Author Topic: Antrim Football Thread  (Read 3969185 times)

country bumpkin

• View Profile
Re: Antrim Football Thread
« Reply #25935 on: May 13, 2022, 12:06:04 PM »
Our hurlers don't seem to have a problem in their participation in a 'secondary competition'....?

Saffsof82

• View Profile
« Reply #25936 on: May 13, 2022, 12:29:54 PM »
First major issue with the Tailltean Cup is the timing. Far too long a break from going out of the championship until matches start.

BrendanAntrim

• View Profile
« Reply #25937 on: May 13, 2022, 12:50:04 PM »
We won the TMC in 2008, did it help with the successful 2009 / 2010 season? It certainly didn't hinder the subsequent progress. The final in '08 was a great day, kids loved it, it was part of a triple bill of qualifiers (even if our game had a ridiculously early start) and it is clear to see that it meant something to players and management.

But yeah, the GAA have made a mess of this year's inaugural Tailteann Cup. Regionalised draw is stupid and unnecessary while Larry has parachuted NY straight into the quarter finals. Next year will probably be the real test, group stages etc.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 12:55:05 PM by BrendanAntrim »

Milltown Row2

• Catch yourself on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25938 on: May 13, 2022, 01:03:26 PM »
Our hurlers don't seem to have a problem in their participation in a 'secondary competition'....?

Because the carrot is a winnable competition and back playing the Liam McCarthy cup..

This set up (when first mooted) didn't qualify you in playing for Sam if you won the thing, now they have changed their tune, the bonus is slightly better, the likelyhood of our lads based on previous performance is we'd have to beat Cavan to get out of the north section, million miles away from that
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #25939 on: May 13, 2022, 05:22:51 PM »
I think the draw is set for Monday. Are management and players going to wait to see who we get before they decide (individually or collectively) whether or not they "fancy" it?

Saffsof82

• View Profile
« Reply #25940 on: May 13, 2022, 11:03:30 PM »
A lot of the u20s asked up to senior training tonight. While Iím delighted to see, itís a shame itís only the result of a few established players dropping out.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #25941 on: May 13, 2022, 11:56:23 PM »
Management have a responsibility to get the counties best players out playing and performing on match day to an acceptable level. That's their sole purpose, and that's how they will be judged. Every county will lose a few here and there, we won't be the only ones in that boat.

Doors open and doors close, but the show must go on!

ONeill

• Shoving Connie Around The Room
    • View Profile
« Reply #25942 on: May 14, 2022, 12:04:29 AM »
A lot of the u20s asked up to senior training tonight. While Iím delighted to see, itís a shame itís only the result of a few established players dropping out.

You'll find that in most counties, no matter the competition.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #25943 on: May 14, 2022, 08:27:51 AM »

Do we know for sure what players are dropping out?

country bumpkin

• View Profile
« Reply #25944 on: May 14, 2022, 08:50:46 AM »
A few players may well for some reason or another may well be unable to commit but the 'Show does remain on the road..'.....trained last evening again in Dunsilly.

Hear the comments on entry back to Liam Mc Carthy is a possibility for our hurlers if the can travel the Mc Donagh road.
Good stuff, but are they any closer to an Ireland title than our footballers......only asking.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #25945 on: May 14, 2022, 09:38:32 AM »
The list so far PJ, subject to correction, is.....

Oisin, Ricky, Luke,
Marty, Eunan, Jamie Mc Cann, Boyle, Heery,
and we await confirmation on the Cargin three, were they at Dunsilly last night or not?

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #25946 on: May 14, 2022, 09:54:10 AM »
Saffs, the more I think of it, the more outstandingly appalling it is that CK was parachuted in ahead of young Heery who is a terrific prospect. SK has responsibility for the defence, so i can only assume this is his call.

This bringing in under 20s is a bit of a joke though. I just don't get it. For sure there is a small handful who could go in and make things competitive, but can anyone tell me how a promising 18 or 19 year olds development would at this minute in time be ahead of a promising 20/21/22/23 year old who is a bit further down the road!

Or...if the plan is to unearth some youth why go for Kerr ahead of Heery? It just dosent add up!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 09:55:47 AM by bannside »

Milltown Row2

• Catch yourself on!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25947 on: May 14, 2022, 10:54:52 AM »
A few players may well for some reason or another may well be unable to commit but the 'Show does remain on the road..'.....trained last evening again in Dunsilly.

Hear the comments on entry back to Liam Mc Carthy is a possibility for our hurlers if the can travel the Mc Donagh road.
Good stuff, but are they any closer to an Ireland title than our footballers......only asking.

No theyíll never get to that standard and neither will the football team. So should just knock it on headÖ

Wiser eating grass
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

EOC1923

• View Profile
« Reply #25948 on: May 14, 2022, 01:28:19 PM »
The list so far PJ, subject to correction, is.....

Oisin, Ricky, Luke,
Marty, Eunan, Jamie Mc Cann, Boyle, Heery,
and we await confirmation on the Cargin three, were they at Dunsilly last night or not?
Plenty of room for the Portglenone men who opted out before the season even started to come back Bannside. You werenít as critical of them, interesting.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #25949 on: May 14, 2022, 02:12:22 PM »
Players can make their own call regarding how they assess their reward versus endeavour balance - in other words - is it worth it!

A rookie at 19 or 20 may stick it out a bit longer than a Marty Johnston for example who gets little game time, or a Eunan Walsh might just say feck it, I'm wasting my time here.

A manager being honest with you and not filling your head full of sweetie mice might also be helpful.

Now EOC, that's a million miles different from the yardage that the Cargin Trio have got since the minute Enda walked in the door. As I say, Is expect them to be lining out - loyalty works two ways. And I trust you have the capacity to discern between the two completely different set of circumstances.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 02:30:14 PM by bannside »