Author Topic: Antrim Football Thread  (Read 2718112 times)

Belfast GAA man

• View Profile
Re: Antrim Football Thread
« Reply #19485 on: February 08, 2020, 06:38:33 PM »
100%. A club with a big heart, been playing both codes for years and kept the game going in a "tight" area during the tough days of the troubles. They can now look forward to being the hub of their large community and hopefully drive onwards and upwards to the top divisions in the not too distant future.
yeah McDermotts , Dwyers and clonard have all stopped fielding teams in the lower falls with no facilities a major issue. The Davitts have kept the GAA flag and deserve what they got

Beechmount would be viewed as mid Falls, an area which never had a club, well not in over 40 odd years that I can remember, St Paulís parish would have been the St Paulís club we have now but obviously they are based on Shaws rd. the demise of those clubs havenít really benefited Davitts I donít think as from what I can see itís all Davitts past present players looking after things, theyíve always been involved with the local primaryís also.

The success of Davitts will be bringing through the numbers they have to senior.
sirely Davitts clubrooms is in lower whack MR2 ?

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19486 on: February 09, 2020, 09:32:58 AM »
100%. A club with a big heart, been playing both codes for years and kept the game going in a "tight" area during the tough days of the troubles. They can now look forward to being the hub of their large community and hopefully drive onwards and upwards to the top divisions in the not too distant future.
yeah McDermotts , Dwyers and clonard have all stopped fielding teams in the lower falls with no facilities a major issue. The Davitts have kept the GAA flag and deserve what they got

Beechmount would be viewed as mid Falls, an area which never had a club, well not in over 40 odd years that I can remember, St Paulís parish would have been the St Paulís club we have now but obviously they are based on Shaws rd. the demise of those clubs havenít really benefited Davitts I donít think as from what I can see itís all Davitts past present players looking after things, theyíve always been involved with the local primaryís also.

The success of Davitts will be bringing through the numbers they have to senior.
sirely Davitts clubrooms is in lower whack MR2 ?
[/quote

The pub is  but the pitch is not, and stop calling me Ďsirelyí
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #19487 on: February 09, 2020, 02:52:18 PM »
Half time and we are 0-9 to 0 -1 ahead in Ruislip,  but facing into a huge wind in the second half. Fingers crossed for a big second half.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #19488 on: February 09, 2020, 03:22:58 PM »
Come on lads we need another score. London four points on the bounce.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #19489 on: February 09, 2020, 03:33:11 PM »
See it out now.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #19490 on: February 09, 2020, 03:38:28 PM »
Job done. If we can beat Carlow in two weeks we are firmly back in the hunt. All to play for.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 04:33:39 PM by bannside »

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #19491 on: February 09, 2020, 05:37:59 PM »
Carlow beat by limerick? Whole thing quite open but Carlow still a must win! Good to get another win.

BrendanAntrim

• View Profile
« Reply #19492 on: February 09, 2020, 06:21:59 PM »
Limerick are going to be tough to beat, especially away (think that is away?). But if we end the league with only one defeat we will go up. Head to head win over Wexford night come into play. Huge game coming up v Carlow at home. It appears they arenít the team they were two seasons ago, a repeat of performance against Wexford could see us home in Carlow game.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #19493 on: February 09, 2020, 06:38:20 PM »
Next two are both at home. Carlow 2 weeks and Limerick in 3 weeks. Tomas Mc Cann not far away now and a good chance he will make a return in one of these matches. These are massive games hopefully home advantage can swing it.

Sportacus

• View Profile
« Reply #19494 on: February 09, 2020, 08:05:17 PM »
Well done everyone.  Would be great to see a promotion push, and would that mean a day in Croke Park?  I hope the games are played in Glenavy.  Great wee spot and friendly stewards.

Rodger Mona

• View Profile
« Reply #19495 on: February 11, 2020, 09:33:14 AM »
Yeah i heard that was true. Shows you how bad Antrim Championship was at a time when you guys were trying to peak for December.

Id say St.Galls may have started training after the last county final aswell ..... only this time in preperation for 2020 chsip.

;)

Iíd say if Cargin used same tactic they might beat the Fermanagh champs, get past the first round  ;D

I would say YOU are right. Either that or they just havent the stones to win in ulster.

Or maybe it was the replay followed by the 20 additional minutes given injury time the week before at Corrigan. Apparently McCavanna was for throwing the leg over the fence as he done at the Dub to call an end to the game.

Happy for the extra minutes in The first game?

As a spectator. No i nearly had a heart attack but got my moneys worth. Dont think anyone can argue with extra time or injury time, but 8minutes on top of what was added was mad. The ref wasnt even being subtle about what he was trying to do. God Bless him all the same, wouldnt want to be in the middle of trying to officiate that  with the amount of off the ball incidents and coaches encroaching the pitch every 2 minutes. you would need really good umpires/ Linesmen
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 10:43:12 AM by Rodger Mona »

Belfast GAA man

• View Profile
« Reply #19496 on: February 11, 2020, 09:54:07 AM »
3 games in BS Who have been the best 3 or 4 players?

Rodger Mona

• View Profile
« Reply #19497 on: February 11, 2020, 10:40:58 AM »
More importantly.... how did young loughran do BS? Did he live up to the hype? Also what was story with D.McAleese playing 3? Read he kicked 3 points? Have we another Brendan Rogers in our hands? Slaughtneil not Leicester

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #19498 on: February 11, 2020, 11:03:16 AM »
Harder question to answer than I thought! Against Wexford nearly everyone did their job well, but likewise against Sligo nearly everyone was average enough, no one stood out. I didn't make it to Ruislip but I was told it was nearly impossible to play good football, mostly real backs to the wall stuff. If you put me in a corner I'd say Paddy Gallagher and Big Ricky, with honourable mention to Paddy Cunningham for his vital scores from frees.

Dermot Mc Aleese chipped in with three important scores on Sunday and is a big addition to the starting 15, likewise Tomas is not far away and the icing on the cake for me in the forward line would be Adam Loughran. Those three should bring a lot more energy punch and scoring threat to our forward division. It's all in our own hands but I still believe we will be in Division 3 next year but we need to win our next two at home for that to happen.

RM, I don't expect to see Dermot at full back, just a jersey number and young Adam didn't see game time as it wasn't the type of game to suit him. His day will come.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 11:05:07 AM by bannside »

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19499 on: February 11, 2020, 09:05:31 PM »
Yeah i heard that was true. Shows you how bad Antrim Championship was at a time when you guys were trying to peak for December.

Id say St.Galls may have started training after the last county final aswell ..... only this time in preperation for 2020 chsip.

;)

Iíd say if Cargin used same tactic they might beat the Fermanagh champs, get past the first round  ;D

I would say YOU are right. Either that or they just havent the stones to win in ulster.

Or maybe it was the replay followed by the 20 additional minutes given injury time the week before at Corrigan. Apparently McCavanna was for throwing the leg over the fence as he done at the Dub to call an end to the game.

Happy for the extra minutes in The first game?

As a spectator. No i nearly had a heart attack but got my moneys worth. Dont think anyone can argue with extra time or injury time, but 8minutes on top of what was added was mad. The ref wasnt even being subtle about what he was trying to do. God Bless him all the same, wouldnt want to be in the middle of trying to officiate that  with the amount of off the ball incidents and coaches encroaching the pitch every 2 minutes. you would need really good umpires/ Linesmen
Was less than 8 I think and the players seemed to be well of the clock on the refs arm, the only one that matters I suppose, but hey whatever suits your opinion  ;D
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)