laws.

Congrats.

ziggysego

Congratulations RLL and Mr RLL on the arrival of the second boy.

I've been watching your first wee man grow up on Facebook and he wants for nothing. He is much loved and is a very lucky boy to have great parents and family around him. I bet he's going to love his new role as big brother. :)

On a side note, it's cruel making him wear Liverpool tops.
Testing Accessibility

AQMP

Congratulations LL.  Nip up to the Black North and you'll be able to wet the ba's head (from 5pm).  No late shouts on Good Friday so you'll be back in plenty of time for visiting tomorrow. All the best.

Asal Mor

That's brilliant Laois lad - congrats. I was just reading back through the thread and it really is powerful. Best wishes to Tony Baloney and his family too. Hope your young lad is still doing well - I missed your post first time around.