NFL Division 2 2012

Started by Jinxy, January 28, 2012, 03:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

It's all part of the learning curve.
You've the makings of a good team though.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

everymanaman

Listening to Bernard Flynn on the radio on the way home from the game today. Anyone who knows him can they let him know that Donegal are in Division 1 of the NFL

Bill Haven

well, Westmeath v Meath was even more depressing than I had anticipated. Not least the home support or lack thereof

Maguire01

Great result for Monaghan today. Would have had Kildare as one of our tougher games, so this bodes well in terms of avoiding a drop. Monaghan never looked like losing this, despite Kildare's high tally of wides (some of which were unforgivable!). Monaghan had 2 clear chances on goal and took neither, so I don't think the winning margain flattered us one bit.

Surprising that Kildare were so wasteful though, as it seemed that they won about 80% of the kickouts. We could have done with Eoin Lennon in there today to clean up a bit more - one a few occasions Gollogly was in the mix in midfield but couldn't hold on to the ball - he's just too small to be in there.

I was impressed by Kieran Hughes today, Darren was pretty solid, as was Dessie Mone, Dick had a decent game as well. Finlay shot some brilliant points too, but it was noticable when he came out from the corner - he really is wasted in there and I hope McEnaney has noticed that now. James Turley also looking like a solid first 15 player as well.

As for the scuffle, bar one punch (Kildare #5 I think, who got the red), it was nothing more than pushing and shoving. The referee stood back and watched it unfold, taking notes rather than trying to get things under control - was a strange thing to see. I'll have to watch it back on TV tonight to see if I missed anything.

Donnellys Hollow

Kildare were absolutely abysmal. Strange team selection & substitutions, players being played out of position, lads miles off the pace, bad discipline. Early in the year but signs are not positive.

They just don't seem know what sort of game they want to play at the moment. Plan A is to kick it high on top of O'Connor, Plan B is to kick it in higher. Time for a rethink because Div3 looks on the cards.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Main Street

Yeah, I was impressed with Kieran Hughes out there, we badly need a player like him in the forward line.
Some of the Kildare wides were entertaining.
Excellent display from Finlay even he was in some strange places on the park.

In no way does this victory count as payback, Kildare were just bad without us trying too hard to make them so.

Maguire01

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 12, 2012, 07:24:06 PM
Kildare were absolutely abysmal. Strange team selection & substitutions, players being played out of position, lads miles off the pace, bad discipline. Early in the year but signs are not positive.

They just don't seem know what sort of game they want to play at the moment. Plan A is to kick it high on top of O'Connor, Plan B is to kick it in higher. Time for a rethink because Div3 looks on the cards.
Yeah, Monaghan's defence could have soaked up those high balls all evening.

Dinny Breen

It's deja vu DH, every year has been like this in February/Mar - sick of it to be honest just what some shape and some level of consistency.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 13, 2012, 11:18:50 AM

It's deja vu DH, every year has been like this in February/Mar - sick of it to be honest just what some shape and some level of consistency.

Same craic every year is right. All the usual lines about Kildare not having the necessary talent up front will be trotted out but how do we even have a chance when we play Eoghan O'Flaherty in the half-backs? Then to make matters worse we bring on a player, who is easily one of the top 10 forwards in Ireland, and we play him midfield and move Roli next to Tomás O'Connor.

How can the mangement not see it when it is glaringly obvious to everyone in the stand?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Rossfan

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 13, 2012, 11:33:57 AM
to make matters worse we bring on a player, who is easily one of the top 10 forwards in Ireland, and we play him midfield and move Roli next to Tomás O'Connor.

How can the mangement not see it when it is glaringly obvious to everyone in the stand?

McGeeney admits himself he has bad eyesight.... He says he didnt really see the melee yesterday between his lads and the Monaghan crowd. ;D ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Croí na hÉireann

Horror show in Mullingar yesterday apart from a 5 minute window in the second half that coincided with Darragh Daly's introduction. It was reminiscent of the 90s there yesterday. Stephen Bray has done some work on his left peg, might finally make the step up to top class inter county forward. Roll on the training ban.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Fear ón Srath Bán

POS    TEAM        P    W    L    D    F    A    POINTS
1    MEATH          2    2    0    0    35    17    4
2    TYRONE        2    2    0    0    38    21    4
3    GALWAY       2    1    0    1    29    25    3
4    LOUTH          2    1    0    1    23    20    3
5    MONAGHAN   2    1    1    0    29    30    2
6    KILDARE        2    0    2    0    24    34    0
7    WESTMEATH 2    0    2    0    14    29    0
8    DERRY          2    0    2    0    23    39    0
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Main Street

Quote from: Rossfan on February 13, 2012, 12:46:18 PM
to make matters worse we bring on a player, who is easily one of the top 10 forwards in Ireland, and we play him midfield and move Roli next to Tomás O'Connor.

McGeeney admits himself he has bad eyesight.... He says he didnt really see the melee yesterday between his lads and the Monaghan crowd. ;D ;D
Only the ref saw what happened and took notes.
The game was played sportingly apart from the flare up at the end of the first half.
I thought McQuillan marshalled the game well, but probably Doyle's yellow card was harsh.
Though it beats me why a couple of Kildare players have this man attraction to certain Monaghan players, pushing them to the ground and then mounting them vigourously.
I suspect that mating practices in Kildare are a thing to behold, quick to the chase so to speak, in a barbaric manner.

Jinxy

Quote from: Main Street on February 13, 2012, 02:33:41 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 13, 2012, 12:46:18 PM

Only the ref saw what happened and took notes.
The game was played sportingly apart from the flare up at the end of the first half.
I thought McQuillan marshalled the game well, but probably Doyle's yellow card was harsh.
Though it beats me why a couple of Kildare players have this man attraction to certain Monaghan players, pushing them to the ground and then mounting them vigourously.
I suspect that mating practices in Kildare are a thing to behold, quick to the chase so to speak, in a barbaric manner.

If you ever found yourself on the Curragh at night with a torch, you'd see things no man should ever see.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Maguire01

Quote from: Main Street on February 13, 2012, 02:33:41 PM
I thought Doyle was lucky enough to get a yellow.

As for the 'melee', McQuillan stood back to take notes, rather than take control of the situation. I'm in two minds as to whether than was the appropriate thing to do.