Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

getevennotcross

Quote from: Minder on July 05, 2015, 04:49:11 PM
Fermanagh 1-21 Antrim 0-11 FT
Well the prolonged agony is all over now.  Thank goodness.

country bumpkin

Well that was hard to watch..........where now?

paddyjohn

See the younger Mac is flat out retweeting all the positive tweets that people aimed at him.

Always has to be about him.

bannside

That was truly shocking yesterday. Fermanagh looked like a well drilled outfit who played with hunger and purpose. Peter McGrath has got them playing well above themselves which is to me the sign of a good manager. Not that the dual all ireland winner needed to remind us of his qualities around a football team.

Less than one year ago Peter Mc Grath made it clear he was interested in the Antrim job. Our all knowing  (know nothing) officials did not even have the courtesy of contacting him, or even go as far as putting him on their shortlist.  This was just another example of their disgraceful lack of both courtesy and intelligence whilst tasked with the right appointment of our senior team management. And I could tell you half a dozen other similar stories about these clowns. Crimes against football in our county is an understatement!

In comparison Antrim looked like a bunch of misfits cobbled together! I have seen many bad Antrim performances over the years but that yesterday was stand out poor.

I'm not having a pop at our management here because I will make my feelings known to Fitzy independently. He served his time with minors and u-21 and was entitled to put his hand up for the job. He has given this all he has, often against the odds. No one will feel sicker this morning than Frankie and I don't plan to add to that. But he will need a big long think about how this can change if he is even remotely considering another year.

My ire is mostly reserved for the board who need to know exactly why three quarters of our first team were not playing yesterday. It's because they see our "set up" as a shambles, that's why. It's for our board who appoint a five man sub committee to oversee football management appointments, budgeting, ambition and structuring decisions despite the obvious fact that NOT ONE of them is properly qualified to do so. Not one of them coached at a high level or played at any level, relative to the position. Jim Murray (McDermotts) Joe Edwards (where did he come from) and Tyrone Eastwood WTF. Did those two ever kick a football in their life!! Jesus wept. Add in a county Treasurer (by default with no experience of finance) whose purpose at "interviews" is to keep the costs lower than the year before.....and less than 50% of the hurling expenditure.

Any wonder we are a mess.

Would they even know what to look for? Yet we allow these clowns to make football decisions. That needs to change with immediate affect at this year's convention.

And whilst I'm at it there's no way some players representing us can get off with that shit yesterday either. Not too many came out with any real credit (Niall Mc Keever looked like a footballer at least) but half a dozen players in particular let us, themselves and their manager down badly with performances that wouldn't allow them on a club team. They know who they are, and based on that maybe it's time for some of them to do the decent thing. When you get individual performances so poor it really wouldn't matter if you bring in the Dublin management.

paddyjohn

Quote from: bannside on July 06, 2015, 08:39:52 AM
That was truly shocking yesterday. Fermanagh looked like a well drilled outfit who played with hunger and purpose. Peter McGrath has got them playing well above themselves which is to me the sign of a good manager. Not that the dual all ireland winner needed to remind us of his qualities around a football team.

Less than one year ago Peter Mc Grath made it clear he was interested in the Antrim job. Our all knowing  (know nothing) officials did not even have the courtesy of contacting him, or even go as far as putting him on their shortlist.  This was just another example of their disgraceful lack of both courtesy and intelligence whilst tasked with the right appointment of our senior team management. And I could tell you half a dozen other similar stories about these clowns. Crimes against football in our county is an understatement!

In comparison Antrim looked like a bunch of misfits cobbled together! I have seen many bad Antrim performances over the years but that yesterday was stand out poor.

I'm not having a pop at our management here because I will make my feelings known to Fitzy independently. He served his time with minors and u-21 and was entitled to put his hand up for the job. He has given this all he has, often against the odds. No one will feel sicker this morning than Frankie and I don't plan to add to that. But he will need a big long think about how this can change if he is even remotely considering another year.

My ire is mostly reserved for the board who need to know exactly why three quarters of our first team were not playing yesterday. It's because they see our "set up" as a shambles, that's why. It's for our board who appoint a five man sub committee to oversee football management appointments, budgeting, ambition and structuring decisions despite the obvious fact that NOT ONE of them is properly qualified to do so. Not one of them coached at a high level or played at any level, relative to the position. Jim Murray (McDermotts) Joe Edwards (where did he come from) and Tyrone Eastwood WTF. Did those two ever kick a football in their life!! Jesus wept. Add in a county Treasurer (by default with no experience of finance) whose purpose at "interviews" is to keep the costs lower than the year before.....and less than 50% of the hurling expenditure.

Any wonder we are a mess.

