RTE League Sunday

Started by Leo, February 05, 2012, 09:45:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ard-Rí

Quote from: Jinxy on April 29, 2012, 11:09:55 PM
To be honest, I thought the same until I saw the replays.
It was no free.
Unless we want to go down the soccer 'there was definite contact there' route.

True for ya. Soccer is well on the way to being non-contact, we don't want to take any inspiration from those quarters.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

From the Bunker

Quote from: Ard-Rí on April 29, 2012, 11:23:12 PM
It was no free.

True for ya. Soccer is well on the way to being non-contact, we don't want to take any inspiration from those quarters.

Give it time!

moysider

Quote from: moysider on April 29, 2012, 10:46:32 PM
Quote from: sheamy on April 29, 2012, 09:50:31 PM
Brolly went a bit OTT but he is absolutely right to highlight disgusting play acting. As long as he does it consistently though. It is one of the most hideous things in the game.

A bit of balance would be in order. Why did Brolly not highlight the handtrip by O Neill on Vaughan and Cadogan giving him the hip on the way down? Cynical and very dangerous in turn. Another foul by O Neill on Keegan which effected a 4 and possibly six point turnaround? No mention of that either. He wheeled out an admittedly ill-judged, but hardly game-changing feint by Vaughan, to sew it into one of his pet hates.

I would have no problem with Brolly highlighting Vaughan's stuff if he balanced that with a rabid O Leary shaking a player that could have had a head/neck injury! As well as the foul that allowed Cork to kill the game. Both were  correctly highlighted on TG4 earlier but not a meg from the national broadcaster.

Would it a have been ok to grab and shake McCrory in the earlier game? He s supposed to be neutral.

Then he s on about Tony McEntee and Crossmaglen? WTF. Surprised he didn t manage to drag Enda Muldoon in as well. Utter bollix.

It was no free.

Keegan was pushed in the back causing him to lose balance and fall over. That s  a free as much as a trip in same circumstances would be. End of. Yellow card too under the circumstances. Player through for possibly a goal chance and a last desperate push by a flailing opponent. If he got closer it would be a better push but as anybody that has ever ran a bit fast knows it takes f**k all of a push to make you fall over. 100% foul. No matter. History now. But I thought Deegan today was intimidated/bullied more today than even the Mayo players were. Little chat with captains before throw-in ( what was he expecting?!) Before Vaughan did his Luganis he was hit in the throat, by a Cork defender. He looked at the ref. who was disinterested, so yer man has another go.
  Like Ballyshannon some weeks ago, this could be the making of us. If we play Cork later this year I will give us a good chance. They, and their manager, were unseasonally serious today.

sheamy

Quote from: moysider on April 29, 2012, 10:46:32 PM
Then he s on about Tony McEntee and Crossmaglen? WTF. Surprised he didn t manage to drag Enda Muldoon in as well. Utter bollix.

I'm not defending Brolly. The bollix can do that himself  :)
Am just saying he's right to highlight playacting and more people should do it. Agree, not nice what O'Leary did and the slap he dished out before that.

These pundits make a name out of pissing people off. First McHugh calls Jinxy's boys saft and now Brolly takes Mayo to task over playacting. This is only fuel to their fires. They are best ignored with the mute button to be honest.