Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

Micko is an 84. Andy Mick Nibs Hands all 85's.

CSC

Miko won a hogan cup with St Pats in 2003, in his final year, so that should make him 30 in 2015

bogball88

Quote from: Christmas Lights on October 19, 2014, 01:10:33 PM
Ive recently moved to Lisburn lads, living in the Thaxton village/Lady Wallace square area.

What is my local GAA team?  If I wanted to play some even reserve football up here, what good clubs are there about to join where Id get a game?

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/solicitor-on-sexual-assault-charge-faces-trial-30683463.html

Watch out Christmas Lights!

Christmas Lights

Quote from: bogball88 on October 22, 2014, 03:03:12 PM
Ive recently moved to Lisburn lads, living in the Thaxton village/Lady Wallace square area.

What is my local GAA team?  If I wanted to play some even reserve football up here, what good clubs are there about to join where Id get a game?

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/solicitor-on-sexual-assault-charge-faces-trial-30683463.html

Bringing shame to the area  >:(

billabong

Quote from: Christmas Lights on October 22, 2014, 04:03:06 PM

What's that area like anyway Christmas Lights? Moving into the Magheralave Road area in a while, beside the St Patrick's pitch.

country bumpkin

Quote from: referee on October 22, 2014, 01:28:18 PM
Mick is 31 next birthday,
Well in that case he was over age when he played in the '06 under-21 grade.................tell him to give the medal back.

Gizzy15

Quote from: billabong on October 22, 2014, 04:19:03 PM
Quote from: Christmas Lights on October 22, 2014, 04:03:06 PM

What's that area like anyway Christmas Lights? Moving into the Magheralave Road area in a while, beside the St Patrick's pitch.

Nice enough area, though don't venture across the road into Ballymacash with your county geansaí

Gizzy15

Quote from: hardstation on October 22, 2014, 09:43:47 PM
Quote from: country bumpkin on October 22, 2014, 06:01:31 PM
Quote from: referee on October 22, 2014, 01:28:18 PM
Mick is 31 next birthday,
Well in that case he was over age when he played in the '06 under-21 grade.................tell him to give the medal back.
He can keep his medal, he was the right age. He is only 29. He will be 30 at sometime between 01/01/15 and 01/07/15.

After all this talk, I think we should all have a whip 'round to pay for his 30th birthday party .

I hope after all this debate someone has rang the guy and told him what age he is, the last 3 days must have been unbearable for him waiting for the verdict to come back. At least he can finally put his mind at rest.

CentreHalfBack

I'm sure Mick is reading this having a good laugh!

I wasn't asking about Mick, I eas enquiring more about the new crop coming through?
New season - new reason

Milltown Row2

Anyway means feck all on the face of it, really think he's been a great player both for Cargin and Antrim over the years. Always puts in a solid shift and very rarely complains.

Haven't really talked about the match (flat out on this fecking course!!) that much but a few things on it, we didn't really perform that well and bar a wonder goal by CJ we huffed and puffed the first half, Cargin had all the possession and got first 2 scores and at first I was a little bit worried but the goal really sickened (as it would most teams) Cargin, some heads dropped and I really believe that at that point Cargin lost the match. Some lads never stopped of course, Mick, lad with the beard ? and O'Boyle.

Biggest telling point for me is (as a manager) why did Crozier continue to pick up Pollock, who I thought was MOM, I don't think Mickey lost a ball that came his way and laid off most of the scores we got. Madness. In fairness our defence was solid even the young pups did a great job and I thought when Kevin came on he actually contributed very well ;), up front we had 2 glaring misses or great saves if you want to put a different view on it but only won by 4!

What do Cargin need to do to step up to the plate? They will be back next year as the other teams are that close, Creggan too negative and Ports not there yet? Belfast teams are miles behind unfortunately. Will their manager stay on?

On another note I thought the referee did an excellent job
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

country bumpkin

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 23, 2014, 06:25:59 PM
Anyway means feck all on the face of it, really think he's been a great player both for Cargin and Antrim over the years. Always puts in a solid shift and very rarely complains.

