Author Topic: Antrim Football Thread  (Read 3105340 times)

Spike

• View Profile
Re: Antrim Football Thread
« Reply #21480 on: November 19, 2020, 11:21:52 PM »
Cant say Antrim haven't been a bit more ambitious this time out. 2 (or 4 if you count all of McGinleys) all Ireland winners.  McEntee more managerial experience than McGinley but then McG brings Stephen O'Neill as assistant manager who definitely has the kudos over Madden who is yet to crack senior management.  Tight call.  Players will definitely listen to McGinley, O'Neill and McEntee who have been there and won it all, and no one in Antrim is going to win a 'show us yer medals' contest. Every player on that Antrim squad will listen to whatever those 3 men say as Gospel so mentally, Antrim should improve and hopefully get out of Div 4.

McGinley and O'Neill bring the wow factor but McEntee brings more experience. The Cargin lads wont want Madden in there so to avoid friction, probably the McG & O'Neill combo works.

Either way, both options are huge step ups from what has gone on before so fair play to the county board and Chairman this time.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 11:23:39 PM by Spike »

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21481 on: November 19, 2020, 11:29:12 PM »
Cargin calling the shots?
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

JimStynes

• View Profile
« Reply #21482 on: November 19, 2020, 11:38:38 PM »
If McGinley is manager then theyíll all play.

Cranfield

• View Profile
« Reply #21483 on: November 20, 2020, 12:19:38 AM »
Typical spike and his anti madden agenda.

Letís take personalities and club politics out of it.

2 management teams. One that has 20+ years of coaching experience at club & county.
McEntee has managed cross to win a couple of all-Ireland club titles and many have said the brains behind Rochford at Mayo when they got so close. He would command instant respect. Madden has managed various Derry clubs. Coached Glenullin to a championship. Took us to our first ever league title and only for horrendous finishing we would have had our first county title in 50 years. Has inter-county experience with Derry & Tyrone as well as being an Antrim man.

McGinley and OíNeill have about 4 years combined experience behind them with zero success. Oneill is in his first ever management job and he intends to continue with that as well as coach antrim. So we are going to employ McGinley as a county manager with a grand total of 2 years club experience where he wasnít even close to winning a championship ahead of Tony McEntee. Iím embarrassed for you  ???

Spike

• View Profile
« Reply #21484 on: November 20, 2020, 01:01:28 AM »
Cranfield, in truth, the thing that's embarrassing here is you being KM's fanboy with your over the top reaction.... and also the fact that you didn't really read my post pointing out that McEntee/Madden is a credible combo. Please leave the personal insults at the door. I don't have an anti KM agenda, I just don't think we should be encouraging mediocrity, highlighted by your peculiar take on that dire county final and the tactics employed.. Please give The Baker the credit he deserves for winning that championship with Glenullin, We'll have agree to disagree.   

But Call a spade a spade - McEntee is the draw here, and a very credible draw at that, good experience, success, has won the lot, and if Antrim appoint him then no one can have any complaints. 

Whether you like it or not McGinley / O'Neill combo carries weight, not just for their 'wow' factor, prestige, medals, success and experience, but also because they carry no politics into the setup unlike the McEntee/Madden combo. a young Swatragh team were beat by the reigning Derry county champs this year - hardly an affront. Hes a young manager, drawing on his vast experience and success, working alongside a living football legend. Experience is certainly in McEntee's favour. If McEntee is appointed I for one will not be complaining. I'm happy with either appointment though id prefer the McG/O'Neill combo.

I'll repeat again just so you don't misunderstand me again: ''Either way, both options are huge step ups from what has gone on before so fair play to the county board and Chairman this time''

MR2 - I don't see Cargin calling the shots on this one but a settled and contented camp will do no harm.

Jim Stynes - Id say any of them that went up last year will expect to play this year.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 07:50:55 AM by Spike »

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #21485 on: November 20, 2020, 01:13:03 AM »
Iíd like to see more Cargin lads on the team tbf.

Just that your post was a bit blackmaily tongue in cheek style.

Look there was huge interest last time and great to see same approach, speed of appointment is important as we want/need to hit the pitch running.

