O'Donoughue starts ranting again...

Started by neilthemac, March 16, 2007, 05:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheskin

relax lads the minister is going to back down on this one.

neilthemac

THE Minister for Sport and Tourism has insisted he could not agree to Tallaght Stadium being used for anything other than soccer despite last week's High Court decision which paved the way for a judicial review of the process.

"I could not agree to providing a regulation pitch for the simple reason that this could lead to a reduction in the capacity of the stadium," said John O'Donoghue yesterday.

Speaking on RTE radio, he said he had "promised" Shamrock Rovers it would be their home. He could not renege on his promise.

Two years ago, the local council voted for the stadium to be a multisports one, creating a home for Shamrock Rovers with a pitch suitable for Gaelic games. But the council reversed the decision when the Sports Minister said he would only grant money to a soccer-only stadium.
Quotehe said he had "promised" Shamrock Rovers it would be their home. He could not renege on his promise.

Fianna Fáil have promised a lot of things and not delivered, so Thomas Davis are looking good!

Rossfan

Quote from: neilthemac on April 09, 2007, 11:21:34 AM

"I could not agree to providing a regulation pitch for the simple reason that this could lead to a reduction in the capacity of the stadium," said John O'Donoghue yesterday.

Isnt the thing in the middle of a great big park with only the shell of one stand put up?.
What's to stop them making it as big as they wish ?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dublinfella

Quote from: Rossfan on April 09, 2007, 12:14:55 PM
Quote from: neilthemac on April 09, 2007, 11:21:34 AM

Isnt the thing in the middle of a great big park with only the shell of one stand put up?.
What's to stop them making it as big as they wish ?

1: planning permission

2: the cost of redeisigning the stadium

3: a 2,000 seater ground isnt financially viable as its too small for Rovers and the Dubs.

4: the foundations for the rest of the stadium are already in place, major job lifting them.

5: the 'shell' will have to go to make way for a gaa pitch

6: they dont want to. JO'D and Bertie are committed to this and cant be seen to back down to a jumped up bully in a local GAA club.

7: the GAA have land down the road and have been offered a similar package to do something with that that might actually benefit the GAA

Quote from: tayto on April 06, 2007, 05:08:14 PM
Didn't he pretend to be a TD member originally? More lies and propaganda. Neck like a jockeys ballix this lad, spinning and lying his hole off.

when in doubt make something up tayto.

Quote from: sheskin on April 06, 2007, 08:53:11 PM
relax lads the minister is going to back down on this one.

really, what are you basing that on? why would he not have backed down before the court case?

this thread really should be read in conjunction with the Mayo stadium thread for scale and context.

dubnut

Dublinfella you did claim to be a GAA member and NOT a Rovers fan.

Didnt you?

Fishead_Sam

Ya but Mayo County Board, Fans, Investors & Sponsers are tr-building McHale not the Government & before it was Castlebar Mitchells, the locals in the town and local sponsers that got it to the size its at already.

McHale Park aready has 3-4 full backpitches, a large carpark, and a big sportshall and a bar already, thats GAA-Economics for ya, we make the pennys/cents go a long long way.

dublinfella

Quote from: dubnut on April 09, 2007, 05:02:08 PM

Didnt you?

I am a member of the GAA. Its a tad childish that a dissenting voice has to defend himself like this.

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on April 09, 2007, 05:07:25 PM
Ya but Mayo County Board, Fans, Investors & Sponsers are tr-building McHale not the Government & before it was Castlebar Mitchells, the locals in the town and local sponsers that got it to the size its at already.

McHale Park aready has 3-4 full backpitches, a large carpark, and a big sportshall and a bar already, thats GAA-Economics for ya, we make the pennys/cents go a long long way.

According to the other thread there will be Govt involvement in the funding. But i think the substantive point is that the GAA in Castlebar had the freedom to build a facility without ouside influences like the courts and other sporting bodies dictating things. They drew up a plan and got funding. Something Thomas Davis have failed to do, they waited for another sport to get going and then tried to piggyback in unwanted and for free.

But we have a bizarre situation where people are saying the association are building unsuitable stadia while trying to force our way into a stadium thats unsuitable. The association seems to have lost its way in terms of the bigger picture on infrastructure since CP was finished.

Rossfan

Quote from: dublinfella on April 09, 2007, 06:12:27 PM
[ the GAA in Castlebar had the freedom to build a facility without ouside influences like the courts and other sporting bodies dictating things. .

The big difference is - 1 -the GAA OWN McHale Park
                                2 - they are improving what they built there already
                               3 -they are getting percentage grants TOWARDS the overall cost(like all other sports facilities except ONE)
                               4 -it is NOT Mayo Co Council building a County Stadium which if they did should be for all the people of Mayo.
Meanwhile in Tallaght Shiterock Beggars want a free public facility built for them because they couldnt raise the funds to build it themselves on the free site they were given.
The GAA rightly want the County Stadium to be able to host their games too and the High Court has said they have a point.
As for Cumann Thomáis Dáibheis - I'm sure the club are behind the action as unlike Soccer -GAA clubs are organised bodies and one man cant run off taking Court cases on his own.

Fishead_Sam

Too right Rossfan, do you remember when Galway Uniteds Terryland could not facilitate soccer for European football, it was the GAA out in Connemarra that had to bail them out, this was back in the early 1990's when they where playing a Dutch side, it seems to be all give by the GAA and none by the soccer.

Rossfan

Quote from: Fishead_Sam on April 09, 2007, 09:08:34 PM
, it seems to be all give by the GAA and none by the soccer.

The day soccer has something to give to the GAA will be some day.
All that lot have is the hand out all the time >:(

continuity tug

i will give thomas davis gac 110% support
they should go further and say that this stadium should be for gaa only
keep westbrit dole rovers out of tallaght

behind the wire

look dublinfella, you are fighting a loosing argument, anyone in their right mind would automatically know that what the minister is doing doesnt appear to be fair at all and that thomas davis are right to try and mount a challenge. i dont see how you can try to defend rovers here.

as for mchale park, whats wrong with mayo getting a grant here - it will be in proportion with all the other sporting organisations. the money will be used constructively t improve facilities, i would doubt if the mayo county board come back in a couple of years time wanting to know if the government would do the improvements for them because they couldnt really be bothered to raise the money needed.

by the way dublinfella, im looking to build a house. was thinking of applying for a grant. could you or one of the other shamrock rovers boys give me some advice on how to go about seeking one - yous boys seem to know the ins and outs of it all. maybe you could persuade the minister to drop me a few quid for my much needed facility.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

dubnut

Quote from: dublinfella on April 09, 2007, 06:12:27 PM
Quote from: dubnut on April 09, 2007, 05:02:08 PM

Didnt you?

I am a member of the GAA. Its a tad childish that a dissenting voice has to defend himself like this.

Defending myself??? From what??

You never answered about claiming not to be a Rovers fans by the way  ;)

Bogball XV

Anyone know where someone could get a copy of the architects report as commissioned by TD?

dublinfella

Quote from: Bogball XV on April 27, 2007, 09:09:09 PM
Anyone know where someone could get a copy of the architects report as commissioned by TD?

They arent sharing it. Not with the council or the courts.

They havent mentioned it in a while.

Its a legitimate question as to whether it exists.