Would they even know what to look for? Yet we allow these clowns to make football decisions. That needs to change with immediate affect at this year's convention.

And whilst I'm at it there's no way some players representing us can get off with that shit yesterday either. Not too many came out with any real credit (Niall Mc Keever looked like a footballer at least) but half a dozen players in particular let us, themselves and their manager down badly with performances that wouldn't allow them on a club team. They know who they are, and based on that maybe it's time for some of them to do the decent thing. When you get individual performances so poor it really wouldn't matter if you bring in the Dublin management.

Where do we start Bannside? What's your take on how we get out of this mess??

AQMP

I haven't posted on here for a while but yesterday shocked me out of retirement!  bannside is pretty much spot on.  I've seen a lot of Antrim over the past 30-odd years but the performance yesterday ranks amongst the very worst.  If possible it was worse than the Championship game.  I wasn't in Portlaoise so I don't know what happened there but yesterday once Fermanagh got to 0-7 to 0-3 up the whole energy seemed to evaporate out of Antrim.  Now, Fermanagh are not a bad side but they're not a great side either yet Antrim managed to concede 2-34 over two games.  There's a lot of praise for big Quigley this morning but to be honest I've rarely seen a player get so much time and space on the ball in an inter-county game.  Young Burke didn't let him have a kick the first day.  I'll not mention any names but there were half a dozen Antrim players who on that performance would struggle to get a game for Kilkenny.  We did the basics terribly and constantly took the wrong option.

Where do Antrim go from here??  I haven't a feckin clue but unless there's a serious re-think and investment in structure, schools and coaching for a start then the model of one great result every five years followed by consistent dross is set to continue for a long time.  Rant over, good bye!

shawshank

Have to say I feel sorry for bannside and supporters of his ilk, the guy has always been upbeat about Antrim even when it was obvious to most that Antrim were going no where, and his recent posts show that his optimism has starting to burned out. I know he has a young lad involved and it must be sickening to see a team his lad plays for being so brutally served by the CB and in turn by players who could offer so much but they have collapsed to the apathy. People like banside deserve so much more from the CB, so my question is why aren't there a people from clubs who have a genuine interest in their football, organise and involve themselves at the CB level to ensure positive change towards the football team? Its the only way.

FermGael

Quote from: AQMP on July 06, 2015, 02:02:27 PM

Where do Antrim go from here??  I haven't a feckin clue but unless there's a serious re-think and investment in structure, schools and coaching for a start then the model of one great result every five years followed by consistent dross is set to continue for a long time.  Rant over, good bye!

The main difference between Fermanagh and Antrim at underage level is St Michael's Enniskillen.
If you look at the Fermanagh team yesterday most of the young players there come from a McRory team that got beat in a final, a McRory team that won a final plus a team that made a McRory semi final.
Our record at minor and under 21 is pathetic.
If it was not for St Michael's and the professional approach to football that is adopted by the college we would be sunk.

If I was Antrim I think it is imperative for the future development of your county that you have a school's team (probably in Belfast) playing 'A' grade college football consistently.
St Michael's have not won a McRory in a while but the exposure of young Fermanagh players still playing 'A' grade colleges football will help their development. 

Fermanagh have also reformed the supporters group Club Eirne who are spearheading a fundraising movement aimed at helping the seniors and also help develop our youth structures.  There are a couple of very able ex players involved and this can also only be good news for our county. 
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

bannside

Thanks for the support lads but this runs so deep. For me personally it's 40 plus years of pathetic underachievement. I have a few ideas hoe we can sort this but it needs a huge groundswell of support or it will once again fall on deaf ears. Here we go.

1. At AGM a motion is presented that will see to it that in future persons capable of making football based decisions are in the majority.

2. A county Treasurer has no involvement.  The managers are told what their budget is.

3. The county secretary is not allowed to speak.  Just there to take notes. As Jim Mc Clean rightly pointed out at a recent county committee meeting.

4. At least one official in the interview process is from Ulster Council coaching and games development. Eugene Young. Terence Mc Williams or Tony Scullion. Or at least two from those three on a 5 man sub committee.

5. A blueprint for under 21 development totally separate from seniors.  Currently we allow both teams to be run by senior management solely to keep costs down, pitch hire, equipment etc. More on that later. Some high profile recently retired footballers or young coaches on good progress curve.

6. Senior panelists must grow a set of balls and make it clear once and for all that they are simply no longer prepared to accept mediocrity.  Just like Cork hurlers done a few years back before winning the Liam Mc Carthy a few months later. If they meekly accept what our county board offers them then they don't deserve any better. Time for some of the squad leaders to do that. Isn't that right Michael?

