Quest for Fitness

Started by Oak Leafer, January 22, 2012, 05:55:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

windyshepardhenderson

Sit ups, pull ups and press ups. Loads of them. Do a good stretch when ye get outta bed. personal trainer my hole.
lavey's finest

mannix

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on January 23, 2012, 04:06:23 PM
Quote from: mannix on January 23, 2012, 04:02:53 PM
Radda, are you weight training? Why all the protein?

Doing some weight training but not really looking to put on weight just tone what i have or even drop a few pounds. I thought taking protein would help - I haven't a clue if i'm honest - all info greatly appreciated.
Not an expert as I said but from talking to fellas that do it for a living using compound exercises is the best thing to lose weight and tone up what you already have. Your man before me is right, pushups, pull ups are great but don't work the biggest muscles in your body, your legs. 
Google compound exercises and be careful not to hurt your back when doing them. Then cut back on processed foods and sugary stuff too, the protein shake should be taken after the weight lifting. Eat plenty but it must be the right stuff, that's why I said a nutritionist would be worth a visit  or else search it out online. Either way it's better than a beer belly and not being able to run a mile.

mc_grens

He's right, compound exercises are best- squat thrusts, and squats with a bar or dumbells are good for exercising the legs. Dumbells reduce your stability and force you to use smaller, additional muscle groups to keep yourself stable.

Try to not always use machine weights too, as because they are on fixed tracks they work very specific muscle groups- usually just the big ones- without helping the smaller muscles we use for stabilising those bigger groups.

I'm only a little ways in to strength training after doing loads of cardio for a few months before Christmas, but I've gotten decent advice. I don't want to lose much more weight, so now I've switched to more weights training than cardio.

NP 76

Just a question if someone can help me just had a hernia done yesterday and was wondering how long before i would have to wait before getting back doing a bit . Before this i was not doing anything mad just trying to lose some weight and keep healthy . Was doing 12 miles on the bike 3 days a week and walking 3 another 2 days in the week . If i kept this up would i lose weight have cut down on the grub and took into the water . Wouldnt of trained at all from stopped playing football 10 years ago . Any help would be appreciated