Author Topic: Antrim Football Thread  (Read 3053674 times)

themac_23

• View Profile
Re: Antrim Football Thread
« Reply #20610 on: September 18, 2020, 08:56:53 AM »
Itís really going over ground isnít it, sometimes clubs just canít get someone from inside to do the job, or equally someone from inside who is up to the job and willing. In that case they have to go outside and unfortunately itís gonna cost money sometimes. Though in fairness I do k ow a few fellas taking teams and are doing it for genuine expenses although I accept they are few and far between

NAG1

• View Profile
« Reply #20611 on: September 18, 2020, 09:05:35 AM »
Itís really going over ground isnít it, sometimes clubs just canít get someone from inside to do the job, or equally someone from inside who is up to the job and willing. In that case they have to go outside and unfortunately itís gonna cost money sometimes. Though in fairness I do k ow a few fellas taking teams and are doing it for genuine expenses although I accept they are few and far between

Problem being that it then becomes a vicious cycle, once you go for the 'perceived' better outsider it will then make the job of finding an internal suitable club member that bit more difficult. Think of the amount of these guys across Ulster, making serious serious money in some cases and for what?
You telling me that Cargin couldnt get someone from within their own club to run a team, probably most talented team in the county past 5 odd years and yet they need two mercenaries to get them over the line? Pure madness

You will soon end up in the position that Bellaghy found themselves in with DC and he was one of their own.

Spike

• View Profile
« Reply #20612 on: September 18, 2020, 10:25:29 AM »
there are a lot of nuances at work here.  Once a talented manager is 'rewarded' for managing an outside team it will be rare that he will want to get off that gravy train to manage his own club for nought.  Some men don't want to take their own clubs as they are unrewarded that season or for the flak that comes their way and the irreparable damage to some relationships caused by team selection and treatment. 

All that aside, what is the answer? there are always loopholes.  eg You can only manage for the team you were first a registered member of? that draconian measure would then mean people who moved away from home could never manage a team and would never work in practice.

The horse has already bolted so perhaps going forward we should concentrate on the regulation, standards and control of this issue and manage these mercenaries going forward so that it is more transparent and quality is assured. Some sort of benefit in kind back to the originate club / county?

Either we do something collectively or we just moan about the issue and continue on as we are

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #20613 on: September 18, 2020, 10:38:42 AM »
Aghagallon
Ahoghill
Aldergrove
Cargin
St Brigidís
Creggan
St Galls
Rossa
St Johns
St Endas
Sarsfields
St Paulís
Ballymena
Tir Na Og
Glenravel
Glenavy
Dunloy
Moneyglass
PG1
St Teresas

Have I missed any Div1 or 2 teams there? Try and fill in the blanks and outside managers

you can remove us from anything to do with being paid as the management are 4 ex players and they have no strength and conditioning coaches either. Everyone is doing it for nothing.
hurl like f**k boi!

Bronco

• View Profile
« Reply #20614 on: September 18, 2020, 10:42:06 AM »
That's the way it should be, good to see.

BigBallWeeBall

• View Profile
« Reply #20615 on: September 18, 2020, 01:15:19 PM »
There are indeed. Not sure why that has you so riled up that you need to portray it as a Bellaghy/Cargin v St Enda's/Creggan final.

Most clubs have someone involved from outside these days in some capacity. Personally I wouldn't be in favour of that situation but it is what it is. Your facetious comments however indicate a rather unseemly jealousy of both teams reaching the final. Which is sad to see.
Are there members not heavily involved IN the final bronco ?
unseemly jealousy ! U sound like A st brigids chap ! Just donít like paid coaches, and clubs who pay them,  when 99 percent do it for Free  . Simple to understand

99% percent?