Be interested in seeing the commitment of coach if in fact he is properly on board, SON was a serious operator on the pitch, letís see how well he is on the line.

Is this another 3 year plan from both interviewees?
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Spike

• View Profile
« Reply #21486 on: November 20, 2020, 01:24:33 AM »
There is always a 3 year plan!  ;D   

County board and chairman have been on the front foot and got good credible potentials. Id say McG has been on radar longer as the McEntee interest seems to have been a reaction from the weekends events.

The bigger question is McG, SON, or McE ready for Antrim? Mentality totally different from Tyrone or Armagh.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 07:24:31 AM by Spike »

EOC1923

• View Profile
« Reply #21487 on: November 20, 2020, 07:55:27 AM »
Typical spike and his anti madden agenda.

Letís take personalities and club politics out of it.

2 management teams. One that has 20+ years of coaching experience at club & county.
McEntee has managed cross to win a couple of all-Ireland club titles and many have said the brains behind Rochford at Mayo when they got so close. He would command instant respect. Madden has managed various Derry clubs. Coached Glenullin to a championship. Took us to our first ever league title and only for horrendous finishing we would have had our first county title in 50 years. Has inter-county experience with Derry & Tyrone as well as being an Antrim man.

McGinley and OíNeill have about 4 years combined experience behind them with zero success. Oneill is in his first ever management job and he intends to continue with that as well as coach antrim. So we are going to employ McGinley as a county manager with a grand total of 2 years club experience where he wasnít even close to winning a championship ahead of Tony McEntee. Iím embarrassed for you  ???
Thats a version of the county final I havent heard before Keep believing!!!
You need a bit more balance hopefully you arent one of the interviewers. You cant discount all the playing success Mcginley and O neill had at that ultimate level. McGinley I think won one or else two county minor champs with his club, Has madden even managed an underage team to a championship?. Why is McGinleys or O Neills 2 years as a senior club manager with no success more relevant than maddens 10 or so years as a club manager with zero success (if success is judged on championships)
I am balanced however and I would give it to McEntee and Madden. Seem like a stronger overall pairing.

Caesar

• View Profile
« Reply #21488 on: November 20, 2020, 08:28:10 AM »
So is it a two horse race then?  McGinley/O'Neill Vs Madden/McEntee.

Or does anyone know different?

Belfast GAA man

• View Profile
« Reply #21489 on: November 20, 2020, 10:56:41 AM »
have Antrim put their money up? highest profile people interested Ever Or seen as stepping stone to bigger jobs for these boys

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #21490 on: November 20, 2020, 10:58:06 AM »
have Antrim put their money up? highest profile people interested Ever Or seen as stepping stone to bigger jobs for these boys

Doing it for free

NAG1

• View Profile
« Reply #21491 on: November 20, 2020, 11:41:14 AM »

I was wondering this myself.

The Armagh man is not coming cheap by any stretch and KM has been used to being well expensed in previous roles, so the whole package is going to take serious investment.

Flanker

• View Profile
« Reply #21492 on: November 20, 2020, 12:23:33 PM »
Armagh a good bit closer than Tipp....Less 45p  :)

Dunsilly King

• View Profile
« Reply #21493 on: November 20, 2020, 12:43:54 PM »
Its great to read about theses potential management teams. So to summarise we have

McEntee/Madden
McGinley/O'Neill
O'Rourke
Cassidy
McKeever

I think that's the names I read that were linked with the senior job. Each have their strengths and weaknesses. One comment on McEntee, I read above where some poster credited him with Mayo. I think Rockford has demonstrated his prowess by what he has contributed to Donegal's attacking game plan over the past two years. They are now serious All ireland contenders. Mayo have floundered since he left. Just an observation.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #21494 on: November 20, 2020, 05:07:57 PM »
The first three on that list are in contention at this stage. DC choosing to remain at Erins Own with JMK fully committed to Wolfe Tones for another year.  Both would have been very strong candidates, all about timing. The board deserve credit for pushing the boat out further than ever. Good luck to the winning proposal, Antrim football needs a big lift and the players are there to do it. May God guide the decision makers over the weekend.