7. Appoint a fundraising committee to raise finance for one priority and that's county football development.  A policy. A blueprint. A plan that will be endorsed by the business community. And I know that this can be done if presented properly.

We are a sleeping giant being destroyed slowly but surely by a crowd of so called experts who shouldn't be trusted to organise a picnic.

8. Chase half a dozen of the "board " up the road.

That's for starters.

Dreen

I am in complete agreement with you BS, a novelty having Sharkin man and Portglenone man in such a situation.

(1)We have too many people making decisions on Football matters who clearly don't have the expertise to do so.  I am sure those from the hurling side of things would empathise with is also. 

(2) The old set in stone chairman, secretary and treasurer holy trinity even in a club committee is completely outdated.  Talented people are lost in translation in many clubs thus robbing them and the county of their skilled.
Id like to see a man prove himself at club level either in administration or coaching rather than seeing people filling roles just for the sake of it.

(3) We still have a problem with city and country when it comes to getting coaches working together, the county senior set up being an example this year.  I am not in anyway saying there is bias there but id love to see a 4 man coaching team spread across the county who use their local knowledge to further the county team.  I saw it in underage squads many times with coaches looking after there own and anything like that needs nipped in the bud.  I think there are 20+ good like minded coaches from all over the county who could be pulled together to lead the football revolution. These men need to be content in their roles be it U15 or senior that they are all part of a bigger picture and that they, the players, the clubs and the county in general are being catered for by the county board, not hindered. 

It really is time to stand up and take the bull by the horns

theskull1

Hard to know where the chicken and where the egg is. Generally agree about the ineptness of our administration. For anything to work well you need a critical mass. Antrim struggle for the right number of every type of gaa individual (dedicated supporter, dedicated coach, dedicated parents, dedicated talented administrators). I wouldn't know where to start changing hearts and minds.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

brendanbelfast

Guys, we are at a low ebb no doubt. But these same sentiments were aired last year and the year before etc etc....what is for sure is that at each Co Convention, nothing changes. I can only imagine that the hurt of June / July goes away by the time December comes round. What else could explain it?

In ths last two years we have heard that Aidan O'Rourke was the answer, that John McKeever was the answer, and now that Pete McGrath  was the answer all allong. All well and good but is it as smple as that? I'm not sure anymore, our teams appear, in the big championship games, to go out and contain, stay in the game, clog things up, hopefully get scores on the break....all that bullshit. And you know what? Fermanagh are NOT a a good side, watch how far  they go, it wont take that long. Will Quigley score 14 V Rossies? No chance. FFS I'd like to think that he wouldnt get 14 off a e decent Div 1 full back.

as for the yankees, - yes I understand the allure, no doubt. But shouldnt they be asked at the start of the calendar year - Are you here for the duration or not? Guys cant leave a panel with the hearty best wishes of their  colleagues on the county team, can they?

Frank Fitz had a difficult year, and he handled himself very well, though I would like some explanation for the nature of Sunday's performance., But FF has earned a second year.

theskull1

Quote from: brendanbelfast on July 07, 2015, 04:59:00 AM
Guys, we are at a low ebb no doubt. But these same sentiments were aired last year and the year before etc etc....what is for sure is that at each Co Convention, nothing changes. I can only imagine that the hurt of June / July goes away by the time December comes round. What else could explain it?

Complete and utter apathy amongst a huge swathe of the population in Antrim. The critical mass doesnt exist.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Pub Bore

bannside

Hard to argue with Skulls assertion. Having been involved in Derry club football there is ten times more interest in club games, especially come championship time. However we have a huge passive support and this is our growth area.  Should we get a good run going our crowd would soon get out. So too would the business community I am certain of that too. But yes it's chicken and egg. At the minute no one wants to know and we have an uphill battle to change that.

Only way it can change is with a progressive new chairman or new board members who will have the foresight to do things differently.  At the minute inter county football is not on their priority list. It's way down the pecking order.

We need an independent  football sub committee with a job description and a remit to do what's needed. There is plenty of know how in our county - our club alone has three managers in Derry division One as a small example and i was round that block myself - and I know lots of good knowledgeable football men in Antrim who would have lots to offer given the opportunity. But the problem is many do not want us to achieve, not least many in the hurling community who see our progression as either a threat (yo finances) or a nuisance.

A football sub committee could go to Ulster and negotiate some assistance if needed and work in partnership with them until the corner has turned. After all its in their best interests to tap into a huge new target audience. This committee would be allocated a budget to manage, but could be free to organise additional fu draising initiatives to bolster their resources. In amy event it's now absolutely essential that football men get a chance to turn this around. The board men have failed due to a combination  of lack of ambition, lack of finances and most importantly lack of basic knowledge.