So in Antrim letís say we have 30 clubs, how many are paying?
I think heís talking about people involved in clubs who arenít paid rather than clubs who donít pay.
Some facts for most clubs

We need new kit for Camogs.. Do a wine night fundraiser
U10s need footballs.. Organise a raffle
U16 hurlers need sliotars.. Organise a car wash
U14s away to Feile...Ask local businesses for donations
Senior Manager is paid... Ssshhhhhhhh ffs do not let on
Piss on the volunteers

BrendanAntrim

• View Profile
« Reply #20616 on: September 18, 2020, 02:23:37 PM »
Plenty of football entertainment for facebook fans this weekend. MFC & IFC on facebook tomorrow and the SFC final on Sunday.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #20617 on: September 18, 2020, 02:45:54 PM »
Are st Brigid's much good at minor level? Cargin look like strong favourites though I don't know much about the age group.

Great again by Antrim board to get all these streamed - and they're free at that.

BrendanAntrim

• View Profile
« Reply #20618 on: September 18, 2020, 02:57:28 PM »
Cargin strong favourites for the minor. Only 4 NB players still in minor from last years final, i think the majority of Cargin are. Still, could be a good game.

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #20619 on: September 18, 2020, 03:13:59 PM »
got a ticket for our game tomorrow. looking forward to it compared to last weekend!

Last weekend i couldn't settle for the fear of losing to Loughgiel lol so this weekend the expectation isnt as high so i can try and enjoy it :D
hurl like f**k boi!

City watcher

• View Profile
« Reply #20620 on: September 18, 2020, 04:47:27 PM »
There are indeed. Not sure why that has you so riled up that you need to portray it as a Bellaghy/Cargin v St Enda's/Creggan final.

Most clubs have someone involved from outside these days in some capacity. Personally I wouldn't be in favour of that situation but it is what it is. Your facetious comments however indicate a rather unseemly jealousy of both teams reaching the final. Which is sad to see.
unseemly jealousy ! U sound like A st brigids chap ! Just donít like paid coaches, and clubs who pay them,  when 99 percent do it for Free  . Simple to understand

You must dislike every senior and intermediate club in Antrim because at some stage they have all done it. You'll soon need therapy  8) :o
I canít say for certain that it hasnít happened but a paid Rossa manager doesnít come to mind.

But a paid strength and conditioning coach does come to mind hs ;)

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #20621 on: September 18, 2020, 08:11:19 PM »
Fair play to the Antrim board or Sean Kelly if it is him streaming the Pearseís match.

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #20622 on: September 18, 2020, 08:23:59 PM »

You must dislike every senior and intermediate club in Antrim because at some stage they have all done it. You'll soon need therapy  8) :o
I canít say for certain that it hasnít happened but a paid Rossa manager doesnít come to mind.

But a paid strength and conditioning coach does come to mind hs ;)
Rossa employ a S&C coach? That surprises me!

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #20623 on: September 18, 2020, 08:48:46 PM »
Fair play to the Antrim board or Sean Kelly if it is him streaming the Pearseís match.

Great stuff for Mick

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #20624 on: September 18, 2020, 10:44:47 PM »
I appreciate the excuse but it is only an excuse. If the paid outside man wasnít an option, you can be damn sure the best alternative would get the gig. Itís like players. If a club are stuck for a goalkeeper or a full back, they play the hand theyíre dealt and some man is put in to do the job. If heís not great, you have to live with that or try someone else. I imagine it wouldnít be acceptable to lure a keeper or full back from elsewhere on the promise of 10 grand a year. Yet, itís acceptable to do it with managers.

What is also true is that there are probably countless men in a lot of these clubs who would happily give it a go if their club werenít a managerial circuit club. As I mentioned before, it is now expected & even demanded in some clubs. As if the players deserve more than their own club man. The funny thing is that there are some absolute conmen on the circuit in Ulster yet they never fail to get a gig. One club dumps them, another throws another bundle of cash at them. Rinse & repeat.

Itís simply too difficult to police and that will continually be exploited by dishonest clubs. Until they cop themselves on, it will always be thus.