Sean cavanagh moans about footy

Started by Orchardman, January 26, 2012, 09:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchardman

"It's gone to the stage where everything is about power, strength, conditioning," the 2008 Footballer of the Year said.

"Gaelic football now is essentially basketball, 12 men behind the ball and a couple up front. Positions mean very little and it is more important now to be a tackler than it is to be a scorer.

"Whether that takes a bit of the beauty of the flair out of the game that inside forwards have, probably. I'm sure the GAA will maybe look at it if it is an ugly season in terms of spectator sport. The GAA will need to take a look at it and see what way they can change it.

"At least in basketball there is a shot clock. The ball has to go at some stage. In GAA, the way some teams are playing, they will hold the ball for minutes, minutes and minutes nowhere near the goal.

"It doesn't make it pretty but it's unfortunately where the sport finds itself at. The template was put out last year by the Dublins and Donegals and teams like that. Every team will copy it this year, no doubt, and it's going to be interesting to see how it will pan out."

I know this was a few days ago, just wondering about peoples thoughts on here about it. I thought it interesting the headlines it made, considering back in 2003 it was his team who were shot at with 'puke football' remarks etc.
I happen to believe that in 2005 and 2008 that tyrone team played probably the best football i've ever seen so this isn't any armagh/tyrone slagging here. But it's funny to hear him say remarks about basketball etc, as apart from donegal last year I don't believe the handpassing has got much worse since 10 years ago. His remarks about 12 men behind the ball is a farce considering the historic semi final moment in 2003 when 7 or 8 men alone gathered around one kerry player with the ball.
In terms of the committment issue, granted it was claimed that tyrone only did i collective session a week in the winter, and 2 in the summer, but still there was complaints in that era from other teams that armagh/tyrone were pushing the boundaries too far ahead. Things move on, people adapt

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Orchardman on January 26, 2012, 09:24:02 PM
"It's gone to the stage where everything is about power, strength, conditioning," the 2008 Footballer of the Year said.

"Gaelic football now is essentially basketball, 12 men behind the ball and a couple up front. Positions mean very little and it is more important now to be a tackler than it is to be a scorer.

"Whether that takes a bit of the beauty of the flair out of the game that inside forwards have, probably. I'm sure the GAA will maybe look at it if it is an ugly season in terms of spectator sport. The GAA will need to take a look at it and see what way they can change it.

"At least in basketball there is a shot clock. The ball has to go at some stage. In GAA, the way some teams are playing, they will hold the ball for minutes, minutes and minutes nowhere near the goal.

"It doesn't make it pretty but it's unfortunately where the sport finds itself at. The template was put out last year by the Dublins and Donegals and teams like that. Every team will copy it this year, no doubt, and it's going to be interesting to see how it will pan out."

I know this was a few days ago, just wondering about peoples thoughts on here about it. I thought it interesting the headlines it made, considering back in 2003 it was his team who were shot at with 'puke football' remarks etc.
I happen to believe that in 2005 and 2008 that tyrone team played probably the best football i've ever seen so this isn't any armagh/tyrone slagging here. But it's funny to hear him say remarks about basketball etc, as apart from donegal last year I don't believe the handpassing has got much worse since 10 years ago. His remarks about 12 men behind the ball is a farce considering the historic semi final moment in 2003 when 7 or 8 men alone gathered around one kerry player with the ball.In terms of the committment issue, granted it was claimed that tyrone only did i collective session a week in the winter, and 2 in the summer, but still there was complaints in that era from other teams that armagh/tyrone were pushing the boundaries too far ahead. Things move on, people adapt

The thing about that incident was it actually took place in Kerrys half of the field and came after the Kerry half forward picked the ball up on his 14 yard line. The incident was used for years to beat Tyrone with the blanket defence label. In reality Tyrone pushed up on Kerry who were sitting back and if anything Tyrone were the offensive team.

Jinxy

To be honest, while Seán is a fantastic footballer I've never really warmed to him.
Seems to be a bit of a whinger both on the field and off.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

ONeill

Quote from: Jinxy on January 26, 2012, 09:51:42 PM
To be honest, while Seán is a fantastic footballer I've never really warmed to him.
Seems to be a bit of a whinger both on the field and off.

Meath supporters are going to get some hammering with clipboards and handbags the next time we meet them for that remark.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Worker

Jinxy

Banty has a stats man with a full-sized blackboard on the line to keep track of things.
If you get a belt of that you'll know all about it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

Captain Obvious

Did anyone else read that with a Sean Cavanagh style smirk.

AZOffaly

I did. I assumed it was tongue in cheek, remembering the puke football tag etc.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: ONeill on January 26, 2012, 11:09:20 PM

Meath supporters are going to get some hammering with clipboards and handbags the next time we meet them for that remark.

Are yez gonna go nuclear and squirt them with water bottles?  :o
i usse an speelchekor

BennyHarp

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 27, 2012, 08:30:19 AM

Again the puke tag was a lazy comment by a bitter Kerry man to discredit a team that had just completely overpowered them. Im glad this was a one off and Kerry folk dont do this every time they get beat.  ;)
That was never a square ball!!

sheamy

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 27, 2012, 09:35:57 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 27, 2012, 08:30:19 AM

Again the puke tag was a lazy comment by a bitter Kerry man to discredit a team that had just completely overpowered them. Im glad this was a one off and Kerry folk dont do this every time they get beat.  ;)

or before they get beat  ;)

HiMucker

Quote from: Jinxy on January 26, 2012, 11:24:24 PM
Banty has a stats man with a full-sized blackboard on the line to keep track of things.
Surely the thing to do would be to revert to old old school.  Slate board and chalk, and noone will mess with you! :)

AZOffaly

Quote from: HiMucker on January 27, 2012, 09:38:54 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on January 26, 2012, 11:24:24 PM
Surely the thing to do would be to revert to old old school.  Slate board and chalk, and noone will mess with you! :)

And the metre stick. Don't forget the metre stick.

tbrick18

IMO Sean Cavanagh will say anything to get himself some attention.
He likes the limelight, you can see it in games too. He's greedy on the ball, is always whinging at the ref or crying his wee eyes out and generally always looking for attention.

A good footballer, but overrated to say the least.
He can hardly complain about the way the game is now going as Tyrone were instrumental in directing the game along that path.

He should just keep his mouth shut and concentrate on football.