Changing jobs?

Started by lawnseed, January 25, 2012, 07:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

Quote from: WaterBoy on January 29, 2012, 05:50:21 PM
Quote from: lawnseed on January 28, 2012, 08:58:43 PM
Quote from: gerrykeegan on January 28, 2012, 05:51:44 PM
Goodman Lawnseed, I sat in an exam hall this morning for the first time in about 15 years, I'm 44, I decided I would like a change of direction so I am back in college. Funny enough there was  a man in the exam hall that looked like he was in his late 50's
thats what i'm hoping to do gerry, train up a bit and see what happens. alot of the jobs that are on offer now didnt even exist when i was at college and alot of what i did learn is obselete so i actually need to refresh.. learn something a little more relevant. ffs at our secondary school we only had one computer and i never got to use it the teacher used to turn it off and on and wait alot everything was on floppys. :-[

Lawnseed, if you don't mind me asking, what line of work are you in at the minute?  Have you an idea of what kind of job you would like to get into?
thinking of electrical engineering.. renewables something like that. i was speaking to a lad who sells wind turbines he has confirmed orders for 1200 :o and nobody in the country to work at them or fit them. theres not alot to it but you need to be qualified
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

southdown

Im working in the legal sector in England.  Im keen to move home to NI but the legal sector in NI is completely dead, no jobs at all.  Considering training in a new field but have no idea what I could train in.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lawnseed on January 30, 2012, 09:08:39 AM
Goodman Lawnseed, I sat in an exam hall this morning for the first time in about 15 years, I'm 44, I decided I would like a change of direction so I am back in college. Funny enough there was  a man in the exam hall that looked like he was in his late 50's
thats what i'm hoping to do gerry, train up a bit and see what happens. alot of the jobs that are on offer now didnt even exist when i was at college and alot of what i did learn is obselete so i actually need to refresh.. learn something a little more relevant. ffs at our secondary school we only had one computer and i never got to use it the teacher used to turn it off and on and wait alot everything was on floppys. :-[

Lawnseed, if you don't mind me asking, what line of work are you in at the minute?  Have you an idea of what kind of job you would like to get into?
thinking of electrical engineering.. renewables something like that. i was speaking to a lad who sells wind turbines he has confirmed orders for 1200 :o and nobody in the country to work at them or fit them. theres not alot to it but you need to be qualified

The Ship Yard is currently making them, they are busy enough with them at the minute. Engineering industry is doing well at the minute and electrical engineering is doing ok. Wouldn't be much work in wiring up those turbines, maintenance engineering is an area that's doing better due to firms ensuring their machines are working well instead of buying new ones.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lawnseed

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 30, 2012, 09:55:12 AM

The Ship Yard is currently making them, they are busy enough with them at the minute. Engineering industry is doing well at the minute and electrical engineering is doing ok. Wouldn't be much work in wiring up those turbines, maintenance engineering is an area that's doing better due to firms ensuring their machines are working well instead of buying new ones.
i think if the arabs continue sabre rattling the cost of fuel is going to rocket (even more ::)) i've a feeling there are going to be alot more renewables coming into to play. it seems logical that it is going to be very big..
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

CiKe

Quote from: lawnseed on January 30, 2012, 09:22:25 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 30, 2012, 09:55:12 AM

i think if the arabs continue sabre rattling the cost of fuel is going to rocket (even more ::)) i've a feeling there are going to be alot more renewables coming into to play. it seems logical that it is going to be very big..

Sorry to be the stickler, but presumably you are referring to the Iranians - who are not Arabs. Have to agree with you though, if anything actually were to happen you'd probably see a 20% rise in oil prices overnight. They might be discovering more and more oil and improving technology to get at previously located but unfeasible reserves but renewables growth could be exponential.

Ulick

Jacked the job in today. 12 years with same company but feckit there's more to life than spending every hour of the day working and with a bunch of bluffers and pricks to boot. I'll miss the cash but nothing else about the place. 

AZOffaly

I can just imagine some of the responses to this news Ulick, I'm sure you can too :D Anyway, best of luck to you, have you anything else lined up? I think you are right. If you are not happy, there's a lot to be said for jacking it in, especially if you find you can't leave it at the door when you go home.

Ulick

Cheers AZ, had a few other offers for a lot less money but it eventually came to a choice of spending time with my family and doing without extra cash or working in a job I hate and having it comfortable. Luckily I've a good woman behind me which made the pick an easy one.

oisinog

Quote from: Ulick on October 26, 2012, 02:57:22 PM
Cheers AZ, had a few other offers for a lot less money but it eventually came to a choice of spending time with my family and doing without extra cash or working in a job I hate and having it comfortable. Luckily I've a good woman behind me which made the pick an easy one.

Brave decision I have to consider my situation when the wife returns from maternity leave

Rois

A friend of mine did the same - she's still working her notice at the minute.  She keeps waiting for the panic to set in but it hasn't, seems to suggest that she's made the right decision.  Now i might get to see a bit more of her at weekends!

Good look on the hunt for a new direction Ulick.  I imagine it is a bit exciting as well as slightly scary!

supersarsfields

What industry was it in Ulick?

Billys Boots

Best of luck Ulick, you're doing the right thing if you're not happy there.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

gerrykeegan

Quote from: Ulick on October 26, 2012, 02:57:22 PM

Good luck with the move. I used to work mad hours, people said " no one will thank you for it" well you know what, no one did and the f**kers shafted me in the end. In the job I'm in now, I lock up, work finishes at 4.00, if you are here at 4.01 then you are here for the night. Home with the wife and kids by 4.18!
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

orangeman

Quote from: Ulick on October 26, 2012, 02:52:29 PM
Jacked the job in today. 12 years with same company but feckit there's more to life than spending every hour of the day working and with a bunch of bluffers and pricks to boot. I'll miss the cash but nothing else about the place.

Fair play.

Life's too short to have to put up with that.

Best of luck.

No Soloing

Ulick - Good Luck!

I jacked in my job when my wife went back to work after maternity leave for our second kid. Our eldest was in a day care nursery so it was either pay a fortune to send them both there or pay a stranger to look after them - we have no family nearby to rely on.  Work was doing my head in anyway and I was being sent all round the country for days & weeks on end. That was over five years ago. I havent looked back. It was the best decision I ever made. My wife is a teacher so we get use of the long holidays and she is finished relatively early each day so family life couldnt be better. Being there while the kids are young is much more important than sitting behind a desk waiting for one of your 20 days off.

I do some work from time to time and I am finishing off a Master through the Open Uni. In fact, I should be starting a website but Im on here instead.