Author Topic: Antrim Football Thread  (Read 2473903 times)

imtommygunn

• View Profile
Re: Antrim Football Thread
« Reply #17970 on: June 06, 2019, 08:51:22 AM »
If we stay in Ulster Championship then fair enough, I said that.  But thereís an agenda from some to see a fully blown 2nd tier which I would oppose because any little crumb of profile that we enjoy at the moment would go up in smoke. Such a 2nd tier would be a backwater.  Media wonít be interested, supporters wonít be interested, coverage will be next to nothing and apathy will multiply.  Iím not in favour of the rich getting richer.

This year on year beating we are getting is not improving us at all though and you can see more and more apathy towards the county setup. Something has to give.

I would agree to a point though that I would worry about the GAA's agenda with 2nd tiers. I also am not sure I subscribe to the theory that throwing more money at it will solve the issue.

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #17971 on: June 06, 2019, 08:57:33 AM »
lets be truthful, we arent good enough to compete at the level we are in. We're the Waterford in Munster, the Louth in Leninster, the Leitrim in Connaght. we are that team that everyone wants to draw for a guaranteed win.

It pains me to write that but its the very harsh truth. We are where we deserve to be.

My first reaction to the tiered hurling was the one of anger and disgust. how could we be treated like this, we are too good for this Christy Ring shite!

But the hard truth was that it was our level and we, at that time, were not good enough. Fast forward a few years and were in the Joe McDonagh cup, a competition that the media ignore but one that has produced the most competitive hurling we have had in years. We have 5 teams who all can beat each other, who are all on their day on a same level with each other. the games are extremely competitive with a massive prize at the other end for the winner and a massive drop down for the bottom team.

The two tiers will come in, no matter how much we moan about it, mainly because the bigger counties dont want to play a pointless game e.g. Dublin v Louth. No one gains from that game or a fixture like that.

I dont know what format it will take but if it gives us 4 good games like our hurlers are getting how can that be a bad thing? If we win on sat we have a final in Croke Park and then another guaranteed game in the Liam McCarthy Cup. 6 championship  games, all at a level we can compete at.

to me that is better than 2 beatings every single season.
hurl like f**k boi!

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #17972 on: June 06, 2019, 09:53:34 AM »
My view would be the same as yours DR. I don't think we would lose anything from being in a 2nd tier. We might get more winnable games.(Although I would be hopeful we will win saturday night)

I'm not sure on the GAA's agenda on it but that's a different story. To be honest if they do this they should be able to compress the county season making more time for club football.

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #17973 on: June 06, 2019, 10:15:32 AM »
The Tommy Murphy Cup was a nonsense that nobody had any interest in. That's why it was scrapped.
The idea of playing Provincial championships whereby Division 3 and 4 teams are eliminated from the All Ireland unless they reach their respective Provincial finals is hugely unfair as it weighs against the Division 3 & 4 teams from Ulster and Leinster. It is a much more difficult route to a Provincial final in Ulster and Leinster than it is in Munster and Connacht. The Provincial system is unfair as it is but this would totally magnify it.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #17974 on: June 06, 2019, 10:27:10 AM »
They have to make it better than the Tommy Murphy if it is to fly at all though. As someone else said in some post somewhere on this board it is very likely this will happen whether we like it or not anyway. They can't just make it best of some set of losers so need to think very carefully.

Sportacus

• View Profile
« Reply #17975 on: June 06, 2019, 11:00:46 AM »
Is the hurling model a true comparison? Weíd be upper 2nd tier in hurling so itís always going to offer possibilities to Antrim. I just donít think itís the answer in football, more like just another straw to clutch at and the impact could be quite negative. For instance young lads need to have the dream of playing for their County on the big day.  I donít think there will be any big days for us in 2nd tier.  Donít forget weíve been to an Ulster Final more recently than Armagh and Cavan who are both enjoying the limelight at the moment and their young lads, 11 and 12 year olds, will be catching the bug.  Our answers lie in a whole series of things that need to be done within our county to get the County team motoring again, not changing the competition.  Weíll be so far down the pecking order in a 2nd tier that I would fear the life will go out of the thing altogether.

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #17976 on: June 06, 2019, 12:07:07 PM »
id say you will find the provisional championships go the same way as the hurling - group games where the winners go through to the Ulster final for instance and the bottom team relegated to the 2nd tier.

the winners of the second tier play a 3rd/4th place team in the next round.

Its only a rough idea but its more or less the same model as the hurling. they still have the lenister and munster finals in each case.

On another note i do think that we will beat Louth this weekend and move onto another game but if getting 2 games a year guaranteed is what people want to stay in the current format then we will continue down the same path we are on.
hurl like f**k boi!

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #17977 on: June 06, 2019, 01:53:51 PM »
Sportacus is the big day really a big day any more though? There was barely a post on here in the run up to the tyrone game and the attendance wasn't great either. I didn't see that as a big day and thought there was less enthusiasm about it than there has been in a long time in antrim and that is saying something.

The Louth game is a different prospect - we have a genuine chance of winning it. At least most games should be winnable or there's a glimmer of hope.

Sadly our county team has never been motoring during my life anyway.

Sportacus

• View Profile
« Reply #17978 on: June 06, 2019, 03:18:33 PM »
I canít say weíve had too many big days, but thereís always a bit of profile and talk in the run up to the first round.  This year was extreme because it was Tyrone. Iím not arguing that we donít need a big change, Iím just arguing that 2nd tier could see us disappear altogether.

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #17979 on: June 06, 2019, 04:48:34 PM »
i know what your saying Sportacus but at the same is that any different to whats happening to us now.

we're now of them counties referred to as in serious need of help to find out whats going on in the media but in reality they dont actually give one toss about us.
hurl like f**k boi!

Belfast GAA man

• View Profile
« Reply #17980 on: June 07, 2019, 03:54:47 PM »
Casement / Gaelfast for secondary schools / 2nd tier championship

These 3 ALL done well are what we need - 1 won't improve the space we are in

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #17981 on: June 08, 2019, 08:25:48 PM »
7 points up. Louth down to 13. Hopefully we can hold on to that lead.

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #17982 on: June 08, 2019, 08:29:24 PM »
Seem to have played well after a poor start.

Sportacus

• View Profile
« Reply #17983 on: June 08, 2019, 08:40:14 PM »
Louth for the 2nd tier.  Shouldnít be playing at our level.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #17984 on: June 08, 2019, 08:41:21 PM »
Yeeeooo. Something to shout about today after the disappointment of the hurling.