Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

country bumpkin

Cargin will be back again next year, I have no doubt about that.................and on the championship trail again with a whisper about that they will be gaining a new high profile player in 2015............. in the meantime they still have the league to win to complete another 'disappointing season' ??

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: country bumpkin on October 24, 2014, 01:22:23 PM
Cargin will be back again next year, I have no doubt about that.................and on the championship trail again with a whisper about that they will be gaining a new high profile player in 2015............. in the meantime they still have the league to win to complete another 'disappointing season' ??

:o is this in the January transfer window?

if we gain a new player in dunloy its from our minors, the way it should be.

cargin getting to the final again next year isn't good enough, they need to be going that bit further. whatever they are doing at the moment isn't working, it needs to change or st galls will be 9 in a row at this rate.
hurl like f**k boi!

bannside

Under - 21 competition starts again today. 24 teams have entered, although we were told last night that Sarsfields are not travelling to play us, so we get a bye. The winners of todays matches go into the A section, and the losers go into the B grade competition.

We rode our luck last year coming from well behind in all our games to snatch a rare title, and thoroughly enjoyed the mantle of county champions. We should be strong enough again, but lots of clubs will have an eye on this competition this year, so it should be interesting.

On the basis that Frank Fitzsimons played 7 Lamh Dhearg players on this year groups county minor team of 2011 (we beat Donegal that year too) he will have to shoulder the responsibility of favouritism in my book. St Johns could vie with them for that position on the grounds of their multiple county minor leagues and championships in recent years.

As we have no game today, I plan to nip over to Creggan and see if they can put it up to the Johnnies.

Let the fun begin......

bannside

After what I watched today St Johns will be the team to beat in this years u-21 championship. Strong and powerful in all the right positiions. they have a winning pedigree, and formula all over the pitch.  Paddy Hannigans team have obviously kicked on since their minor days and the same fluency is prevalent throughout as seen in their build up play, support play and total unselfishness.

From a county perspective, there are more than a few who could kick on, Matt Fitzpatrick being an outstanding prospect - as good as anything I have seen at that age for quite a while. Michael Johnstons two boys, sometimes better known as hurlers, are both outstanding and just personally I liked Jack Hannigan, and substitute Donal Carson too. And in Patrick Mc Bride they have one of the best in Ulster.

Without doubt the team to beat in this age group. The team that beats St Johns in this age group will be one helluva team.

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: bannside on October 25, 2014, 09:37:14 PM
After what I watched today St Johns will be the team to beat in this years u-21 championship. Strong and powerful in all the right positiions. they have a winning pedigree, and formula all over the pitch.  Paddy Hannigans team have obviously kicked on since their minor days and the same fluency is prevalent throughout as seen in their build up play, support play and total unselfishness.

From a county perspective, there are more than a few who could kick on, Matt Fitzpatrick being an outstanding prospect - as good as anything I have seen at that age for quite a while. Michael Johnstons two boys, sometimes better known as hurlers, are both outstanding and just personally I liked Jack Hannigan, and substitute Donal Carson too. And in Patrick Mc Bride they have one of the best in Ulster.

Without doubt the team to beat in this age group. The team that beats St Johns in this age group will be one helluva team.
Would they turn up for the final if they get there?

bannside

Thats way over my head Two hands. Would they? Would they not?

Gizzy15

Quote from: bannside on October 25, 2014, 09:37:14 PM

i watched some of the players you mentioned during st johns defeat to the Tessies in senior championship this year and many of the jonnies team that night didnt count. Were outplayed, outfought and out thought by what looked like a better team. I just think some of the descriptions you have stated from the county perspective may be a bit premature. It is still a big step to senior before you even think of inter county. Not disagreeing but just trying to give a bit of perspective.

bannside

Maybe St Johns underestimated St Teresas ( coming ftom div 2). Peter Mc Keever shouldnt have though.

Two Hands FFS

Quote from: bannside on October 25, 2014, 09:47:38 PM
Thats way over my head Two hands. Would they? Would they not?
They didn't field in the U21 Hurling Final.

country bumpkin

Looks like St Paul's are on the way to div 2 next year unless Rossa  fall flat on their faces..........Rasharkin are already relegated........ Moneyglass look to have slipped up losing to Glenavy and St Teresa's may well join Portglenone in Division One next year.

Na Glinntí Glasa

watched our U21 match on sat v moneyglass. won 3-14 to 1-06. should of been more at the end up but a good win for them.

its a pity we didn't have a minor team as there is some good footballers in that bunch. most, if not all, have played senior all this year so they have got plenty of football.

we play st endas now, what are they like?
hurl like f**k boi!

bannside

St Endas have some talented footballers but wont have near enough if they are pitted against either of the big two of St Johns and Lamh Dhearg this year. Maybe more of a realistic possibility next year or the year after that, if their Paul Mc Girr winning panel sticks together - but thats the big question? Dunloy probably in the same boat DR - you also have a good batch but they are very young too and probably more than a few dual players amongst them who will eventually put hurling first.

Na Glinntí Glasa

to be fair there was only 5 hurlers in that team on Saturday. Karl OKane, Oran Corrigan, Nicky McKeague, Ryan Elliott and Ally Dooey. Nicky would be the only starter amongst that lot. the rest are all footballers and play it alone.

its actually good to see us with a half decent looking team. last year we ran cargan close and only for ill discipline we could of beat them. we should have a minor team next year in the league which can only be a good thing.
hurl like f**k boi!

country bumpkin

Quote from: bannside on October 27, 2014, 10:03:36 AM
St Endas have some talented footballers but wont have near enough if they are pitted against either of the big two of St Johns and Lamh Dhearg this year. Maybe more of a realistic possibility next year or the year after that, if their Paul Mc Girr winning panel sticks together - but thats the big question? Dunloy probably in the same boat DR - you also have a good batch but they are very young too and probably more than a few dual players amongst them who will eventually put hurling first.
ur having us on Bannside.......would suggest the Ports as one of the leading players in under-21 competition.

bannside

We have a decent enough bunch CB but no work at all done with them yet due to senior team still going up to now. This time last year we had 10 sessions over us and a few matches under their belt. Sarsfields  conceded on Saturday too, so no game their either. So we have much less work done than would be ideal. But if we get past Rossa (that's not guaranteed) we might get some kind of run going. Still not in the top two in most peoples betting lists.