Outside interference in Gaelic Games

Started by Lone Shark, January 23, 2012, 05:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

One of the things I remembered from the debates about pitch invasions was that there certain schools of sentiment that went something like:
- We've as much right to be on the field as the anyone else, we've paid for our ticket/contributed to the ground building.
- It's only right that we be allowed be celebrate with the players, sure we're from the same club/school as them. Sure they're one of us.

Which on one level is fine, we don't want to disconnect players from their communities, like in professional soccer.
But it also leaves the doors open to a potentially dangerous lack of demarcation between the public and both the participants and the arena. Any whiff that the non-participant feels they have some sort of influence, or are part of the occasion has its risks.

Personally I feel the playing area and players should be sacrosanct.
In golf it wouldn't be tolerated for a caddy or spectator to run onto the green to kick a ball 5 feet closer to the hole.
In boxing it wouldn't be acceptable for the coaches in the corner to reach in and throw a punch whenever the opponent comes into range.

The same principles should apply in gaelic games. Subs, managers, hangers on and fans have absolutely zero right to exercise any sort of impact or influence on the contest going on between the white lines. It should be seen as a complete no-no. The best way to stamp it out is to punish severely and (most importantly) consistently.

fearglasmor

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on January 24, 2012, 10:03:52 AM
One of the things I remembered from the debates about pitch invasions was that there certain schools of sentiment that went something like:
- We've as much right to be on the field as the anyone else, we've paid for our ticket/contributed to the ground building.
- It's only right that we be allowed be celebrate with the players, sure we're from the same club/school as them. Sure they're one of us.

Which on one level is fine, we don't want to disconnect players from their communities, like in professional soccer.
But it also leaves the doors open to a potentially dangerous lack of demarcation between the public and both the participants and the arena. Any whiff that the non-participant feels they have some sort of influence, or are part of the occasion has its risks.

Personally I feel the playing area and players should be sacrosanct.
In golf it wouldn't be tolerated for a caddy or spectator to run onto the green to kick a ball 5 feet closer to the hole.
In boxing it wouldn't be acceptable for the coaches in the corner to reach in and throw a punch whenever the opponent comes into range.

The same principles should apply in gaelic games. Subs, managers, hangers on and fans have absolutely zero right to exercise any sort of impact or influence on the contest going on between the white lines. It should be seen as a complete no-no. The best way to stamp it out is to punish severely and (most importantly) consistently.

Strange that the thing that makes the GAA so strong is also its biggest weakness in incidents like this. It is the parochial nature of Gaelic Games that make it so attractive, the feeling among supporters that  they really are part of the team and feel that right you described to be involved on the field. I think we've all experienced that. When things are going well its great. But when things turn sour that belief among non players that they have a right to be involved becomes a huge problem and dangerous.

And while lots of people are having a go at Tyrone, remember Wicklow, Louth (twice) and Iv'e been involved in a couple of club games in Dublin that turned nasty.

Denn Forever

Quote- We've as much right to be on the field as the anyone else, we've paid for our ticket/contributed to the ground building.

I don't know what its like in other counties, but are not most football grounds surrounded by a wire fence? So if you are on the pitch and not a member of a team or officials you shouldn't be there

Better policing of the people allowed on the field and if some one transgresses violently, the whole team is punished.

But thinking about things and especially the bit in bold above, I would hope that the typical half time entertainment of young lads catching, kicking points and goals won't be stopped.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ballymac

We need to stop scenes like those witnessed on Sunday. The media are having a field day (excuse the pun) on this and it does not help clubs attract and maintain membership. Derrytresk are a small proud club who have created a great buzz around their club and the area. There was a positive vibe around the game and their achievement, but the scenes on Sunday have tainted things and gave those against the GAA ammo to fire.

What happened has happened, it is how it is dealt with. I don't hold out much hope for Derrytresk getting put out of the competition, or a replay being arranged or indeed to many suspensions being handed out. What I would like to see in the very near future is the CCC or whoever having the power to punish these things properly.
If clubs know that if subs, mentors or spectators get involved in a pitch invasion during a game then sanctions should be in place. These could include bans for individual players, replays being arranged or even loss of game/ loss of points plus fines.
There needs to be clarity in the rules and no solicitor should be able to overturn decisions and clubs need to accept reponsibility for their players and members actions. I know this is never going to happen in todays blame everyone else society, but we withiin the GAA need to create a better ethos.
There is video evidence, refs report and I am sure that there were other officals at the game that could report back to give a committe enough information to make a decision.

Jinxy

Quote from: ballymac on January 24, 2012, 11:20:03 AM
We need to stop scenes like those witnessed on Sunday. The media are having a field day (excuse the pun) on this and it does not help clubs attract and maintain membership. Derrytresk are a small proud club who have created a great buzz around their club and the area. There was a positive vibe around the game and their achievement, but the scenes on Sunday have tainted things and gave those against the GAA ammo to fire.

What happened has happened, it is how it is dealt with. I don't hold out much hope for Derrytresk getting put out of the competition, or a replay being arranged or indeed to many suspensions being handed out. What I would like to see in the very near future is the CCC or whoever having the power to punish these things properly.
If clubs know that if subs, mentors or spectators get involved in a pitch invasion during a game then sanctions should be in place. These could include bans for individual players, replays being arranged or even loss of game/ loss of points plus fines.
There needs to be clarity in the rules and no solicitor should be able to overturn decisions and clubs need to accept reponsibility for their players and members actions. I know this is never going to happen in todays blame everyone else society, but we withiin the GAA need to create a better ethos.
There is video evidence, refs report and I am sure that there were other officals at the game that could report back to give a committe enough information to make a decision.

By 'we' do you mean Tyrone folk or all of us (regular folk included)?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mannix

At least the other finalist and gardai and camera people will be ready for them in the final. Should be fun.

Jinxy

The final will be shown live on RTE.  :P
If you were any use you'd be playing.

RadioGAAGAA

The first time it happens - suspended sentence for 3 years.

The second time it happens - they are chucked out of the championship they are in (during the second incident) for 2 years. If it is a league game, they also forfeit the 2 points.
i usse an speelchekor

jeepers

Quote from: ballymac on January 24, 2012, 11:20:03 AM

Good sensible post

ballymac

Hi Jinxy, it is ok to support your club and your county even on occassion your province, but in this instance 'we' all need to work together on this. This is not just happening in Tyrone. 'We' all need to confront this problem and lobby the powers that be to take action before there is a far more serious consequence of a pitch invasion.

sheamy

Quote from: ballymac on January 25, 2012, 03:06:19 PM
Hi Jinxy, it is ok to support your club and your county even on occassion your province, but in this instance 'we' all need to work together on this. This is not just happening in Tyrone. 'We' all need to confront this problem and lobby the powers that be to take action before there is a far more serious consequence of a pitch invasion.

Good point. Happens when they travel outside the county too.

ballymac

A Derry man twisting words, thats a new one on me  :D

I see that you need to be very careful how things are worded on this forum.