Kildare-Dublin: FOOTBALL talk

Started by SC1Sports.com, January 22, 2012, 10:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SC1Sports.com

Leaving the off-the-ball antics to one side, I thought the game today was extremely interesting.

Dublin look out of shape and, fringe players or not, were playing too many aimless balls to the forward line and couldn't keep pace with Kildare attacks. If Kildare's shooting was so poor (they miscued 14 of their 26 shots), Dublin would've been sent packing with their tails between their legs and the entire country would be raving about them.

It's still January, but I reckon the Leinster Championship will be even more intriguing this year

INDIANA

Quote from: SC1Sports.com on January 22, 2012, 10:21:19 PM
Leaving the off-the-ball antics to one side, I thought the game today was extremely interesting.

Dublin look out of shape and, fringe players or not, were playing too many aimless balls to the forward line and couldn't keep pace with Kildare attacks. If Kildare's shooting was so poor (they miscued 14 of their 26 shots), Dublin would've been sent packing with their tails between their legs and the entire country would be raving about them.

It's still January, but I reckon the Leinster Championship will be even more intriguing this year

you can have your leinster championship. there is only one trophy we want.

SC1Sports.com

Well, watching the game as a Derry man, I couldn't help but notice that one team I have no affiliation towards was seems miles ahead in preparation of another team i have no affiliation towards.

But still 9 months to go so I'll try not to get ahead!

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: SC1Sports.com on January 22, 2012, 10:30:28 PM
Well, watching the game as a Derry man, I couldn't help but notice that one team I have no affiliation towards was seems miles ahead in preparation of another team i have no affiliation towards.

But still 9 months to go so I'll try not to get ahead!

They were obviously working there balls off over the xmas and the previous weeks............................fair play to them they won today and are a quality team but jesus its a long road ahead..............cple of dublin lads playing for dcu this weekend, throw your eye on that one

Have a look at Dublins starting 15 last year too will ya ...................how are the bradleys getting on ???

Jinxy

Quote from: INDIANA on January 22, 2012, 10:27:19 PM
Quote from: SC1Sports.com on January 22, 2012, 10:21:19 PM

you can have your leinster championship. there is only one trophy we want.

Can we have it?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

SC1Sports.com

Have a look at everyone's starting 15 at this time of year...

That's why we analysed team performances today http://bit.ly/A29iTw - how the team was set up, their tactics, conditioning etc because everyone is in the same boat this time of year

But some have come out of the blocks much quicker... (Don't know if that's a good thing)

Paddy Bradley getting on great - played his first full match (his second appearance) since April there v Down - scored 3. Eoin targeting a National League return at some stage. Warriors

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: SC1Sports.com on January 23, 2012, 01:45:14 AM
Have a look at everyone's starting 15 at this time of year...

That's why we analysed team performances today http://bit.ly/A29iTw - how the team was set up, their tactics, conditioning etc because everyone is in the same boat this time of year

But some have come out of the blocks much quicker... (Don't know if that's a good thing)

Paddy Bradley getting on great - played his first full match (his second appearance) since April there v Down - scored 3. Eoin targeting a National League return at some stage. Warriors

I think not, alot of our lads are sporting a similar look to fermanaghs 25  ;)

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

SC1Sports.com

haha fair point and it was obvious that Dublin were enjoying their Christmas (and rightly so)

I just meant from a team selection point of view

Kildare's squad definitely looking strong

Man of Kent

Stupid question. Was this match a "friendly"? ???

Ohtoohtobe

Quote from: Man of Kent on January 23, 2012, 09:48:09 PM
Stupid question. Was this match a "friendly"? ???

It was the semi-final of the O'Byrne Cup Man of Kent, which is basically a pre-season warm-up competition for counties and colleges in Leinster. So not too much importance is attached to the results, it is more interesting from the point of view of assessing the form of individual players, particularly fringe players getting an opportunity to gain some experience.

Good choice of county to support by the way!

Keane

How many players were Dublin missing from what would be considered a first choice side?

How close was it to Dublin's strongest "second-string" team as well? Or were there a lot of players that would fall between the two missing as well?

squire_in_navy_slacks

Quote from: Keane on January 25, 2012, 12:40:57 PM
How many players were Dublin missing from what would be considered a first choice side?

How close was it to Dublin's strongest "second-string" team as well? Or were there a lot of players that would fall between the two missing as well?

On the day, unavailable were.............................Cluxton, Nolan, OCarroll, Cahill, A Brogan, B Brogan (who just arrived back in dub the weekend) Bastick,

Cup tied DCU ...........Flynn, Mc Mahon, Mc Carthy ( 2 STARTED THE ALL IRELAND / 1 CAME ON AS A SUB)

Of the team that started against Kildare, it contained 5 of last years starting all ireland team ............Fitzsimons, Brennan, OSullivan, McCauley, Cullen

Keane

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on January 25, 2012, 12:57:44 PM
Quote from: Keane on January 25, 2012, 12:40:57 PM

On the day, unavailable were.............................Cluxton, Nolan, OCarroll, Cahill, A Brogan, B Brogan (who just arrived back in dub the weekend) Bastick,

Cup tied DCU ...........Flynn, Mc Mahon, Mc Carthy ( 2 STARTED THE ALL IRELAND / 1 CAME ON AS A SUB)

Of the team that started against Kildare, it contained 5 of last years starting all ireland team ............Fitzsimons, Brennan, OSullivan, McCauley, Cullen

Cool, ty.

Looks to me a touch like the difference in strength of the lineups is being overstated a touch.

IMO Dublin lack a bit of depth, the first fifteen is obv excellent, but beneath that it's a bit thin.

Ohtoohtobe

For the record, Kildare started with seven lads who started in last Championship match against Donegal, so both teams well understrength.