Counties your county hasn't played against in ages

Started by Shamrock Shore, January 29, 2012, 01:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derry Optimist

Shamrock Shore you have a very accurate recall of the statistics of that far-off Saturday night. Being a really serious religious practitioner I vividly remember arriving just in time for the Easter Saturday ceremonies at a church on the way home! That is a diplomatic way of saying that the matches took place on a Saturday evening! By the way after your good provincial minor success of two years ago Longford should have a strong, competitive side at U 21 level this year. You could say we Longford and Derry GAA supporters are truly inclusive and non partisan!

Donnellys Hollow

Read an article recently that said Kildare are the only county that haven't played London.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

commonman

I have seen Roscommon play all 33 other counties over last 20 years or so - longest gap i think is Laois who i dont think we have played competitively at senior level since around 1993

Plain of the Herbs

Yea, Offaly haven't played Armagh since the 1998/99 league. Offaly have played every county since, except Derry who they last played in the 1997/98 league final.
So, there is a strong possibility Ciaran McManus has played against every county.
Quote from: Orior on January 29, 2012, 05:53:20 PM
Amagh have not played Offaly for a while.

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 29, 2012, 03:06:02 PM
I can't recall Mayo ever playing Antrim in a senior football game of any sort. Granted, I could well be wrong as the oul' memory is getting a bit flaky but I'm pretty confident that the pair never met.
I don't think we ever played Tipp or Waterford either and I'm inclined to add Carlow to the list also.

I distinctly remember Mayo play Antrim in the League. I m certain it was in Crossmolina. Early/mid nineties. We played Tipp. in a qualifier in Limerick or Ennis and we played Carlow in the League circa 97/98. I can t recall ever playing Waterford but I knew a girl from Waterford once. Lovely girl.

Never beat the deeler

Yes, Mayo played Antrim in Crossmolina in 91.

Deff played Carlow, it was in Charlestown, and remember the game against Tipp in Ennis - D Brady and J Horan were doing most of the scoring up until McD came on. We lost to Cork that year - 2002?

I can safely say i've never been to a senior game against Waterford, and would be confident that we haven't faced them in my lifetime anyway.
Hasta la victoria siempre

fitzroyalty

When is the last time Armagh played Clare?

I think Mayo played Antrim last year albeit in a challenge, according to TIOY.

mannix

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 29, 2012, 03:06:02 PM
I can't recall Mayo ever playing Antrim in a senior football game of any sort. Granted, I could well be wrong as the oul' memory is getting a bit flaky but I'm pretty confident that the pair never met.
I don't think we ever played Tipp or Waterford either and I'm inclined to add Carlow to the list also.

Mayo 21 points
Tipp 1 14

Championship 2002 I believe.

Onlooker

I think it is a good few years since Tipperary played Galway.  I can't recall it anyway.

Jinxy

Don't think we've played Wicklow in a good while.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

muppet

It is a long time since we were playing a county that were losing an All-Ireland Final.
MWWSI 2017

Billys Boots

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on January 29, 2012, 02:13:07 PM
Armagh 2-15
Longford 0-12

1998 NFL. Although that is the only game Armagh and Longford have ever played.

I remember that one alright, a fellah I know on that Longford team reckoned that Armagh side was one if the best he'd played against. 

I also remember a friendly against Armagh prior to the championship in 2004-2005 or so that Longford won. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

rrhf

Must be wrong - I always thought Stevie Mc Donnell had scored 4 goals in a backdoor game against Longford in 03?

AQMP

Antrim v Galway?  I'm sure now someone will post that we played about 3 years ago!

Onlooker

Quote from: rrhf on January 30, 2012, 09:15:23 AM
Must be wrong - I always thought Stevie Mc Donnell had scored 4 goals in a backdoor game against Longford in 03?
I think that was against Limerick.