Author Topic: Antrim Football Thread  (Read 2608683 times)

paddyjohn

• View Profile
Re: Antrim Football Thread
« Reply #18795 on: October 30, 2019, 11:49:04 AM »
done and all.

A championship

1 - Ballymena v Dunloy
2. St Johns v Randalstown
3. Creggan v Moneyglass
4. Rossa v St Brigids

Semi finals - 24th Nov
1 v 4
2 v 3

home venue in the quarter finals. Neutral there after

B Championship

Prelim - 3rd Nov
Glenavy v Aghagallon

First Round - 10th Nov
St Pauls v St Endas - can be moved to suit ulster final
Glenavy/Aghagallon v Cargin

Quarter Finals - 17th Nov
Portglenone v St galls
Glenavy/Aghagallon/Cargin v St Pauls/St Endas
Lamh Dherg v Gortnamona
Glenravel v Aldergrove - can be moved subject to Ulster championship

Glenravel ran your lads close last night.. Were you missing a few?

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #18796 on: October 30, 2019, 12:02:21 PM »
missing around 5/6 lads but that didnt take away from how Glenravel played.

they totally deserved to be winning at half time. they defended really well and we seemed to make more mistakes than we needed to. They got 4 goals in the first half that we just didnt defend at all.

second half was a different game and we did deserved to get a result at the end up but it was harsh on Glenravel as they worked their arses off for the whole hour of the game.

Also fair dues to them for moving the game to accommodate the hurling on our end. they could of refused to work with us and we would of had to just give them the points and take a fine as most the lads are in the hurling panel/team.
hurl like f**k boi!

The Gs Man

• View Profile
« Reply #18797 on: October 30, 2019, 01:43:30 PM »
Any word on what the underage structure is this year?  Is it sticking with U14's/U16's or moving to 13's/15's?
Keep 'er lit

Belfast GAA man

• View Profile
« Reply #18798 on: October 30, 2019, 07:36:47 PM »
Defo feel good factor coming from the most watched championship ever - our PRO made sure everyone got to watch it no matter where they were - top man

Is Gaelfast producing good Vibes too? lots of activity for sure but r any clubs feeling the benefit yet??????

Surely Galefast is working at primary level? I doubt we’ll see benefits until that process has run its course and hopefully numbers increase and sustainability resulting in bigger numbers playing our games. Success should be seen as increased numbers, better full time coaches, improved participation from schools. Once those targets are met (if that is their goal) we’ll benefit in the long run..

I don’t think this is a get rich quick scheme
Definitely not a quick impact scheme but would love to hear some even small results like X club's juvenile membership growing rapidly or a new club being formed on the back of increased numbers but you are right MR2 we will have to be patient in the weeks and months ahead to see such thingS

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #18799 on: October 30, 2019, 07:46:32 PM »
Probably the biggest obstacle qe have in Antrim especially Belfast is the lure of organised soccer. I recently talked to a schoolteacher in St Marys who named a dozen class acts at gaelic football who were going to be good county standard who fell through the net to soccer. Winning the battle for hearts and minds of GAA over soccer in nationalist areas is the first big test. Im happy to kerp the faith with Paul Donnelly and his troops that this can be achieved.

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #18800 on: October 30, 2019, 07:47:56 PM »
Eamon Fyfe confirmed now also. Somebody check on Peter John

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #18801 on: October 30, 2019, 08:41:34 PM »
Lol PJ. Good to see a Glenravel man on the panel after a few years. Alec Mc Quillan and Martin Mulholland were two of the best Saffrons ever in my time watching. Eamon has the world of ability too....hope he can kick on into a big player for us now!

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #18802 on: October 30, 2019, 11:30:01 PM »
The breaking news that Creagh Concrete are to step up their financial association with the county by sponsoring all 8 development squads is another fantastic boost for Antrim Gaa. The Mc Keague family firm has stood tall with Antrim through some dark days, a period of one negative story after another and of course  tough times of their own during a long and nasty recession.

They are a company on a big upward curve now and see the many positive changes happening throughout the county and look set to take their involvement with Antrim Gaa to the next level. It may take a decade to "make Antrim great" but developments like this one can really make it happen.

Jeepers Creepers

• View Profile
« Reply #18803 on: October 31, 2019, 10:19:06 AM »
The breaking news that Creagh Concrete are to step up their financial association with the county by sponsoring all 8 development squads is another fantastic boost for Antrim Gaa. The Mc Keague family firm has stood tall with Antrim through some dark days, a period of one negative story after another and of course  tough times of their own during a long and nasty recession.

They are a company on a big upward curve now and see the many positive changes happening throughout the county and look set to take their involvement with Antrim Gaa to the next level. It may take a decade to "make Antrim great" but developments like this one can really make it happen.

Who are the new senior sponsors BS?

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #18804 on: October 31, 2019, 10:47:54 AM »
Lol PJ. Good to see a Glenravel man on the panel after a few years. Alec Mc Quillan and Martin Mulholland were two of the best Saffrons ever in my time watching. Eamon has the world of ability too....hope he can kick on into a big player for us now!

Alec has to be in the Top3 best Antrim players of all time I'd say.

ned

• View Profile
« Reply #18805 on: October 31, 2019, 12:44:17 PM »

Really? Superlative free taker, longevity too but that's some claim. I'm not disputing your statement right enough. Trained with him regularly at club and can safely say he was Glenravel's greatest.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #18806 on: October 31, 2019, 02:43:05 PM »
I'm with PaddyJohn on this. Havent seen many better than Alec for consistency over a period from around 1980 until early nineties. Best of his generation imo. Could have played anywhere, never wasted a ball.

paddyjohn

• View Profile
« Reply #18807 on: October 31, 2019, 03:51:00 PM »

Really? Superlative free taker, longevity too but that's some claim. I'm not disputing your statement right enough. Trained with him regularly at club and can safely say he was Glenravel's greatest.

I'd be quite confident that 7/10 people would agree with me.

Belfast GAA man

• View Profile
« Reply #18808 on: October 31, 2019, 08:57:38 PM »
talking about best ever players is near impossible when comparing era's
Best stab would by decade - for starters

90s - Ciaran O'Neill, Aidan Donnelly, Terry McCrudden, John Rafferty
00s - Kevin Brady, Kevin McGourty,Sean Kelly,
10's - Michael McCann, CJ McGourty,Paddy Cunningam

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #18809 on: October 31, 2019, 09:27:14 PM »
All about opinions I suppose, no one can really claim to have the definitive answer. Thing about Alec is...he put everything into playing for the county, for about twelve years or more. In fairness Kevin Brady did too, and he is most worthy of a place in this discussion. They both gave club and county everything and never missed a year.