Author Topic: Antrim Football Thread  (Read 2680881 times)

country bumpkin

• View Profile
Re: Antrim Football Thread
« Reply #11490 on: December 17, 2015, 06:57:14 PM »
Great news on the Dunsilly project.......in time to host county finals 2016?

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #11491 on: December 17, 2015, 07:12:02 PM »
Great news on the Dunsilly project.......in time to host county finals 2016?
Possibly. If not, 2017...18....19....20.....(and so on) finals.

delgany

• View Profile
« Reply #11492 on: December 17, 2015, 08:51:27 PM »
First  idea from  S V   :  start  div 1 and 2  in February !    2nd idea  reform Cccc by not agreeing a chair  and secretary.  The ghost of the  wee man ? 

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #11493 on: December 17, 2015, 09:01:52 PM »
1st one - I don't think this was solely SV's idea. Other candidates had suggested similar before convention. Good thing for dual clubs IMO as it will help alleviate fixture congestion when the hurling season begins.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11494 on: December 17, 2015, 09:09:54 PM »
1st one - I don't think this was solely SV's idea. Other candidates had suggested similar before convention. Good thing for dual clubs IMO as it will help alleviate fixture congestion when the hurling season begins.

That may be the case HS but never implemented
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #11495 on: December 17, 2015, 09:11:55 PM »

That may be the case HS but never implemented
No, sorry, I mean during the 'canvassing'. ie It was likely to have happened had SV failed to get in.

themac_23

• View Profile
« Reply #11496 on: December 17, 2015, 10:03:08 PM »
starting the leagues early was a must, maybe 1st week in feb is too early though? Hopefully this allows leagues to be wrapped up before first round of championship?

JimStynes

• View Profile
« Reply #11497 on: December 17, 2015, 10:24:13 PM »
First week of Feb  :o  Some teams will only be starting their training in Feb!

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #11498 on: December 17, 2015, 10:30:04 PM »
Start now then. ;D

Nah, to be fair, it is short notice but the positions were only elected last week so it's not as if they've been putting it on the long finger.

Other thing is, all clubs are in the same boat.

JimStynes

• View Profile
« Reply #11499 on: December 17, 2015, 10:58:24 PM »
It will mean teams starting their pre season at the start of December from now on. Start of March is more realistic.

themac_23

• View Profile
« Reply #11500 on: December 18, 2015, 10:50:44 AM »
It will mean teams starting their pre season at the start of December from now on. Start of March is more realistic.

How long does a good pre season last? some teams seem to overdo it, surely 4-5 weeks is plenty especially as most players do their own gym work etc over the winter.

Peileadoir

• View Profile
« Reply #11501 on: December 18, 2015, 12:04:49 PM »
I agree that the leagues need to start earlier but not 8 weeks earlier. There are 4 additional games this year not 14 extra games. Most clubs pitches are still closed in early February and if the leagues start early February they will become disjointed and stop-start. This appears to be a knee jerk reaction to having an additional 4 games to fit in for each club. Last year the leagues started on 8th April. If they started the leagues on 6th or 13th March they would still be able to get 3 or 4 games in by the start of April and still be ahead of where they were last year. Common Sense.

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #11502 on: December 18, 2015, 12:09:07 PM »
I don't think it's a knee jerk reaction to having 4 extra games. Chances are there will actually be 2 less league games this year. It is more a reaction to requests from dual clubs to help with their busy fixture schedule IMO.

themac_23

• View Profile
« Reply #11503 on: December 18, 2015, 01:11:32 PM »
I don't think it's a knee jerk reaction to having 4 extra games. Chances are there will actually be 2 less league games this year. It is more a reaction to requests from dual clubs to help with their busy fixture schedule IMO.
+1 one of the main issues being for example a football league fixture the wed before a hurling championship game etc, clubs need more breathing space. This gives it

culchie11

• View Profile
« Reply #11504 on: December 18, 2015, 01:30:24 PM »
stupid idea if u ask me!
wouldnt happen on wee joes watch, in fact it didnt happen as he turned this proposal down numerous times from the st aggies man who tried to propose it, who is now on board the cc and will put his mad plans in place!

will clubs be happy to play without their county players also?!

who will support our county teams if club games r fixed for same days, times, etc.

no mid week games is the cause of starting this early, the idea is to play games friday and sundays. can of worms.
makes absolutely no sense at all & doesnt take juvenile divisional board fixtures into consider at all, but sure let he tear at it, good luck to them when they have to refix alot of games and dont end up with leagues completed on time.

leave it as it was, a tweak here or there would be suffice. the county managers hadnt even been consulted about it, so needless to say they will have their say on it.

hopefully it gets sorted shortly!!