Haven't really talked about the match (flat out on this fecking course!!) that much but a few things on it, we didn't really perform that well and bar a wonder goal by CJ we huffed and puffed the first half, Cargin had all the possession and got first 2 scores and at first I was a little bit worried but the goal really sickened (as it would most teams) Cargin, some heads dropped and I really believe that at that point Cargin lost the match. Some lads never stopped of course, Mick, lad with the beard ? and O'Boyle.

Biggest telling point for me is (as a manager) why did Crozier continue to pick up Pollock, who I thought was MOM, I don't think Mickey lost a ball that came his way and laid off most of the scores we got. Madness. In fairness our defence was solid even the young pups did a great job and I thought when Kevin came on he actually contributed very well ;), up front we had 2 glaring misses or great saves if you want to put a different view on it but only won by 4!

What do Cargin need to do to step up to the plate? They will be back next year as the other teams are that close, Creggan too negative and Ports not there yet? Belfast teams are miles behind unfortunately. Will their manager stay on?

On another note I thought the referee did an excellent job
U got it right MR2.....We under performed again in a final as in the majority of players but perhaps most importantly in management.........of course J Crozier (who was quite obviously not match fit) should not have been assigned to mark MP.........and when it was patently obvious that he wasn't coping with that task change was required and Kobo, T Scullion or the 'bearded one' Marty Kane should have been reassigned to that position.
Cargin had the bit really between the teeth in the opening few minutes and indeed should have had a goal and a few more points before Gall's had a score......J Carron lost the ball at the 20 metre line after a good approach, and after Closey slipped when in, James Laverty blasted wide from close range.
Was CJ really going for goal?
Cargin also made a serious error in assigning T S and Kobo in 'man marking' roles...................thus we lacked those trademark bursts forward...........
Gall's did have a far more 'professional approach and yes K Mc G did contribute, and the ref was excellent............but Cargin were again the chief architects of their own demise.............

Na Glinntí Glasa

cargin got the ball forward and won it well in midfield in the first half but were too slow in taking the score on. it allowed the st galls team time to get back and swamp them completely. the first 10 mins I fancied cargin to win it the way they were playing but all of a sudden they stopped playing that quicker ball in and slowed it down.
hurl like f**k boi!

haranguerer

Galls were always in control.

I was down that end - CJ was definitely going for goal, he got the ball popped through to him, and and stepped out to take a score, but upon stepping out he realised that somehow there still wasn't a Cargin man near him, so he looked up and took the goal.

Crozier shouldn't have been on Pollock. Some young flyer should have been on him, or someone who'd have come through him a few times. He was miles off, which is no good on Pollock, as he has no interest in taking you on.

Its not where the game was lost though - by and large Cargin competed well, probably shaded the middle for the first 40 minutes, but the attacking play was incredibly laboured, and the full forward line not good.

Na Glinntí Glasa

yeah have to agree there with you. they dominated the ball well in the middle during the game but st galls took their scores when they had the chances. Whenever cargin scored St Galls went up the pitch and popped one back over to wipe it out.

they are still a good team no matter what anyone says. Cargin could do with talking to Lgiel about the mental struggle of losing so many finals and coming back from it to become 4 in a row champions
hurl like f**k boi!

bannside

Cargin were set up all year to play St Galls at their own game. In the earlier rounds they were dropping men back behind the ball and playing a three man forward line. This was to facilitate their running game, which relied on a slow build up and then a man coming flying off the shoulder at pace. This new style was probably designed with Tomas in mind, and the others making the breaks were Tony Scullion and Kobo. Against other teams this was working well, but against St Galls these men would have more defensive duties than against the other teams, and on the back foot 50% of the time, their ability to break forward at pace was limited. For that reason I had a good idea the final would be an unattractive for the neutral, with lots of stop start slow build up play.

In reflection it was always going to be dangerous trying to outplay St Galls at their own game, a style they have mastered over recent years.

In the two or three Cargin matches I did see the one thing I noticed was that they were not getting anything near enough out of their forward line - because they werent being used as scoring forwards. If I was on their line I would have considered putting John Carron into full forward, or even Gerard Mc Cann who along with Magill in there would have caused serious damage under a few high balls. The basketball style gameplan Cargin adopted was always going to be risky against St Galls, but with such a potential height advantage I think Cargin would have benefitted from a longer direct ball in around the edge of the square. Would have created a goal chance or two and allowed for a better spectacle.