Paisley's last stand.

Started by orangeman, January 28, 2012, 11:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardal

Quote from: Evil Genius on January 28, 2012, 04:58:52 PM
Hateful bigot, whose contribution to the "Ulster" he professed to love was almost entirely destructive.

His "retirement" is 65 years too late... >:(

Sorry to quote, but just had to be able to agree with EG once in my lifetime. You did although refrain from stating that  the good Dr was an egotistical, murdering inciting self centred SOB

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

orangeman

Has anyone out there got a view as to why he appeared to mellow in recent years, why he agreed ( maybe he didn't ) to share power with nationalists and embrace Sinn Fein and Marty Mc Guinness in particular ?.

Did conscience get the better of him ?.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: orangeman on January 28, 2012, 11:24:46 PM
Has anyone out there got a view as to why he appeared to mellow in recent years, why he agreed ( maybe he didn't ) to share power with nationalists and embrace Sinn Fein and Marty Mc Guinness in particular ?.

In my opinion it was vanity on his part. For years he slated both unionists and nationalists alike. When he got his feet under the top table I think he enjoyed the power and kudos it brought so he realised he had to throw a few scraps.

ziggysego

His venom, whilst largely religious, it was in part power. He manipulated the situation for decades, he he got into a position where he could make a play for power. He didn't mellow, it was part of a long game, but one he didn't get his whole way. Catholics found a new confidence in their voice, so if he wanted power, he hash to compromise.
Testing Accessibility

Nally Stand

He set up and led his own political party. He set up and led his own Church. He set up and led his own loyal order. He insists on being called a "Dr" despite his degree being an honorary one.

He was nothing more than an egomaniac.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

ziggysego

Nothing honorary about that title Nally, he bought it.
Testing Accessibility

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ziggysego on January 29, 2012, 12:33:55 AM
I think Nally is correct and it was an honorary title from Bob Jones University but most honorary doctors dont actually use the title!

ziggysego

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 29, 2012, 12:39:40 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on January 29, 2012, 12:33:55 AM
I think Nally is correct and it was an honorary title from Bob Jones University but most honorary doctors dont actually use the title!

Really? Could have sworn I read it somewhere.
Testing Accessibility

Oraisteach

As that great evangelical preacher Elvis Presley once said:

"Lord Almighty
Feel my temperature rising."

Yes, as the Free Presbyterian bus sidles up to the gates of Hell, it's a case of "They call me Mellow Yellow."

Aerlik

Growing up in East Derry in the 70s and 80s, I have nothing but hate for that evil, evil person.  He created a terrible legacy through his vitiriolic incitment to hatred of nationalists and Catholics that is still festering (but thankfully my nephews and nieces aren't going through that awful time).

Imagine if he and war criminal Thatcher die a week apart.  There'll be some party for sure.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

orangeman

The thirst for power as some of you are alluding to, I can understand that bit - but did he abandon a lot of his dearly held principles for the sake of power ? Don't forget he was sleeping with the enemy -

Me thinks he was forced to get into bed with the enemy -

What had the governmnt on him that made him go down this road of sharing power and becoming one part of the so called Chuckle Brothers ??

Main Street

There are some similarities with George Wallace, governor of Alabama. George started out his political career as a relatively liberal southern Democrat and Judge until he got whipped by a KKK sponsored Democrat in a governorship election in the late 1950's. Overnight, George transformed himself into a rabid segragationist  and won election after election. In retirement he became born again and rediscovered his liberal friendly bubba nature.
George was a segragationist of convenience in order to achieve political ambition. In a similar way, Paisley was a bigot of convenience but in order to achieve his ambition he had to become more liberal.
Did Paisley change? not in my opinion. He was a rabid bigot of convenience in opposition in order to be a leader, he changed in order to gain political credibility. His ambition came before ideology.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 28, 2012, 11:51:10 PM

In my opinion it was vanity on his part. For years he slated both unionists and nationalists alike. When he got his feet under the top table I think he enjoyed the power and kudos it brought so he realised he had to throw a few scraps.

That's it in a nutshell. As with everything in his life it was no good unless he was top dog hence his own church and his role in the Independent Orange Order
Careful now

Maguire01

Quote from: orangeman on January 29, 2012, 10:45:58 AM
The thirst for power as som of you are alluding to, I can understand that bit - but did he abandon a lot of his dearly held principles for the sake of power ?
Most definitely, yes.

And he wasn't the only one to do so.