Counties your county hasn't played against in ages

Started by Shamrock Shore, January 29, 2012, 01:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

I was thinking there recently about counties Longford haven't played against, in my recall which goes back to the mid 1970s, in a competitive match.

I can recall League/Leinster/AIQ/Centenary Cup games against most counties except Armagh. And the last time Longford met Galway was 1982 or thereabouts. Have we never met Armagh in the past 40 or so years?

I assume there is no county that has never played another county in a competitive game (let's ignore Kilkenny footballers). But then again has Leitirm ever played Kerry? Has Waterford made the trip to Ballybofey?

Armaghgeddon

Armagh 2-15
Longford 0-12

1998 NFL. Although that is the only game Armagh and Longford have ever played.

Shamrock Shore

Thanks Armaghgeddon. Must have erased that from the brain.

BallyhaiseMan

I can't remember Cavan ever playing Clare or London in football.
We haven't played Carlow in the NFL since 1994 i think.
We haven't played Laytrum since 1996.
Kerry since 1998?????(thank f00k for that too)

Lar Naparka

I can't recall Mayo ever playing Antrim in a senior football game of any sort. Granted, I could well be wrong as the oul' memory is getting a bit flaky but I'm pretty confident that the pair never met.
I don't think we ever played Tipp or Waterford either and I'm inclined to add Carlow to the list also.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 29, 2012, 03:06:02 PM
I can't recall Mayo ever playing Antrim in a senior football game of any sort. Granted, I could well be wrong as the oul' memory is getting a bit flaky but I'm pretty confident that the pair never met.
I don't think we ever played Tipp or Waterford either and I'm inclined to add Carlow to the list also.

Mayo have played Antrim and Tipp

Shamrock Shore

QuoteI can't remember Cavan ever playing Clare or London in football

That will be remedied next year in The League ;)

Tubberman

I remember mayo playing tipp in a qualifier in ennis. Ciaran mc made his return from exile that day I think...
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mylestheslasher

For Cavan, don't recall us ever playing Carlow or Kilkenny (although we played kilkenny in the leinster junior champ last year). Every other county I can remember a game in the last 10 or 15 years.

ross4life

Off the top of my head, we haven't played Derry since the league semi final in clones 12 years ago & last time we played Laois was back in the early 90s.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Fuzzman

Has Tyrone ever played the lollypops(Carlow) or Wickla?

I remember in the 90's Kilkenny footballers or was it Tipp came up to Omagh for a NFL Div4 game and they all stopped and looked up as an army helicopter came in to land nearby

Cosmo Kramer

Mayo played Antrim in a challenge match last year in Kiltimagh. If that doesn't count they played them in Casement in the 95/96 league I think when we spent a year down in division 3. We played Tipp in the 2002 All Ireland Qualifiers and played both Carlow and Kilkenny the year that the league was restructured and teams of all standards were mixed across the divisions for a season - would have been late 90's I'd say.

However I can't ever remember us playing Waterford and am also struggling to think of a game between Mayo and Wicklow.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Derry Optimist

Longford , if I remember correctly, played Galway in a double header Centenary Cup match on Easter Saturday night in 1984, in Tuam. The reason I remember is that Derry played Kerry in the second game and they emerged victorious after extra tme.

Shamrock Shore

Ye Gads Derry Optimist. You are correct. Longford beat Down in the first round and then lost to Galway in the Last 16 of the Centenary Cup. Galway 0-14 Longford 1-07. Derry beat Kerry 2-11 to 1-13. It seems though to have been Easter Monday night!