RTE League Sunday

Started by Leo, February 05, 2012, 09:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

GAA 2012 seemed to concentrate on Div 1 and 2 games.   I doubt it has the budget to get to Div.3 and 4 games.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Sportacus

Whichever channel unearths a great commentator will have it nailed.  God I used to love listening to O'Hehir in my youth. He had a great tone and really added to the atmosphere. There's nobody commentating at the moment who I enjoy. I really think it's actually doing damage to the GAA - like do you ever see a child running about with a ball impersonating Morrisey?

Jinxy

I couldn't care less about that to be honest.
The problem we have now is commentators that try to be 'characters' with pointless anecdotes and folksy mucksavagery.
Give me someone like Darragh Maloney, who just says what's happening on the pitch, over that tired stereotype any day of the week.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Ciarrai_thuaidh

Quote from: Jinxy on February 07, 2012, 07:26:57 PM
The problem we have now is commentators that try to be 'characters' with pointless anecdotes and folksy mucksavagery.
Give me someone like Darragh Maloney, who just says what's happening on the pitch, over that tired stereotype any day of the week.

This.
Moloney, despite not being a GAA man at all, is the best RTE commentator right now. No bullsh*t or ramblings a la Morrissey/Canning.
"Better to die on your feet,than live on your knees"...

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on February 07, 2012, 07:42:13 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on February 07, 2012, 07:26:57 PM

This.
Moloney, despite not being a GAA man at all, is the best RTE commentator right now. No bullsh*t or ramblings a la Morrissey/Canning.
Yeah, Maloney is the best by a mile

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Orangemac

Quote from: PAULD123 on February 07, 2012, 05:59:46 PM
An hour is not enough for highlights from 16 games. Match of the Day covers only around 7-8 matches and it takes an hour and a half.  Premier Soccer Saturday is over 2 hours long for the same number of matches.

Ten minutes is the minimum time that should be given to each Division 1 game, 6-7 minutes for Division 2, 2-3 minutes for division 3 and a minute for division 4. Throw in about 20-30 minutes chatting and analysis, that would give a show that was approximately an hour and 45 minutes long for all games over the weekend.

That is an appropriate length for a highlights show. Not a meseley hour where half the show is one game and some other Division 1 matches get less than 2 minutes, let alone what happens to lower division games!
This sounds logical. Unfortunately not to RTE. It is in the GAAs interests that the skills/scores of GAA are showcased properly particularly for younger viewers. With modern technology it is not expensive to have highlights from all games. Maybe the GAA needs to launch it's own channel.

mylestheslasher

Marty was commentating on radio 1 last Saturday and it was shocking. The nature of radio means commentators must talk more than on tv which is a big negative where Marty is concerned. He is just brutal.

Farrandeelin

He's a reporter, not a commentator. He shouldn't be allowed to commentate.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: mylestheslasher on February 07, 2012, 11:48:00 PM
Marty was commentating on radio 1 last Saturday and it was shocking. The nature of radio means commentators must talk more than on tv which is a big negative where Marty is concerned. He is just brutal.

Was listening to him at the match. With Kerry a point up Marty was telling us "There is no score after three and a half minutes of play". 30 seconds later his next comment up "And after four minutes Kerry are up by two points". I'd have fucked the phone at him if he was within range, I'd say Dessie was doing his nut.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Denn Forever

Just watching Seó Spóirt repeat this morning with subtitles.  Great show. See Tony Fearon won their weekly competition.  That man wins again.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Aaron Boone

Tomorrow this show will hv highlights of the two games Setanta have already shown tonight and the two games TG4 have tomorrow. Pointless really.

Jinxy

Not if you don't have Setanta.
Plus, they're the the two most attractive fixtures from a viewers perspective.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Aaron Boone on February 11, 2012, 01:09:33 PM
Tomorrow this show will hv highlights of the two games Setanta have already shown tonight and the two games TG4 have tomorrow. Pointless really.

It'll be one and a half setanta games so!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Hoof Hearted

It's like the sundaygame tonight - lyster and O'Rourke both on
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Sportacus

That was a fair discussion on kildare monaghan dust up.  Wasn't much but it won't look good in Monday papers, and it comes quickly after the derrytresk thing.  And any sanctions handed down when these things happen will be watered down - nail on the head.