Down v Donegal, National League Division one, round one, Newry, 04-02-12

Started by redandblackareback, February 02, 2012, 10:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redandblackareback

Any thoughts on the game? Will Down announce a team now or wait till the evening of the game? Will be interesting to see if Mc Guinness carries the successful and effective gameplan he had last year into the match, I think Down struggle against this type of game.

Keane

Think it will be very tough for Donegal to get the win in this one considering they're missing Murphy, McFadden and McHugh. Where are the scores going to come from like?

Added to that they seem to have had a very disjointed preseason, lots of complaining and negativity coming out of the camp in the media, and a very poor showing in the McKenna Cup.

Think they'll struggle.

Leo

This team will be along shortly .....
Alder
Howard, D O'Hagan, Rafferty
P Murphy, Garvey, G McCartan
King, D Rooney
O'Reilly, M Magee, C Poland
McComiskey, Murtagh, D O'Hare

In the meantime we will make do with some others.
Fierce tame altogether

Mourne Rover

Leo's point is well made, and he does not mention the likes of Fitzpatrick, Clarke, Mooney and Colgan who all Down Under. For a range of reasons, 12 players who either started or came on as subs against Cork in our last championship match are unavailable tomorrow. Both sides are understrength, and the one which copes best will get the points.

redandblackareback

Quote from: Leo on February 02, 2012, 11:47:19 PM
Alder
King, D Rooney

Whats the point behind posting these names Leo?

Thought that was a vital 2 points last night, but from what i seen today we have nothing to fear going to Cork next week, I think we could spring a surprise. Donegal supporters must be disillusioned having to travel to watch that.  >:(

Agent Orange

Quote from: redandblackareback on February 05, 2012, 07:39:58 PM
Donegal supporters must be disillusioned having to travel to watch that.  >:(

Indeed. £11 in to watch 2 bad teams.

Shortso79

Thought Liam Doyle and Dan Gordon were excellent for down last night

whitegoodman

Quote from: Shortso79 on February 05, 2012, 09:45:30 PM
Thought Liam Doyle and Dan Gordon were excellent for down last night

Doyle yes, Gordon I couldnt agree with.  His midfielder Turley was the better of the 2 on the night.

Leo

Quote from: Leo on February 02, 2012, 11:47:19 PM
Alder
King, D Rooney

Whats the point behind posting these names Leo?

Thought that was a vital 2 points last night, but from what i seen today we have nothing to fear going to Cork next week, I think we could spring a surprise. Donegal supporters must be disillusioned having to travel to watch that.  >:(

I would have though my point was obvious, but to expand...
1. The Mckenna Cup is a meaningless try-out or trawl for players we already know are not there.
2. The opening game of the NFL bears no relationship to an eventual championship team.
OK, got it?
Fierce tame altogether

Leo

Quote from: Agent Orange on February 05, 2012, 08:40:21 PM
Donegal supporters must be disillusioned having to travel to watch that.  >:(

Indeed. £11 in to watch 2 bad teams.

Some irony in having sympathy with Donrgal supporters, I assume, since their team is the Taliban of gaelic football. The only interest in the game was how a traditional football team like Down might try to break down the fundalemtalism of defence that is the McGuinness way without resorting to the same putrid style. The answer was - not very well - witness the frustration of one of the game's best forwards, one B Coulter, as he battled to cope with 2, 3 and sometimes 4 markers.
Our game is flawed and, if not addressed, doomed, and Donegal people will not even travel to Ballybofey never mind Newry to suffer that crap.
Fierce tame altogether